New Year Resolution.

amateurstuntman

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting Strength and GoMad:

2ijsx7m.jpg

Not even once....

I tried Starting Aesthetics a couple years back for a few months - worked a treat:

24gsu3p.jpg

Now I'm just enjoying the gym on a full body workout 3 days a week (only do 3 exercises for 3 sets each, hypertrophy rep range - Bench Press, Bent over rows and Military Press, could do more but I don't enjoy spending much longer in the gym).

Best hypertrophy routine I found was Layne Norton's PHAT, I would recommend it.

I crashed my bike on Friday last week.  I turned a corner onto a stretch of road that had been surface dressed with a chipping spreader.

I low sided and took a lot of skin off my thigh, calf, ankle, forearm, palms and shoulder.  I also broke my helmet, gloves and left shoe.

In addition the chainring gouged a nice deep mingina into my right ankle.

So, I am now £300 quid worse off although my new helmet is pretty cool and my DMT Lynx shoes are without exception the best cycling footwear I've ever owned (provisionally, we'll see how they last).

On Sunday I texted my amigo and said the Monday morning ride would be cancelled due to being helmetless and said I'd row instead.

He came along and we ended up doing 10 reps each of 250m intervals.

Pain.

Then my new helmet, shoes and rollers arrived so on Tuesday morning I did a "recovery" ride on the rollers and annihilated my core.

More pain.

This morning we planned to do a nice easy 32km ride since he was still feeling DOMS from Monday.

We arrived at work at 0550hrs so we could get our gear and do the ride before 0730hrs but the gate guard was late, by the time he finally rocked up to work there wasn't time to do any of our regular loops.

So Joe suggested hill reps and we did 7 reps of a local hill, only 250m of climbing total but the pace was quick.

Tomorrow I am doing nothing and give my poor battered body a rest.

I am now 91kg with a resting heart rate of 58.

On the hill reps today I was recovering from a peak of low 170s back down to 120s in under a minute.

"So, I am now £300 quid worse off although my new helmet is pretty cool"

"I am now 91kg with a resting heart rate of 58.

On the hill reps today I was recovering from a peak of low 170s back down to 120s in under a minute."

Worse off? Assuming the helmet took a battering - you're better for it, much rather hear you'd taken a helmet out of action than your skull/face!

Good props on the training, interval training is where its at. The amount of times a client used to say to me 'I don't have time' and then i'd melt them inside of 20 minutes was astonishing.

Yeah, nothing pushes your threshold like intervals but damn - they hurt.

The other thing is that it is all down to integrity, only you know if you are jacking on yourself.

I am only cross because the moronic road workers who resurfaced the road did half a job and left loose gravel everywhere.  I resent spending £300 because of incompetent street gangs.

I am all for helmets, I am alive because of helmets.

I have broken 9 of them including one where I broke my skull despite wearing one.  That would have killed me for sure.

On Sunday I did a normal 32km loop and yesterday I did 128km which is a distance PB.  100 miles in 2 days.  Fatigued and sunburned though.

Training is going well - back firmly on the horse after being distracted by being sick, and new girlfriend, but I realised I'd been making excuses for the better part of two weeks, so I just kicked my *albatross* back into gear.

Consciously trying to remove ego from the equation, and thus for easing back in I simply maintained my lifts at where they were pre-excuses. On deadlift I ended up adding an extra 5kg, because I felt supremely able...but then ego started to creep back in. All that was in my head was "Dude...you're 5kg off of 100...go on, break the hundred!" so thankfully I stayed my course, and just finished the work sets at 95kg. Bench took a hit thanks to the neurological side of things...strength wise I was capable, but I just wasn't firing in the right order so I was only able to maintain at 57.5kg. Incline on the other hand climbed up to 50kg (from 45kg), which I was happy with.

Preacher curl can still go to hell as far as I'm concerned...frustrating exercise where I end up feeling inept due to lack of weight gains (it is targetting the right area, and I know gains in weight are small anyway...but still), and hammer curl is fine. Dips on the rings was a nice change from the rack. On the rack I was pumping out sets of 10 with an additional 10kg strapped to me, though with the rings it was just bodyweight and 4 was what I could muster. Far better for the stabalisers, and a nicer pumped feeling.

Shoulder press is strong, though maintaining the weight - still getting used to weight over my head (I'd always been an advocate of bodyweight, so I'm used to handstand press ups), so it is something different. I was happy, and didn't feel the need to try and add weight.

I'm also getting back into playing football, which is a nice change - endurance from soccer is not quite like other endurance sports. You don't really control the pace you move at, unlike something like a marathon etc. Similarly the competitive aspect is nice, especially since there is no competition in things like the Parkour training. Variety = spice of life and all that!

On my martial art/fighting goals, I'm looking into Wing Chun at the moment, just to see what it's like. Hopefully checking that out next Wednesdays

Overall things are going according to plan...no complaints from me thus far!

Good to hear you're making progress :)

I just stepped back into the gym today after a week of inactivity (Gym being refurbished) - Strength levels have gone down slightly. Only managed 3 reps of 70KG (3 sets) for squats.

OHP is up to 10KG (dumbbells) which is good. Rows are at 30KG.

Fairly disappointing but I haven't been eating as much as I should be since I haven't been going to the gym.

As Inari said, I need to kick my *albartroth* into gear. Now I've got back into the gym it shouldn't be too difficult.

The eating is the hardest part for me, and truthfully the only way I maintained/improved. The training group I'm in is extremely supportive; the four of us are all personal trainers, and one of us has a certificate in Sports Science. It means that life doesn't get in the way...if you're too busy for the workout, we work out a different plan for that week that maintains and/or improves your gains for that week. Similarly we'd be keeping each other on the right track when it comes to food etc.

Since I'd been eating right (thanks to my mate's advice), I kept the gains and had the calories to add mass. Still, I find working out is not a problem...but just stopping myself from eating all of the time was the most difficult.

Really feeling the knock on effect of the last two sessions today. Last night was squats, lunges, pull ups, lateral raise, tricep kick back (with rear deltoid lift), and upright row. Arms are a little, erm, dead. My squats were held back due to the bar pressing into my traps as opposed to the actual strength of my legs. Squats are up to 95kg, which I'm happy with. Just wish I could have taken more on the shoulders.

Trialed out a new technique which felt a little better than the previous back squat method, though was a lot to think of at first.

Looking forward to a few drinks tonight to unwind and rest, ready for the next session

DOMS is often a sign of not quite enough diet. Don't forget to stretch, don't burn your CNS out and take recovery days and rest days.

When I was bulking hard a few years back I'd eat everything I could get my hands on, and despite setting some significant PB's with lifts I didn't feel DOMS half as much as I do when cutting.

If you fail a second time rewind the weights for a week - drop back to 70kg for week, then try building back up. Lots of food, lots of recovery and no shame in lighter weights.

Assuming it's not maximal lift failure, doing lower reps with the heavier weight will yield superior results. Going lighter will improve the neuromuscular pathways alright, but for muscle fibre recruitment higher weight lower reps is definitely better.

Now if it was a failure of technique, as opposed to just not being able to do any more reps then that's a different story.

Archived