Cheap Real Steel Optics

Krydel

Hey guys,

So I've been wondering about making a step up to real optics rather than crappy clones of aimpoints or eotechs and I figure there must be real optics about that aren't as expensive as the aforementioned, yet are solid choices.

Any suggestions for running on AR-15 platforms? Usually run a clone T1 or a M2.

I've found this website, which look decent, but I would welcome further suggestions.

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary-Arms-s/586.htm

Thanks in advance!

This is from when I (briefly) looked into getting a real steel red dot for my AEG - mainly due to frustration at the general -ness of airsoft clones.

The general consensus I found on real steel shooting forums in the US were that primaryarms scopes were a very good cheap alternative. 
They hold zero on real steel firearms (so will be fine for GBBs even), seem well built and have good clear dots/reticles.

However, primary arms won't ship to UK - ITAR restrictions or some such nonsense <sarcasm> cos we're all terrorists over here obviously </sarcasm>

I did find that brands to avoid were (off the top of my head, forgive me for any typos):
NCSTAR
PRO ARMS

If you find an easy way to get hold of the primaryarms red dots, do let me know - would be perfectly happy laying down $60-$90 on one of these seeing as it won't fall to bits & will actually be visible in anything other than pitch blackness ;)

@WTF?Shane - or anyone else in the US for that matter.
What would be the dealy-o on someone buying a an item like this within the US, then bringing it back with them on the plane (or one of you buying, then shipping to us) - I'm guessing no no as you'd be done for exporting restricted items (or whatever the restriction is on these)?

Found the Sparc on a UK website, so thats good. £148 (http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/sparc-red-dot-2-moa-150.aspx)

Also ran across the Vortex StrikeFire on the same website, which looks similar to an Aimpoint M2 (http://www.riflecraft.co.uk/products/red-green-dot-with-extra-high-mount-4-moa-146.aspx)

So thanks for pointing me in the right direction, to find some UK options.

I played around with a SPARC at the gun store recently and it seems like quite a nice little optic for the money. They were asking around $200 so it might be worth seeing if a U.S. dealer could get you one, since even with shipping it might beat £148.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

The Vortex sights are a good option, they a night vision compatible as well.  I have recently seen the Sparc on Ali Express for about $38 so beware!  Make sure you order through a reputable company like Riflecraft or you could get a Chinese Lemon.

Primary Arms T1.

Got one; nice clear glass (with a VERY slight tint of blue; nothing like the ACM clone sights) nice circular dot, and pretty cheap too.

Here's a good review of it:

http://230grain.com/showthread.php?67132-Is-my-optic-Ready-for-the-Tactical-Bathing-Environment-The-Primary-Arms-MD-02

cookingwithprimaryarms22.jpg

Also looks nice with fishsticks.

Primary Arms T1.

Got one; nice clear glass (with a VERY slight tint of blue; nothing like the ACM clone sights) nice circular dot, and pretty cheap too.

Here's a good review of it:

http://230grain.com/showthread.php?67132-Is-my-optic-Ready-for-the-Tactical-Bathing-Environment-The-Primary-Arms-MD-02

Also looks nice with fishsticks.

Ha, that picture is so bizarre.

Trouble is getting hold of Primary Arms stuff in the UK?

If you are willing to forkout £100 you might aswell go on ebay and get a real Eotech from USA. I got 2x eotechs from USA on ebay and an eotech Magnifier.

Not to be unkind, Siavash, but are you absolutely sure they're all the real deal?

Krydel, as Siavash rather convincingly accidentally demonstrated a week or so ago, when you buy RS kit from the US you run a lot of risks. ITAR is a major threat in this area, with many retailers putting a blanket ban on export rather than dealing with the minutiae of what is and isn't acceptable, and you end up buying from unaccredited outlets or private sellers, which puts you at considerable risk. The reason RS kit is so expensive from retailers over here is the cost of importing it legally; you can try to skirt the rules if you like to bring that cost down but it is not risk-free and if you or your exporter get caught you could be in quite serious legal trouble, depending upon what it is that's being exported.

£100 won't buy you a real EoTech, but it might get you a particularly battered old Aimpoint. I'd still be looking for low-end RS stuff; remember that you can deal with this sort of stuff within the EU without too much difficulty.

Not to be unkind, Siavash, but are you absolutely sure they're all the real deal?

Krydel, as Siavash rather convincingly accidentally demonstrated a week or so ago, when you buy RS kit from the US you run a lot of risks. ITAR is a major threat in this area, with many retailers putting a blanket ban on export rather than dealing with the minutiae of what is and isn't acceptable, and you end up buying from unaccredited outlets or private sellers, which puts you at considerable risk. The reason RS kit is so expensive from retailers over here is the cost of importing it legally; you can try to skirt the rules if you like to bring that cost down but it is not risk-free and if you or your exporter get caught you could be in quite serious legal trouble, depending upon what it is that's being exported.

£100 won't buy you a real EoTech, but it might get you a particularly battered old Aimpoint. I'd still be looking for low-end RS stuff; remember that you can deal with this sort of stuff within the EU without too much difficulty.

Either they're not real, or they must be battered. A quick ebay search in the US doesn't find anything legit in that price range. Even the Hurricane clones fetch about £100. 

I'll stick with looking to low-end RS stuff, its only airsoft after all, I just value a decent optic.

Any retailer recommendations for getting hold of any of the stuff mentioned in that blog? 

Incidentally, just emailed Riflecraft and they should be getting the new SPARC II and Strikefire in the next 3-4 weeks, with June/July for the entirely new optics they've got primed for release.

Ohh my eotechs are not £100!! Ahahah mine are real and i did ask about ITAR and the store's response was

"ITAR laws cover specific items that cannot be exported out of the U.S. There are other items that are restricted but eligible for export but only to specific countries without an export license. Those are mostly NATO countries. Finally some of those items can be shipped to other countries but require an export license. I do not ship items that require an export license because I am too small a business to deal with the government paperwork and approval delays. I have been informed by EOTECH export compliance officer that this is exportable to those NATO countries. That where things stand"

So yes he can ship to the UK. Each of my unit was £300 est. So mine are Real but he could just buy second hand ones for cheaper

"Assumption is mother of all *fruitcage* ups!"

But they again you can buy a g&g sight off rewolf for $150 so just save up and buy a decent optic and stay away for cheap ones. I have many optics over the years and i found they never hold zero.

When you say cheap, do you mean cheap Airsoft, or cheap RS optics?

If the latter, as far as I can tell, the Vortex Optics hold zero very well. There are countless good reviews and youtube videos of people explaining how they've used a SPARC for 2.5 years without ever having to change the zero on a real AR-15 variant. I'm sure my AEG won't cause many zeroing problems :P

If the former, I have an ACM T1 and it is absolute balls in all but appearance. 

Cheap airsoft mate, iver never used any cheap RS sights so i wouldnt know.

Gotcha, agreed on that one! Tactical Kit sell Eotechs fwiw, for £300-400 which isn't too bad and doesn't require importing from the US, though way out of my price range. 

Archived