Bought some Nuprol 3.0

bankz5152

Not necessarily. Take water for example.

Between 1 and 99 degrees Celsius, it takes up the same amount of space more or less. After 100 degrees it boils and becomes steam and takes up a whole heap more.

All it would need to be is something with a lower boiling point than propane.

Yes that's because it's below it boiling point. Liquid propane will behave similarly over the range -188 to -42, minimal volume change. With airsoft gases we are comparing different substances, all above their boiling points.

You are however correct in saying that the substance needs to have a lower boiling than propane to be more useful in the cold. The point I was making is that having a lower boiling point will mean that its vapour pressure is higher at all temperatures.

^

What he said. When it comes to using refrigerants for propulsion there's the boiling point which dictates its range of usefulness in room temperature, then there's the pressure curve of it and relative size of its molecules. For example, 134a boils at only 18° higher than propane (roughly the same range of usefulness to us) but the pressure difference gets pretty big past 25°C (big fps difference). And yet due to its smaller size can hold more gas worth of shots making it seem more efficient but all it is is being able to stuff more gas in per charge.

I have yet to see a graph where the pressure curves cross over. Thus, as I said, a gas which performs better at low temperatures will perform better at any given temperature.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I made a baller graph:

Pressuregraph.png

So R-22 overtakes propane pretty early on, and builds up to a small difference - didn't know that. Somewhat irrelevant though because no one uses R22 and it's not easily available 'cos it's a horrendous greenhouse gas.

Just citing it as an example mate. They're all horrible greenhouse gases compared to CO2 but r22 was phased out due to ozone depletion as with r12. There's also hfc22 (ozone friendly replacement of r22), the original "green gas" if you will which follows a very similar path as r22. Meaning intersections in pressure curves exist and there are dozens of categorized refrigerants out there discounting mixed gasses which might give a result of lower temperature range use without being drastically over powered at warmer ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid question, but anyone know where I can find this stuff stateside?  I live in Southern California, if that helps.

To contribute, I have a chrono and infrared thermometer to conduct a test :)  I will be testing it out of my KWA 1911 PTP MK2, WE P14 (hicapa style internals and mag), and whatever GBBs I can borrow from friends. 

Archived