RA-Tech custom GBB rifles

perunanuija

Stay far away from RA-Tech until you're quite confident with GBB mechanics, RA-Tech stuff are great in the sense that they are often the only people making certain steel parts, but their tolerances can be awful, requiring a good amount of filing and sanding for things to work well. 

Agree with blobface on this.

The general concensus on RA Tech steel parts and kits are that they are not as good as they should be. Both in terms of fit and quality but also durability.

I have heard my fair share of disatisfied RA Tech customers complain about various things.

I myself have also experienced them not being up to par.

My strategy for my WER GBBR rifles are:

Run stock internals until they break. 

Buy new stock internals and replace.

Only when I can't source stock internals anymore to I go to steel.

Or of there is any obvious flaw in the stock internals that steel parts solve once and for all.

It's just not worth it unless you have a very good reason really.

I made a GHK M4 for myself. I used few RA-Tech parts, like aluminium receiver and steel bolt carrier. I found the following issues with the receiver:

- They didn't sent rollpin for the forward assist and used different size from the stock configuration.

- The trigger guard locking pin hole miss-drilled.

- The stock GHK bolt carrier can not move in the upper receiver, I could move in aroun 2-3 centimeter and it is stucked.

- All the pin sizes was miss-drilled, they was to tight.

- Hopefully they solved the burst fire issue on semi, but in the past there was a lot issue with the first few receivers.

- The takedown pin and pivoit pin has 6.2mm diameter but they driller 6.0mm hole for them, brusnstsgnads....worth for $235...

Let me see the other parts...

- WA M4 aluminium nozzle, the stainless steel nozzle tip easier break, after every 2 years...

- The NPAS has a design issue and I got jams because the piston o-ring jam.

- The NPAS flute valve is extremely weak and the often jam in the nozzle.

- The WE M4 valve-knocker caused jams on the hammer in my WE G39.

- Often the WE M4 valve-knocker delayer jams or can not move smoothly.

I made a GHK M4 for myself. I used few RA-Tech parts, like aluminium receiver and steel bolt carrier. I found the following issues with the receiver:

- They didn't sent rollpin for the forward assist and used different size from the stock configuration. 

Same here, I had to buy random rollpins to make it work with the forward assist.

Same issue, my Magpul trigger guard in combination with my pistol grip is super tight, as a result it's very snug without the need of a pin, hardly ideal though.

- The stock GHK bolt carrier can not move in the upper receiver, I could move in aroun 2-3 centimeter and it is stucked.

Exact same problem here, I had to file it for a very long time and dremel polish the inside until it cycles.

Don't remember this problem myself, but it proves my point about poor tolerances. 

- Hopefully they solved the burst fire issue on semi, but in the past there was a lot issue with the first few receivers.

I had this problem but was solved by filing one of the sears as suggested by Nugentgl / L2E. 

- The takedown pin and pivoit pin has 6.2mm diameter but they driller 6.0mm hole for them, brusnstsgnads....worth for $235...

My set seem to have come with its own pin set so this was okay. 

Agree with blobface on this.

The general concensus on RA Tech steel parts and kits are that they are not as good as they should be. Both in terms of fit and quality but also durability.

I have heard my fair share of disatisfied RA Tech customers complain about various things.

I myself have also experienced them not being up to par.

Or of there is any obvious flaw in the stock internals that steel parts solve once and for all.

NonEx has hit the nail on the head here. Exactly what I did with my old WEs and what I do with my teams rifles. 

Here's the trick. Generally speaking, OEM parts break because of some miss alignment, off tolerances, etc. Whenever you replace stock zamac parts for alluminum or steel without fixing the issue that got them to break in the first place, you'll one transpose the problem to somewhere else and start breaking yet another piece, and that can get into an infinite loop of frustration. 

I recommend using the guns in their stock form (with the exception of bucking and barrel, obviously) and try to shim it to perfection. Usually the only correction needed is some tape in the mag well to prevent wobble, and perhaps polishing some parts here and there, and the zamac will resist a million years. 

If you ever break a part, take a moment to analyse what causes it to break, address it, and only then replace it, preferably for other OEM part.

There are a few exceptions like the WE AK fire control group which absolutely needs to be upgraded to steel, but even then, it's better to get the Hephaestus, WII, or WE's own steel parts, than RA-Tech. RA parts are usually grossly out of spec, which introduces further problems.

Same here, I had to buy random rollpins to make it work with the forward assist.

Same issue, my Magpul trigger guard in combination with my pistol grip is super tight, as a result it's very snug without the need of a pin, hardly ideal though.

Exact same problem here, I had to file it for a very long time and dremel polish the inside until it cycles.

Don't remember this problem myself, but it proves my point about poor tolerances. 

I had this problem but was solved by filing one of the sears as suggested by Nugentgl / L2E. 

My set seem to have come with its own pin set so this was okay. 

I bought this gun as used gun but the owner doesn't modificated any of components/parts.

Yes, Nugent also spent a lot time to make the gun working properly. :(

I stopped the polishing and filing on the stock bolt carrier after 1 day because it ruined me. The joke is that the RAT bolt carrier also didn't move as smooth as the stock bolt carrier in the stock upper receiver. Now I bought a complete GHK receiver set and a GHK bolt carrier set and now, the gun work much better.

I almost forget the biggest issue. The bolt carrier has ofset in the receiver, it's position is different and that is why it started to "eat" the nozzle(s). The bolt carrier is below from the perfect position that is why I needed to re-design the barrel extension (after 3-4 hours of filling). After this fine work, the gun load any BBs without any jams or damage. Before the modification the nozzle's loading pin damaged and after time the nozzle break at the locking lugs imitations...

Got some pictures of what you had to do to the barrel extension? 

Generally the stock barrel extension has really sharp edges and machining.

I often find burrs everywhere and because the bolt isn't in good position the nozzle get more stress.

Yes, later I will make a photo. I filed the following positions:

- locking lugs place - wider, filed a radius from the square

- loading pin place - more wider, filed down to reach correct Y-axis position

- breaked all the needed edge to smoother

- extra filing and polishing on the loading ramp, a lot testing with BBs when I did this

I just can't accept that when you buy aftermarket parts that you have to troubleshoot, do major modifications and file/polish to even make the thing work. Even less so if the components are from the same aftermarket manufacturer. I.e. receiver and bolt from RAT... Not at those prices anyways.

Fugg de steel parts is my tag line on this :D

And no RAT for me unless I have to.

IMHO Ra Tech are simply retarded idiots, every thing I have bought from them has been a fail, including the ra trp for €1700 which was their best product by a mile. Simply stay away from any thing ra tech. FYI I had a massive row with them over how they are, I sent them a Facebook message letting them know of their retarded nature.

Kind of off topic but I am still scared for life after my RA Tech Kimber which was advertised as "full steel". They had a video pointing all over the gun saying how everything was CNC steel made etc.

Got the $900 USD gun home only to find out that it was a KJW MEU base gun with steel slide, sights, outer barrel, bushing and spring plug and frame...

oh dear!! That is poor! 

I havnt trusted them since the G39 was released. As expected after about 10k rounds the internals started to fail, que RA-Tech steel. It never worked again, every internal part possible was replaced, sanded where needed etc.. Stripped multiple times by myself and someone much better, still never worked properly.

Sold it. Bought a new G39, worked brilliantly, parts broke around the 10k mark again replaced with OEM guess what? It ran for another 10k!

For everything negative everyone and myself have said about this company, I still buy from them, my steel XDM, HK45, Glock, M&P9, stainless hi-capa, M14 socom, GHK Jack Carbine, and many more simply can't exist if it weren't for RA-Tech's parts. They kinda suck, but sadly for many items they are the only people making it, so there are no alternatives for the steel parts. If there were, I would go for the alternative, but because I have had many successful builds that I like a lot were created because of RA-Tech's offerings, their impression for me isn't solely negative. 

My version:

Run stock till something break.

Go to distributor store, nag the shopkeeper, ask him to dig old conversion kit from the abyss of warehouse.

Pay said kit at the price of 2-ish magazines.

Replace just the broken thing or EVERYTHING.

Repeat.

When conversion kit is gone, dig my pile of spares I already have or buy new parts.

I have a Old Gen Ra Build M4, it does run ok, few problems now and then, got the cnc upper and man that was a nightmare, so much filing on holes and had to polish in the inside so the stock bolt can even move inside it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived