Help me choose a new EDC bag

Tw1tch

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a new bag for everyday carry purposes and was looking to pick your collective minds.

Currently I use a WAS Pegasus backpack with a BFG Trauma Kit Now! on the side, which I love for it's capacity, build quality and two front pockets for organisation, however it's simply too tactical looking (even without the TKN!) and I want something a bit more discreet whilst still offering me similar features.

ONE thing I'm not prepared to compromise on is having a trauma kit with chest seals, gauze, bandages, CAT somewhere in the bag (I know this is extreme but it pays to be prepared), it'd be handy if a removable carriage was designed into the bag for this but I could do with a kit I make up in a smaller pocket.

So ideally:

25l+ capacity (I carry a whole set of clothes spare and buy quite a lot from the shop daily).

No/minimal external MOLLE webbing

Small external pocket for waterproof

Needs an organiser for pens, markers, torch, multitool, portable power bank etc

Somewhere to stash a set of sunglasses (currently using an Oakley hard case but might swap to a cloth bag for EDC)

Side pockets for water bottles

Internal Velcro/MOLLE for customisation is a bonus. I appreciate if I wanted to get crafty I could do this myself

Discrete colours, I personally love grey.

Currently thinking of the 5.11 Tactical COVRT18, it's a lot of money and has features I don't need (I won't be carrying weapons for example) but it seems to be for for purpose.

Just wondering if you guys have any suggestions, I've been looking for a couple of weeks now.

Aye definitely worth a look.

I like the design and concept of the Vertx EDC Gamut but as I won't be carrying weapons some of the features aren't that appealing and the cost has almost given me heart palpitations.

I've had a Foliage green maxpedition satchel for about 6 years now, and use it nearly every day (taking my lunch stuff to work, general EDC carry, water bottle, wallet, kindle etc) and there's loads of room left over. 

The Helikon-tex Bushcraft Satchel looks pretty good, but might be a bit small for you. 

The 5.11 Havoc 30 looks alright, as well. Looks nice in the grey, also the KarrimorSF Delta 25

The Havoc is one of the bags on my currently very short list, will check out those others. Hadn't considered Heinnie actually, had been on a load of stores but mainly airsoft/tactical where discreet maybe isn't the most desirable thing.

I've been using a Blackhawk! Diversion messenger bag for a while as my EDC bag. This specific bag may not have the volume you're looking for, but it's part of a line of stylish and covert CCW bags.

They make the line in grey and brown waxed military canvas. Very smart zip and clasp designs.

I'm realizing now they they are out of production. They may be a little hard to find, but I think the ruck sack is your speed. Here's a review:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/10/blackhawk-diversion-wax-canvas-rucksack/amp/

I bit the bullet so to speak and after having had my eye on it for a few days went with the 5.11 COVRT18 in Asphalt from Military1st who currently have a 15% off sale so getting it for less than £90.

Unfortunately they're out of stock of most of them if anyone else wants one.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and if I don't get on with the COVRT for any reason I'll look into these other options you've given me. :)

I'll vouch for 5.11 build quality too, had 2 of theirs.

Ill also vouch for heinnie, their customer service is faultless. They have price-matched for me in the past too when I asked, as I would rather buy from them :)

I have one of the really small maxpedition bags and its really nice for the wheelchair but its very tactical and nowhere near the capacity of your 5.11 purchase. How about a long term review as you use it i know I would be interested as I'm sick of pants gear failing when its just out of warranty or actually been used 3-5 times heavily.

Aye, I shall endeavour to write up a review and come back to it after using it as my EDC for a substantial time.

So far very happy with it, it's got the features I was after and a bunch I didn't need but I'm sure I can find a way to make use of them.

I have one of the really small maxpedition bags and its really nice for the wheelchair but its very tactical and nowhere near the capacity of your 5.11 purchase. How about a long term review as you use it i know I would be interested as I'm sick of pants gear failing when its just out of warranty or actually been used 3-5 times heavily.

Have you looked at the 5.11 moab 6 ? It's my EDC of choice (has been for 5plus yrs now) and a good friend who has some very big health problems uses one to carry all his meds (has a shed full !) and what not and he's still got more than enuf room for all his other daily bits'n'bobs as well.

I haven't but probably should I need a day bag for stuff Plus an overnight bag as well really iv got a nice satchel for cane days and the maxpedition type thing is ace for just into town stuff really but i do need a larger option for wheelchair travel.

I also need to do some stuff reorganising really. With having health issues + being a writer and a vaper as well as you know vaguely being a girl albeit one whose make up bag contains chaostick, an eyeliner pencil that's blunt and three d20, a pair of d10 and a d4* does mean i tend to carry allot of stuff.

*and for some reason a couple of .20 white madbulls and a .25 bio from blaster but... We're all airsofters so that 'why the hell do i have BBs in my bag/boot/car/hiody/cigarette case is kind of a given

Nice looking pack , I'm a VERY big fan of 5.11 (hence I have 6 in different sizes and colors!) due to all the pouches they have incorporated into them , I know exactly we're everything is in all my different packs as there all prity much laid out in the same configuration.

Archived