Should the English Police be armed?

cpaxton

Do you guys think that all English policemen should carry a gun? It seems that they could be pretty useful at the moment and may help deter criminals, and make the officers feel safer. Might also be easier for Policemen/women without backup to control a situation.

edit:spelling

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well it does sometimes seem quite ridiculous when an officer comes under fire, they can't retaliate except calling for backup then try and stay safe. The criminals with guns know this and it gives them the upper hand.

On the other side of the coin there's the argument that if we arm all the police then criminals will strive to get a piece to be on a level playing field, so we'll have even more guns coming in to the country and more shootings.

I think we're the only country in Europe who doesn't have a fully armed police. That's quite strange in this day and age.

No, absolutely not.

It has been my experience (and that of many others) that American police officers can be somewhat trigger happy, and are often sadly lacking when it comes to exercising proper safety.

The only weapons I would give to British police officers would be non-lethal weapons like tasers.

The last thing you want is a policeman misreading the situation and capping an innocent bystander because he looked at him a bit funny. The ARV units are quite capable and I think that they are the only ones who should be allowed to handle firearms.

Well it does sometimes seem quite ridiculous when an officer comes under fire, they can't retaliate except calling for backup then try and stay safe. The criminals with guns know this and it gives them the upper hand.

On the other side of the coin there's the argument that if we arm all the police then criminals will strive to get a piece to be on a level playing field, so we'll have even more guns coming in to the country and more shootings.

I think we're the only country in Europe who doesn't have a fully armed police. That's quite strange in this day and age.

Yeah that was what I was thinking, with increasing criminals with guns officers are put in danger quite often. If we were able to control illegal gun smuggling it would also help a lot.

No, absolutely not.

It has been my experience (and that of many others) that American police officers can be somewhat trigger happy, and are often sadly lacking when it comes to exercising proper safety.

The only weapons I would give to British police officers would be non-lethal weapons like tasers.

The last thing you want is a policeman misreading the situation and capping an innocent bystander because he looked at him a bit funny. The ARV units are quite capable and I think that they are the only ones who should be allowed to handle firearms.

Tasers have very short range and can not engage multiple targets!

But it's not just in America police carry guns gazchap. That's such a cliché. French, Spanish, German and Italian police all cary guns, and you don't hear of those countrys turning in to a bad day in Bosnia every day in the newspapers.

Ummm lets think about that.... well if your armed with a table leg your *fruitcage*ed, as we don't really live in a gun culture and most not all police are just idiots i think you would be hearing stories like 5yr old child shot for waving a water pistol about.

i mean there going to be the death of airsoft like it or not because they cant catch the real crims so they go after the nuffys who think there gangsters and buy maruis etc and rob old women.

If they hired people who wanted to be police because they belive they can make a diffrence insted of just getting numbers then they might have a case.

Do you know how long an armed police officer gets off if he/she has to shoot someone ???? i do

Tasers have very short range and can not engage multiple targets!

They can if they carry more than one of them! ;)

But it's not just in America police carry guns gazchap. That's such a cliché. French, Spanish, German and Italian police all cary guns, and you don't hear of those countrys turning in to a bad day in Bosnia every day in the newspapers.

Good point, and if the British police were trained correctly then it would probably be OK.

Personally I just don't like the idea of ANY police force having guns as standard. It is (IMO) just too much potential for mistakes. Leave it to the armed response teams, they do a brilliant job as it is.

The police should be entitled to defend themselves - through non-lethal weapons. In a country where to be quite blunt I wouldn't trust the average policeman with a patrol-car, I would definitely not feel safer seeing police officers carrying potentially lethal weapons.

Tasers may not 'even the scores', but I don't see why the general public should be put at risk for a minority who whilst I'm sure are very brave, put on a uniform knowing full well the risks they face. However, preferably I would like to see tax money spent equipping all police patrols with at least some form of non-lethal ranged weapon. Call me crazy, but wouldn't a tranq-firing weapon be an effective deterrant and also enable a n officer to defend themselves much more easily?

I also lived in CROATIA for a year in 93 when all hell was breaking lose and the armed police were cool because they were "police" but when i went back in 98 they let anyone join and then you get problems with ego's and if you dont stop and produce they pull a gun on you, or if you speed they get you out your car with a gun because it adds impact to person who has no presence.

I think most of you don't trust the police and seem to think that if they have guns they will randomly shoot people. I believe this will not be the case, They are highly trained and deserve a little trust. I think that it comes down to if they want to carry guns, if they feel safer and better equiped then ok, if they don't want them then don't make them.

That's exactly the reason why I would not trust most male police officers with firearms. There's a huge amount of testosterone floating around with many officers as it is, and as can be seen from the way many of the drive around here (whether off or on duty), the 'authority' that their role gives them makes it all the easier for them feel inclined to ignore the rules that they supposedly should enforce. I fear that such an abuse of power would occur inevitably in regards to firearms. The police are just as human as anyone else of course, and so when placed in a position of power, they'll be just as likely be tempted to take advantage of that as the next. :)

Edit: want to see how the police can abuse their powers if the environment allows it? Go to Ibiza and marvel at their use of night-sticks of 'unruly mobs', which apparrently translates as random good-looking strangers who seem to be having more luck with the girls than them. It certainly gives you a whole new respect on authority...:)

That's exactly the reason why I would not trust most male police officers with firearms. There's a huge amount of testosterone floating around with many officers as it is, and as can be seen from the way many of the drive around here (whether off or on duty), the 'authority' that their role gives them makes it all the easier for them feel inclined to ignore the rules that they supposedly should enforce. I fear that such an abuse of power would occur inevitably in regards to firearms. The police are just as human as anyone else of course, and so when placed in a position of power, they'll be just as likely be tempted to take advantage of that as the next. :)

But why would England be different to other countries? You rarely hear of Italian or German officers abusing power and shooting innocent civilians for nothing do you? Why should it be different in England? They might help, especially with the likelihood of terrorist attacks.

Yeah that was what I was thinking, with increasing criminals with guns officers  are put in danger quite often. If we were able to control illegal gun smuggling it would also help a lot.

Very difficult, seeing as we're an island; double edged sword that one...

In my opinion, squad cars should be armed with 40mm cannons, and 4 ground to air missiles, for those tight situations :D

"Holy ######, it's an armed Panda!"

In all sincerity tho, arming the police force would almost definately result in more criminal deaths. Whether it will result in trigger-happy policemen is another matter. It is my opinion that making sweeping statements along the lines of 'all policemen are testorone driven brutes and giving them guns is a bad idea' is a little unfair.

I think the ARU do a fine job to be honest, what have you to complain about?

*British policemen are walking down street*

*they see an armed bank robbery underway*

Of course, they can't really intervene, because they don't have weapons. So they call the ARU, who take 15mins to turn up. By that point, the aremed robbery's been and gone.

Surely the entire point of a police officer is that they can deal with any crime that comes up?

The other thing of course is that a lot of people just aren't emotionally equipped for dealing with the realisation that they have ended someone's life.

OK so it might be a criminal that they shoot but it is still someone's life. Many people can't cope with that.

The other thing of course is that a lot of people just aren't emotionally equipped for dealing with the realisation that they have ended someone's life.

OK so it might be a criminal that they shoot but it is still someone's life. Many people can't cope with that.

I think that's something you have to come to grips with when you join the force. I fully intend to become a police officer, it's been a goal of mine for some time now. Having spoken to officers all over the country I know that having to use lethal force is something that may come up in the line of duty. I think the solution is to prepare cops for the responsibility of such an act rather than crippling them in a time of crisis.

My $.02

-A

*PS - I'm saving some cash to buy a buddy of mine's Taser. He used to do Bounty Hunting and he's a certified Trainer, so I will be well prepared. I've been debating whether or not to get a hand gun for some time now (my business is rather remote and at night I am the only person leaving the building to an unlit parking lot). I decided to go with non-lethal force as the liabilty is significantly reduced should I have to defend myself. When I become an officer I will under go extensive firearms training and carry a handgun.

I dont oppose it for reasons of police incompetence, in fact the police are one of the few public services i still have some respect for (excluding traffic police).

My argument against police carrying guns is that criminals then arm themselves to the same standard and so it will just escalate until what would be a quiet situation might turn into a gunfight reminisent of something the army has to endure as we see with American SWAT teams and the situations theyre called in for

*British policemen are walking down street*

*they see an armed bank robbery underway*

Of course, they can't really intervene, because they don't have weapons. So they call the ARU, who take 15mins to turn up. By that point, the aremed robbery's been and gone.

Surely the entire point of a police officer is that they can deal with any crime that comes up?

sums up my point.

Archived