Wht gun goes with Who

Pyro

I once saw the Austrian police carry AUG's in an airport.

I remember thinking "JEBUS! if he fires that canon in here we are all DEAD!"

I also saw UK police at airports with G36's which look bloody brilliant!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(Don't sure if anyone said these already)

The Colt M16-A4 is being used/ current issue to United States Marines, and some United States Army Soldiers (3rd Infantry Div, 1st Infantry Div, 3rd Armored Div)

The Steyr AUG is also being used my the Irish Army, and Irish Army Ranger Wing.

It looks as if the Iraqi Army National Guard is going to be using the M16A1, and AK-47 (like they are now) and there Special Forces using the M16-A2 Carbine & M4 Carbine.

The Commandos used the tompson. My Grandad got hold of a tompson in the home front, but only fired it, didn't accually use it as he used an SMLE. So someone in the British army had a tompson in service. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the commandoes used the tompson, but switched to the sten due to reliability issues.

Nope...it wasn´t reliability...Thompson is rock sturdy and a good weapon...but as the german Bergman MP or the german MP18 it was manufactured from machined parts and extremly expensive. For the cost of one Thompson there were about 10 Sten SMG - and they were called ugly and unreliable. But the Sten was made from embossed parts ;) According to the financial situation of Great Britain at this point of war this was not a decission of national pride as Britain was nearly bankrupt ... that´s when the land lease programm started.

Also the americans replaced the Thompson by a gun from embossed production: the grease gun; faster to produce and much cheaper.

So the Thompson was the standard SMG of the British Army near the mid of the war till the Sten was delivered. But also till the middle of the war SMG were not widely seen. MP40 for example was developed for the tank crews. Later the need of more fire power for the normal soldiers gained more interest and of cause the fighting distances lowered so the rifles were to strong and to bulky. ;)

Archived