Didn't know where to put this really, but here goes...

Are M16's used with suppressors in real life, and if so, what ones and is their an airsoft equivalent. urban-ninja has enlightened me to the world of the suppressor, and I'm thinking about hushing up the M15 now.

I was just wondering if troops bother using sup's on such a long rifle, or do they just use M4's for that sort of business? I shall probably put a similar request to this on MilPhotos.net, but just hedging my bets here B)

Edited by doc_newstead

Well it would be like a marksman rifle or what-not, wouldn't it? I know it would be huge, but I was just curious if it is done, or can be done. And as for huge guns, they can look cool sometimes... B)

*cough*Mark 11 Mod 0*cough*

OPS Inc is probably your best option when it comes to realism. They make .223 suppressors specifically for longer barrel rifles like SPRs M16s etc. There are a whole bunch of companys that make replicas of them. As far as the real ones go they are not too big.

Their website probably has some good pictures. I'm pretty sure they have some videos as well: www.opsinc.us Off had I know that UNCo has some in stock.

Are you all midgets or something? :lol:

It doesn't look like it makes it *that* much longer:

ar15a2.jpg

And besides, I haven't said what I'd be using it for anyway B) I certainly won't be ducking into rooms with the bugger.

Edited by doc_newstead
Didn't know where to put this really, but here goes...

Are M16's used with suppressors in real life, and if so, what ones and is their an airsoft equivalent. urban-ninja has enlightened me to the world of the suppressor, and I'm thinking about hushing up the M15 now.

I was just wondering if troops bother using sup's on such a long rifle, or do they just use M4's for that sort of business? I shall probably put a similar request to this on MilPhotos.net, but just hedging my bets here B)

Yes. Force recon has been known to have men with suppressor equipped M16A3/A4s. But they are only used when necessary, for some length reasons. This is all depending on the mission though. It would most likely be a lengthened SOCOM 5.56 suppressor, but I'm not even in a % of assuredness. :P Some Google might yield results, but who knows.

Edited by M1911A2 guy

For a Vietnam M16 what ye seek is the olde HEL suppressor, which incidentally can be spotted in some of HeuteGegangen's piccies.

Currently there is quite a range of suppressors on the market for centerfire rifles. Though in the absence of replicas of the beauts from GemTech I would say go M4QD for a quick fix.

I think I've seen replicas of Brugger and Thomet suppressors though I can't be sure.

Just so you know those big lookin SOCOM suppressors are for fancy 7.62 SR25s, not 5.56 M16s.

Notice the "most likely". Suppressors aren't my bag. If I was a suppressor expert, then I would have told him the number of these and thats capable of being used on the M16. And I was aware of the SR25 suppressor, but I was guessing at the SOCOM styled one. Mostly because it seemed feasable. Enlongate the 5.56 SOCOM suppressor to accomodate the higher muzzle velocity of the M16A2/A3/A4, and wallah! Quiet weapon with range. So, bah.

Edited by M1911A2 guy

A friend of mine just bought this custom SR-15. It is lengthy. I am 6' Even, and when i put the weapon at my side, butt at the floor, it comes up to my chest. The individual seen here holding the weapon, is slightly taller than me, and he's a twig in terms of body build:

normal_Ciotti.jpg

Just so you know those big lookin SOCOM suppressors are for fancy 7.62 SR25s, not 5.56 M16s.

"SOCOM" is a pretty generalized term. Prehaps he was referring to the QD supressor that is always shown in the "M4a1 SOPMOD" package, not the Knight's Armament .45ACP or "SOCOM" as everyone seems to call it supressor for the MK-23.

Edited by skyler8158
A friend of mine just bought this custom SR-15.  It is lengthy.  I am 6' Even, and when i put the weapon at my side, butt at the floor, it comes up to my chest.  The individual seen here holding the weapon, is slightly taller than me, and he's a twig in terms of body build:

normal_Ciotti.jpg

hes nicked my bloody gun :blink: j/k

bugger i forgot to take that pic last night,sorry doc,il post it when i get back from college :)

cheers

Aimpoint

"SOCOM" is a pretty generalized term. Prehaps he was referring to the QD supressor that is always shown in the "M4a1 SOPMOD" package, not the Knight's Armament .45ACP or "SOCOM" as everyone seems to call it supressor for the MK-23.

Right you are. They just all look like the 45 suppressor you see on the Mk23 so I call anything with weld marks thats made by KAC a SOCOM.

• 2 months later...

HOLY NECROMANCER, BATMAN!

Before my M16A2 turned into what it is now, it's peak length was roughly 3.5ft to about 4ft (When stock, the M16A2 is roughy 1 meter, or ~3 ft.)

Basically what happened was my Dad and I screwed up the threads and ended up attaching a barrel extension (that was supposed to replace the bit of barrel just after the front sight) and then we attached a silencer. It was incredibly long and in the end I eventually ripped up the foam inside of the silencer.