Battle Royale Fans?

flipsnip

The first Battle royale wipes the floor with the sequel without a doubt.I struggled to watch the second one finding fault with most of It and what really really annoyed me noone ever reloaded their A.K they just kept on firing and firing and firing.I heard about the sequel a while back and I was Itching to get my mitts on It finally got It watched It and thought to myself Is that It??

At least the exploding collars with the blood effects made up for some parts

I've seen the first BR like yonks ago! I still haven't seen the sequel, I heard it's nothing compared to the first one, but it still rocks. I lend it on VCD but didn't get the chance to watch it.. Now I don't have it anymore.. :'(

BR = teenage kids with guns = fun fun fun!! ^__^

i am a fan of the BR films, and was at the uk premiere for it some years back.

we were interviewed afterwards, and on the tv show a coupl eweeks later theyd edited everyones interviews to make it look bad.

the first film, based on a book that was pretty controversial in japan [and has now been translated to english], was pretty decent, though it is very much focused around japanese society, youth culture etc, and those outside of japan might not be able to see beyond the humour/violence/gore, which is very much black humoured, as is common [ie. scenes that might have otherwise been shot with a very dark gritty style in the west, is approached light heartedly in this example]

the screenplay credit goes to kinji's [the director, a welll established film director] son, who also takes over his fathers directorial role, as well as writing credit on the sequel.

kinji had terminal cancer and knew that BR2 was going to be his last film.

sadly he died earlier than expected, and his son directs all but one of the scenes.

the sequel has no such basis, unlike the first, and seems to seek to only do what the first did, only with bigger and better bangs and to throw sticks and stones at the us and its foreign policy.

the sequel fails to make it bigger and better and fails to do anything with its childlike political posturing, and so fails on just about all accounts, including its attempt to be a decent film..

all that said, i am a fan of kitano 'beat' takeshi and always relish his humourous camero appearances in films and shows, as well as his very good films which are very highly recommended [zatoichi was his latest, but check out others like violent cop, boiling point, sonatine, hana-bi, brothers [possibly his weakest], etc].

and i do rather fancy the sniper chick, who has also done [schoolgirl] horror flicks

and is in ['chicks n guns' series] gun crazy 4..

far eastern cinema [esp, japan, korea, hk, thailand, vietnam, china, taiwan, etc] is very good in its own right, and quite alot of it far surpasses the average stuff that gets churned out on a daily basis from some of the western powerhouses..

Maaaaaaan..... Someone really knows their **** lol!

Nice to see a Takeshi fan these days! I can't talk to anyone about the guy as he's simply not known of in this country (apart from BBC's, Japanese and Chinese diehard fans)

Violent cop made me laugh so hard... Black humour all the way I say...

Also, the first BR, how the....oh wait, I'll spoil it for others who haven't watched it. I'd like to say one of the last scenes in the end was a total disappointment at trying to apply black humour at the wrong places.. OMG..

Not intending to hi-jack this or anything but.....is anyone into Japanese horror films? Like Ring 1, 2 and Zero? Audition? (man the story is impossible to understand..) Versus? Etc Etc?

I enjoyed Battle Royal, in fact, i wrote to the PM a couple of years ago suggesting exploding collars for miscreants. didnt get a reply....

the sequel isnt a patch on the first. No doubt some hollywood director will make an american version which will be rubbish- seeing, as someone already mentioned, the first film is centred around japanese youth culture. it will be like the Ring i reckon...

yeah, i havent seen it myself just yet as i've been too busy.

i also missed the uk premiere of lavish sci-fi fest 'casshern', helmed by hikki's [hikaru utada, known in the us as cubic u when she was 12, known in the west now as having done the music to kingdom hearts [a remix/translation [altho she songwrites in english anyway] of one of her old jpop hits - hikari/simple and clean] husband [normally a music video dir].

sadly i learn that hollywood have seen it and now want to do a remake of it..

theyve just released a us remake of the korean horror flick ju-on..

i havent seen the us remake of the ring, but i enjoyed the originals.

again, us are remaking 'infernal affairs', which is a very good hk film [weak female characters tho..] - and they seem to be making an awful lot of changes to it..

versus is one of my favourite japanese films - a yakuza v zombies type comedy horror which is quite superb.

the director then released a sci-fi prison flick, which is rather boring, but went on to make the film version of manga azumi.

this is a great flick, all comedy gore, sword slashing, with an immensely cute little japanese girl at the centre of it [aya ueto - shes the sword wielding one in my avatar - japanese tv series starlet and jpop-strel] ..

for more zombie v yakuza fun, you could try wild zero, which versus [made later] is often compared to, but to be quite honest just isnt as much fun and nears slightly boring, if only for the sillyness of the main characters [real life j-rock band] guitar wolf, and their manager-turned-pursuer trying to shoot them in his immensely tight hot pants...

japans film industry goes back a long way, and its worth checking out some of the older features too.

branded to kill, is a great b&w flick, as is tokyo drifter, a very colourful 60s gangster flick..

if you want more gore and weirdness, you could try anything by takeshi miike [ichi the killer for example] - great fun!

Still haven't watched the second, even though I had 2 weeks to watch it.. I didn't bother lol..

BR1 = Ownage. Especially whathisname with the SPAS12 blowing whatsthatname's head off.. without pumping the shotgun lol... Sooooo tell that was a TM SPAS12....Not to mention the TM AEG Uzi either... lolage

Have you seen the US version? Believe me, you don't wanna. If you seen the US version but not the original then you'd think the US version rocks.....       

....But it doesn't. Not by a long shot

DId I read this right? A US version for BR?! Nobody can recreate Fusaku's[i think thats how you spell it] work. I'd have to say the first BR had more meaning to it. The second just was for the violences and fighting. But I still like both of them.

the first was based on a proper bona fide book.

the second was based..on..er..not much..

no, there is no us version of BR, he was talking about The Ring.

talking of remaking far eastern horror films, hollywood have just remade Ju-On, as The Grudge, and then released both films [the original Korean Ju-On] at the same time..

DId I read this right? A US version for BR?! Nobody can recreate Fusaku's[i think thats how you spell it] work. I'd have to say the first BR had more meaning to it. The second just was for the violences and fighting. But I still like both of them.

I'M TALKING ABOUT "RING" NOT BR!

Although I HAVE heard rumours (ages ago) there WAS going to be a US BR version..... And you're right, how the *fruitcage* are they going to replicate a Japanese cultured/behaved film into US!?!? Beats me....

I watched BR and loved it; very funny, as well exciting. It came across very tongue-in-cheek to me. I expect I'd have to know the Japanese culture pretty well to get all the nuances, but it definitely felt like a satire to me.

Watched BR2 in the native tounge; no subs :) I don't know if that made it more difficult to watch for me, but I found it pretty boring. The war was more 'straight' and less interesting; I liked the crossbow/hatchet action of the first a lot better. They all had guns in BR2, which took away half the fun. Not to mention the politcal message that BR2 seemed to be trying to hammer home.

like i said, the 2nd one was very.. blunt and childlike in its posturing.

the first is a satirical poke - at todays youth in japan.

theres not likely to be a us version of br - considering how sensitive they are about 'guns n schools', this very nearly got banned in the states when it came out.

i think quite a few show houses refused to show it at all.

if you dont fancy the idea of reading the heavy tome that was the original BR novel, you could check out the graphic novel [actually, its the manga of the same name, translated into english]..

Archived