Reputation Report button?

Ok, I know that most of you think this is a dumb idea. But it could work if used in the right way.

Add a "Report" button on to the posts on persons rep folder. That way if an undeserved negative was given, the user could report it and have it resolved versus PMing the mods about it and taking up their time going through PMs.

But the catch is n00bs would probably report any neg rep as unneeded. I know this.

Don't we have warning points on this site? Post zeroing? and suspending?

think it over mods...and arnie

~P

Rep points are only a popular vote. Nothing more.

So you should never be able to get them removed.

imho

I keep em as a little collection. Something I can use to find my better posts.

Edited by Basho

To digress slightly, I've noticed that whenever I give a -ve rep, a bunch of the persons mates will rally round and give the person +ve ones to make up for what big bad Sid said.

If we're gonna have a rep system then it needs to be policed. Abuse of it is againt the forum rules. Giving +ve reps for no reason is abuse of the system.

Frankly, I'd start walloping people with reductions of post count or summat as a penalty.

It occurs to me that the ability to post in certain forums, the for-sale forums for example could be suspended for a set period as a punishment as well.

This forum is filling up with idiots who have no concept of responsibility and, while it's good to promote a friendly community, it's getting to the point where morons think they can post rubbish, insult other users and generally treat these forums with no respect with impunity.

You guys need to start laying the smackdown on idiots in some way that they'll actually take notice of.

Use of warning points, post count reductions and suspension of ability to post are the best methods that come to mind right now.

Its a little number on the internet, is it really that important?

edit: After some reading, Prometheus takes this little number very seriously...

:D I do take it seriously. Whenever you give advice to someone or are selling/buying something from another user it is the first thing people look at. (7/10 users will just look at the number and not read it)

Also, many times I see people that have a -7 or more and over half of it is for something on the offtopic forum for their opinions and not for actually doing something wrong or posting rubbish. They are just voicing their opinions and they get all flamed up and negrepped for it.

Another thought then:

Maybe disable the rep system on the offtopic (if it isn't already. It was last time I looked)

****EDIT****

Oh, also...concerning this:

How does this save mods any time when compared to just PM'ing?

Instead of taking up their folder space and time when it comes to this stuff.

Shao said something about reports being sent as a PM anyways...well do they disappear if another mods gets to it. Say R22 is offline for a day (unlikely though)...and someone reports something. Elrey is on and takes care of it. When R22 gets back online, will it still be in his folder or will it disappear?

Why not have a separate folder for reports? Next to the "PM" folder they could have a report folder. It shows all the reports and has a little check next to ones that have been resolved....

Edited by Prometheus

Isn't anything good in this world worth waiting for?

I just think that you all are hypocrites for always complaining about spammers out there but you never want to offer any solutions except "oh the mods will take care of it, and if they don't we will flame the hell out of them..."

That is not how this stuff works. There is a Problem, and the current way of doing things isn't working!

How often do people actually PM a mod over a bad rep point? My guess is most people just whine about it. I really don't see how this is a big enough problem to be worth doing something about it. If you've got a problem with a rep point, PM a mod about it. What is so difficult about that? All you're really suggesting is a button that would PM every mod at the same time. Why?

:zorro:

the current way of dealing with rep point disputes seems to be working just fine.

That is not what I meant. I meant the current way of dealing with spam...

I know I kind of switched gears on you guys there....Hmm....

"The current way of dealing with [spam] isn't working"

How is that?

~P