US Navy digi

doc_newstead

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sometimes, I think they don't teach anyone to read outside of America... maybe in Norway they do though.

Of course I can read (and by the way, the education system in Canada is much better than in the U.S.).

It is precisely becuase I can read, and more importantly THINK, beyond the propaganda in the Navy's press releases that I posed the question.

That stuff about camo hiding stains better than solid colours is B.S. (unless they're talking about kum stains - all that sharing of bunks in the Navy and all...). Black or dark blue has been worn by sailors through-out history precisely becuase it does hide oil and grease stains well.

The bottom line is, the US Navy are just trying to look cool and fashionable.

P.S. I'm also very bored with this topic now.

That stuff about camo hiding stains better than solid colours is B.S. (unless they're talking about kum stains - all that sharing of bunks in the Navy and all...).  Black or dark blue has been worn by sailors through-out history precisely becuase it does hide oil and grease stains well.

This is supposed to be a joke right?

I just dont know how to respond. Part of me wants to sit here and type curse words like a little child, and the other part of me just wants to ignore the idiocy.

And I take back what I said about how they dont teach people to read outside of America, I guess they dont teach grammar as well.

This is supposed to be a joke right?

I just dont know how to respond. Part of me wants to sit here and type curse words like a little child, and the other part of me just wants to ignore the idiocy.

And I take back what I said about how they dont teach people to read outside of America, I guess they dont teach grammar as well.

Wow dude, you're stepping into a world of pain.

Suggesting that people outside of the U.S. (America is far too vague...) don't have any sort of education is ludicrous and deserves a spanking.

The U.S. isn't the smartest country...

That stuff about camo hiding stains better than solid colours is B.S. (unless they're talking about kum stains - all that sharing of bunks in the Navy and all...).  Black or dark blue has been worn by sailors through-out history precisely becuase it does hide oil and grease stains well.

:waggle:

I know I'm a noob, and probably don't have the right, but I was also a Petty Officer in the United States Navy durring war time but I have the distinct feeling that you wouldn't have the ######s to make a comment like this in front of my face or of any of my shipmates...jokes are all well and good, and take whatever opinion you like of these crazy new uniforms, but watch you frickin mouth

sorry to go OT guys, but I couldn't let this one slide

jimi

I'm just kidding about the whole education thing. There is no country that can outrightly be called "smarter" or anything. Some of the brightest people in the world have completely varying educational backgrounds. I was just poking fun at the immense amount of people, paticularly in this thread and the ones related, that don't bother to read before they reply - which in the end makes them look like idiots.

Of course it was a joke - and being a former 11Bang-Bang paratrooper I earned the right to make fun of the Navy (Squids), the Air Force (Wing Nuts) and the Marines (Jarheads).  :P

Gotcha...you know how these posts can be... irony, humor and sarcasm sometimes don't shine through...besides you know how touchy us 'legs" can be ;)

Back to topic...these uniform studies come out evey once in a while, and they all seem to be grotesque (back in the 90's I saw a similar one with the old woodlands style subdued urban--read as frickin blue-- camo ). My experience is that nothing comes of it anyway....remeber the U.S. Navy has been wearing the same basic kit since WW2, and of all the armed services, Navies are the slowest to embrace change...I swear some of the chambrey shirts and dugarees we wore were circa 1947.

Can I just poit out to all the people that are saying that the uniform is not for camouflage. It said in the link posted that it WAS for camouflage for when the ship docks in an unfriendly port so that it will be harder for people to take pot shots at the sailors.

Have these come up before? I've seen that fruity USAF one, but not these:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/doc...usn_uniform.jpg

And a woodland one (dunno what woodland though :P)

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a283/doc...N-0000X-002.jpg

Thoughts?

PS: In the milphotos thread this came from somebody said

"i hate badgers!"

Now there's no need for that...

EDIT: Photos resized

Thomas is looking a little light inteh loafers, if ya know what I mean....

Anyways, I think this is just an advancement in technology, an dmaybe an excuse to get the SEALs some digital camo. Looks like it would be great for night operations.

Can I just poit out to all the people that are saying that the uniform is not for camouflage. It said in the link posted that it WAS for camouflage for when the ship docks in an unfriendly port so that it will be harder for people to take pot shots at the sailors.

Wouldn't a stark gray work the best then...? :huh:

SEALS can, and will, use whatever type of US camo they want - just like they always have.  They don't need to wait for the desk molesters in Annapolis to come up with something as fruity as this first.

Which is why I have seen so many pics of US Navy SEALs in the numerous superior camo patternsthan US Woodland Tri Color? If the SEALs don't have total control over what they take into combat weapon wise, then they probably don't have total control over camo. At least, I have never heard of the SEALS being allowed to use whatever pattern they wanted.

Hmmm funny thing this...

The uniform in the pics is actually shown in the latest US Cavalry Catalog as subdued urban digital camo...which makes sense as it is similar to the subdued urban old style (looked like blue woodland stuff).

In my experience, no US units are actually issued these patterns, and they usually turn up on SWAT and Police Teams or in the Movies.

Where did the pics in the original post come from, and are we sure they have anything to do with the Navy?

As far as uniforms and SEAL teams, in my experience these guys had to wear standard utility uniforms (At the time they were OD green utilities - strait leg trousers and tucked in shirts with starched stovepipe USMC style covers) In mid 90's these were being replaced by woodland BDUs exactly like the ones issued to the USMC and the Navy Sea Bees (Department of the Navy likes to get as much bang for their buck as they can when it comes to uniforms :) ). In the field, typically, these guys keep their standard uniforms, with a bit of leeway given for personal preference and kit but not the kind of carte blanche described above. It's possible that things have changed since the 90's, but I would doubt it. If anything I think the Teams have become a bit more conservative in the past ten years, as career opportunities have opened up and their numbers have grown...Long gone are the wild days of the Vietnam era where rogue SEALs tromped around wearing blue jeans, tigerstripes shirts and fu manchu mustaches ;P

In the field, typically, these guys keep their standard uniforms, with a bit of leeway given for personal preference and kit but not the kind of carte blanche described above.

I never said anything about "carte blanche" (you're thinking of Charlie Sheen in that lame-*albartroth* excuse for a film).

What I meant was exactly what you've written above - they select the best US uniform for the theatre they'll be operating in. As in, they are not forced to use the NAVY's choice of utility uniform.

Finally, this is NOT the same as the unofficial MARPAT Urban you see in the U.S. Cavalry catalogue - look closely, you'll see that the colours and patterns are different.

Hmmm..actually I'm not thinking of "the movie" (Funny thing about that, did you know it was actually written by Chuck Pfarrer, a Combat SEAL - Beruit 1983, and SEAL Team 6 Vet...his actual memoir is called WARRIOR SOUL and is an amazing read. As far as the movie goes, all I can think is that Hollywood really did a number on his script :( ).

My point is that standard US issued BDU's are the utility uniform for Construction Battalions, SEAL Teams and Special Boat Units in the Navy today. IF the Navy adopts MARPAT (Which it looks like it will because for the past 40 years they have been eventually adopting USMC style uniforms) then the Teams will get them then, no sooner. Full Stop.

Once again I'd like to find out where these photos came from, because if you look closely, you'll notice that the character in the pic is wearing an army pater patrol cover...if these are possible US Navy uniforms, it's a heck of alot more likely they would wear USMC style covers...

Which is why I have seen so many pics of US Navy SEALs in the numerous superior camo patternsthan US Woodland Tri Color? If the SEALs don't have total control over what they take into combat weapon wise, then they probably don't have total control over camo. At least, I have never heard of the SEALS being allowed to use whatever pattern they wanted.

Oh what? You want me to whip out those top secret mission pictures and post them all over the net? Im willing to bet that almost every picture you have seen of SEALs has been training missions, and not real world operations. Do you think are military is that stupid to deny one of the elite special operation teams from choosing the best camouflage? Seriously, think. SOCOM has a virtually unlimited budget, they can get anything they want.

Hmmm funny thing this...

The uniform in the pics is actually shown in the latest US Cavalry Catalog as subdued urban digital camo...which makes sense as it is similar to the subdued urban old style (looked like blue woodland stuff).

In my experience, no US units are actually issued these patterns, and they usually turn up on SWAT and Police Teams or in the Movies.

Where did the pics in the original post come from, and are we sure they have anything to do with the Navy?

As far as uniforms and SEAL teams, in my experience these guys had to wear standard utility uniforms (At the time they were OD green utilities - strait leg trousers and tucked in shirts with starched stovepipe USMC style covers) In mid 90's these were being replaced by woodland BDUs exactly like the ones issued to the USMC and the Navy Sea Bees (Department of the Navy likes to get as much bang for their buck as they can when it comes to uniforms :) ). In the field, typically, these guys keep their standard uniforms, with a bit of leeway given for personal preference and kit but not the kind of carte blanche described above. It's possible that things have changed since the 90's, but I would doubt it. If anything I think the Teams have become a bit more conservative in the past ten years, as career opportunities have opened up and their numbers have grown...Long gone are the wild days of the Vietnam era where rogue SEALs tromped around wearing blue jeans, tigerstripes shirts and fu manchu mustaches ;P

Like JKT said, not even close to the US Cav models.

In your experience? Just what may that be?

Hmm... are we sure they are affiliated with the Navy? I dont know... maybe a quick Google search will clear this up:

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,1331..._101804,00.html

http://www.news.navy.mil/search/display.as...id=15565&page=1

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001155.html

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/articl...s_200410230.asp

Should I point out more?

What I meant was exactly what you've written above - they select the best US uniform for the theatre they'll be operating in.  As in, they are not forced to use the NAVY's choice of utility uniform.

Finally, this is NOT the same as the unofficial MARPAT Urban you see in the U.S. Cavalry catalogue - look closely, you'll see that the colours and patterns are different.

JKT you are correct on all aspects.

My point is that standard US issued BDU's are the utility uniform for Construction Battalions, SEAL Teams and Special Boat Units in the Navy today. IF the Navy adopts MARPAT (Which it looks like it will because for the past 40 years they have been eventually adopting USMC style uniforms) then the Teams will get them then, no sooner. Full Stop.

Once again I'd like to find out where these photos came from, because if you look closely, you'll notice that the character in the pic is wearing an army pater patrol cover...if these are possible US Navy uniforms, it's a heck of alot more likely they would wear USMC style covers...

Sure, the standard issue BDU's are the common uniform used in training etc. Does that mean it whats they are going to use all the time? No.

It's not considered MARPAT. The only thing it shares in common with MARPAT is that it is also a digital style. There is still no decision as to wether they will use the digital or woodland style. Will the Teams get them? Most likely for during training and other on base things. For real world missions? Hell no.

Also, if you notice there is two different cap styles being tested. The 8 point and the round top.

I dont know why I continue to defend this, maybe because 90% of people on the internet have no damn clue what they are talking about.

Archived