Star M249 Para Examined...

No one sells an SPW heat shield, aside from FN, and they don't sell it seperate from the gun.

I can make them now, for the right price... :)

Here it is, my finished SPW, just need star to release that damn 100rnd box.

its not exactly like the SPW, but its pretty close. the real SPW has no AR mag port, can't do away with that. And i just can't part with my carry handle.

post-2816-1139533830_thumb.jpg

Edited by WarMonger
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one sells an SPW heat shield, aside from FN, and they don't sell it seperate from the gun.

I can make them now, for the right price... :)

Here it is, my finished SPW, just need star to release that damn 100rnd box.

its not exactly like the SPW, but its pretty close. the real SPW has no AR mag port, can't do away with that. And i just can't part with my carry handle.

Great job. Looks just like the real thing. except for the carry handle.

i own a star m249 mkII, i've stock spring in l2 position, i'm satisfied with this replica, my mates scares only with his sound... :P  but i've little question, it's normal that a 8.4 1.700 nica battery only shoots for 2500round? also i'm looking for new one, what do you recommend in your experience? 9.6 or 8.4 with stock parts as i mentioned and 3300 or above will be ok?

Not sure anyone responded to you yet sabbandija, so I will. I've got a CA, but with your spring in the L2 position the energies should be near same asa stock CA. As I recall (been awhile since I was stock) 2500 rounds on a 1700mah sounds a tad low. I'm trying to recall accurately, since its been awhile since I've used my 8.4v, but it depends on alot of factors: how long your bursts are, how warm out it is, how old the battery is, etc. Regardless, I'd recommend going to a 9.6v 3000mah or more (mah not voltage). I've skirmished an entire day and over 9,000 rounds thru that and the battery showed no signs of dieing (with a spring well over forum limits).

Edited by Hillslam
Gundrosen, here's the dimensions on the CA's charging bolt slide channel. I assumed you wanted inner dimensions so I measured those. Also length.

See attached pic.

Thanks, will try to make mine work now :)

That heatshield is looking very nice warmonger, you should consider making these for sale, I would buy one if the price is right ;)

Why is this thread moved and the CA thread still in general discussion?

It was alot easier when it was in general :(

Hmm, so this is where the thread went. I'm not sure why it was moved either. It's not really a review as much as it's a discussion about every aspect of the gun. The bulk of the thread isn't even a discussion of the review related posts either, it's a discussion of the gun in general. Having it here will only reduce exposure and make it harder for people to find answers, which will probably result in more new threads even though the answers could be found in this one. I also notice my other similarly themed threads remain in the general section.

Hmm, so this is where the thread went. I'm not sure why it was moved either. It's not really a review as much as it's a discussion about every aspect of the gun. The bulk of the thread isn't even a discussion of the review related posts either, it's a discussion of the gun in general. Having it here will only reduce exposure and make it harder for people to find answers, which will probably result in more new threads even though the answers could be found in this one. I also notice my other similarly themed threads remain in the general section.

You should contact an admin and ask them to move it back :)

Read all 41 pages... *phew*

Thanks for the informative and well written reviews and experience with the 249

For those of us who are still trying to decide whether to buy floor tiles or a Star M249 :P would people mind posting:

a) the number of rounds put through their SAW so far,

'B) state of tune of gun,

c) wear and tear owing to a) & 'B)

d) breakage of internals also due to a) & 'B)

e) parts required to fix c) & d)

f) damage resulting from "user error"

to give us poor sots currently without a SAW an idea of the longevity of the gun.

(got rid of my TOP 249 ages ago, best decision I ever made!!!)

Many Thanks

Edited by EricthePincussion

Anyone noticed that the motor gives off a large amount of carbon residue?

Star's hop rubbers are very soft, my 249 has torn its hop rubber after probably less than 10k rounds.....

The gun does make an awesome noise with the springguide pressed further into the gearbox however, with an m100 it made a nice loud pop noise, and brought it up to my local site limits! Although it would appear that the m100 and stock star spring are of the same power roughly, just ones is irregular pitch, the other isnt.

Read all 41 pages... *phew*

Thanks for the informative and well written reviews and experience with the 249

For those of us who are still trying to decide whether to buy floor tiles or a Star M249 :P would people mind posting:

a) the number of rounds put through their SAW so far,

'B) state of tune of gun,

c) wear and tear owing to a) & 'B)

d) breakage of internals also due to a) & 'B)

e) parts required to fix c) & d)

f)  damage resulting from "user error"

to give us poor sots currently without a SAW an idea of the longevity of the gun.

(got rid of my TOP 249 ages ago, best decision I ever made!!!)

Many Thanks

A) I'm guessing I'm somewhere around 30 000 rounds.

B) New more powerful spring(slightly above forum rules)

C) None so far

D) None so far

E) Dont think anything is required to fix, everything holds up, but I have replaced my grip(didnt like the stock one), handguard(CA), heatshield(CA), rear sight(if you plan on using the sight of the gun I recommend buying a CA rear sight as the stock one is non-adjustable) and I have a stock waiting to be installed(a gulf-war RS stock which needs modification) :P

F) My gas collar broke of when I fell with it. I will have to replace it with a metal one as the old one broke in two and I lost one of the parts

quick Q.

someoen posted earlier about not using irregular pitch springs in there gun, because they didnt like them. there was no reason ever given whyit is bad to use irregualr pitch springs. i was wondering does it have to do with the cpmression of the spring. if so, will l1 vs l2 on the star have an effect of the spring performance?

i could use some opinions from you guys. what do you guys think is a fair asking price for this heatshield? i'm no buisnessman i really can't decide.

keep in mind, and ANGS metal heatshiled is like 125 bucks. and mine is handmade, i can't just stamp them out in a factory.

Heres some help.

1) how much did the materials cost

2) How many hours did it take/ how much effort

Tell me these and I can judge a fair price, knowing that its home made it will be more expensive. You dicide the price though im just offering some help.

First of all, who the hell moved this thread, they ought to be *badgeress*-slapped, it took me forever to find it!!! this is bull-*beep*!!

well, mine took three trys to get the heat shield part right. Drilling all those holes in straight lines was a pain in the *albatross*, it took several tries. It also took a lot of time to get those tabs to fit right.

of course with all the trial and error out of the way, I could make more much easier and faster. I'd say i spent a good 5 or 6 hours messing around with it. I bet i could finish another one in about half that.

I have a supply of materials at work, it wouldn't really cost me anything except my time and effort.

First of all, who the hell moved this thread, they ought to be *badgeress*-slapped, it took me forever to find it!!! this is bull-*beep*!!

well, mine took three trys to get the heat shield part right. Drilling all those holes in straight lines was a pain in the *albatross*, it took several tries. It also took a lot of time to get those tabs to fit right.

of course with all the trial and error out of the way, I could make more much easier and faster. I'd say i spent a good 5 or 6 hours messing around with it. I bet i could finish another one in about half that.

I have a supply of materials at work, it wouldn't really cost me anything except my time and effort.

I would say $90 - $120 range. Because it sounds like it was hard to get it just right . If you had it clip on like the heat shield the gun comes with, people would probobly buy it more because they wont have to drill their gun.

Edited by Bloodhound

Well, since no one found the solution for m249 not working in cold temperatures i decided (finally got some free time) to take a closer look by myself.

I suspected the gearbox to be the issue so i took it out and placed it outside for one hour to cool down to 0˙C

Luckily i found the problem right away.

What I found out is that nozzle was not moving at all! I pushed it in (simulating the cycle of the gears) and nozzle stayed in that position. It took a lot of effort to pull it back with my hand. After 10-20 moves in and out, the tappet plate spring was able to do that movement forward.

That was the cause of low fps of first 20-50 rounds in cold temperature

I replaced stock nozzle with Guarder G36 one (had to cut it for about 1mm, to achieve the same lenght. I also wanted to replace the cylinderhead (prometheus v3), but i found out that the tappet plate is wider, so no new cylinder head for my 249.

I tested it on field yesterday and it worked like a charm (approx 1˙C outside).

I finally got a chance to defend the whole flank with my M249 :)

Hope this helps star m249 owners with the same problem. The rest of you not having that problem, just check if your nozzle is moving freely.

Deki

What I found out is that nozzle was not moving at all! I pushed it in (simulating the cycle of the gears) and nozzle stayed in that position. It took a lot of effort to pull it back with my hand. After 10-20 moves in and out, the tappet plate spring was able to do that movement forward.

That was the cause of low fps of first 20-50 rounds in cold temperature

Interesting. I found this to be the case on my 249 as well and wound up lightly sanding and polishing the brass nozzle on my cylinder head to reduce the outer diameter slightly. The end result allowed the plastic nozzle to move freely on the cylinder head's nozzle. Sounds like you approached it a different way. Good work.