Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as i hate to admit i was wrong about STAR's plastic gearbox, i thought you all should see this.

The gearbox broke today. half of the front broke off right around the nozzle. I didn't even know it until i took the gun apart when i got home. It still fires perfectly, for now anyway. Looks like i'll be the one converting to a metal gearbox after all.

Everyone with upgraded springs beware.

post-2816-1139094054_thumb.jpg

Edited by WarMonger

Hmm. Interesting, and certainly not good. I wonder if there was a defect in the material?

How many rounds have you put through it?

For now, I'll just add it to my mental list of one-off problems we've encountered. I need to see a pattern or at least a reproducible case before I get worried.

On an unrelated note, here are some pics of the realsteel Tapco grip that I've been meaning to post. Note that it is not a direct replacement, it needs to be modified to fit properly and the angle of the bolt that secures it in place is wrong. The trigger guard will not fit well either, it will be a little loose. The quality of the materials is much better than the stock part, however it's pretty rough around the edges. Still, I like the feel of it better than the Star part. I've skirmished with it and it held up just fine. I'm happy with it overall.

Tapco left, Star Right. Notice the Tapco is taller than the Star.

IMG_7630.sized.jpg

Another pic illustrating the size difference.

IMG_7631.sized.jpg

The bottom of the grip has a trap door.

IMG_7632_001.sized.jpg

The trap door open.

IMG_7634_001.sized.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the angle of the bolt. The Star is on the right, the bolt goes straight in. The Tapco on the left is designed to have the bolt go in at an angle.

IMG_7635_001.sized.jpg

Here you can see the profile of the top is wrong. This prevents it from being properly secured. The Star is on the right and the Tapco is on the left.

IMG_7636_001.sized.jpg

This illustrates the fit issue. The grip can't fit all the way up on the receiver.

IMG_7637_001.sized.jpg

With modification the grip fits. You have to dremel/file it to match the profile of the Star grip. The bolt still goes in at an angle but it's not that big a deal when everything is tightened down.

IMG_7638_001.sized.jpg

This is a rough estimate but i'd say i put around 20,000 rounds through the gun.

I'm gonna have to get one of those grips, looks alot more comfy than the stock one. i hate how that stupid fake hinge thing digs into my pinky finger.

hey static, do you happen to know of any retailers in the states that might be carrying the metal gearbox. the only place i've seen it is WGC and i dont wanna get raped on shipping.

*oh, and hows the trigger gaurd after the grip is fitted?* thanks

Edited by WarMonger

Daimondback tactical has "frictitous tape" that will easily attach to the Star handle and give the user %300 better grip. I have it on my M249 handle, and both sides of the foregrip. (it's also on my other guns as well...it REALLY MAKES A DIFFERENCE).

It might be a better solution to those who want more control but don't want to pay up the butt for it. (it's only $20 plus S&H)

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleL...ack-P330C0.aspx

A warning tho: all frictitious tape is, is sandpaper with a sticky backing. If u use gloves, it might tear into them a bit... but for the M249 its extremly helpful. ALSO: They take a month to proccess and ship orderes.. don't now why, but they tell u before u purchase your order, so its not like u end up checking your mailbox every day, dissapointed.

This is a rough estimate but i'd say i put around 20,000 rounds through the gun.

I'm gonna have to get one of those grips, looks alot more comfy than the stock one. i hate how that stupid fake hinge thing digs into my pinky finger.

hey static, do you happen to know of any retailers in the states that might be carrying the metal gearbox. the only place i've seen it is WGC and i dont wanna get raped on shipping.

*oh, and hows the trigger gaurd after the grip is fitted?* thanks

They have it here, but I dont know if it is a US store, I just found it today.

*edit, searched around the site and found out they are based in HK :(

Edited by Gundrosen

Thanks for looking though gundrosen i appreciate it.

I'm too broke at the moment to buy the damn thing. At least the gun still works for now. The thing just refuses to die.

It seems the cylinder head was just loose enough in there that it was smacking against the front of the gearbox. the only thing holding it back one the broken side now is that little peg on the side.

I'm gonna get a metal gearbox, but i'm gonna wait to install it. I'm curious to see how long it holds out like this.

Has anyone figured out what cylinder will work in one of these yet?

Edited by WarMonger

Had my para out today for the first time and it fired great.

Just one small problem with the mag wind switch being sticky, but between games I took the gearbox and trigger circuitry out and just parted the contacts slightly.

It then proceeded to work just lovely. :)

Gundrosen: so that rear sight can be replaced just like that with the CA one?

No modding required?

That is correct.

I dont think you can use the STAR sight screws though so if you buy one make sure you get original CA screws(if you look at my pictures you will see that they are a little different, but they will fit fine without any modding :) )

That is correct.

I dont think you can use the STAR sight screws though so if you buy one make sure you get original CA screws(if you look at my pictures you will see that they are a little different, but they will fit fine without any modding :) )

cool, does the CA rear sight come with it's own screws?

Also how is that CA heatshield working out? does it fit?

I'm hoping to get a para version in a swap and the Rear sight will be one of the first things on my list togheter with a rail for a Red Dot.

I'm also curious as to what the difference is between the front end of the two guns? If i wanted to put the Mk2's longer barrel on the the Para, will it just screw on without any modding?

Edited by sturgis
cool, does the CA rear sight come with it's own screws?

Also how is that CA heatshield working out? does it fit?

I'm hoping to get a para version in a swap and the Rear sight will be one of the first things on my list togheter with a rail for a Red Dot.

I'm also curious as to what the difference is between the front end of the two guns? If i wanted to put the Mk2's longer barrel on the the Para, will it  just screw on without any modding?

Mine did, so I am guessing it usually does :)

The CA heatshield did need a little modding(to the heatshield, not the STAR body)

The MKII outer barrel should fit right onto the gun(just remove the PARA flashhider and put the MKII outer barrel in its place. You should probobly get a longer inner barrel as well if you want it as an MKII "StaticZero" told me a standard AK47 inner barrel should fit fine :) )

Good luck with your new gun.

I'm considering replacing the piston head with a ported one as suggested earlier in the thread.

If I read correctly then staticzero used a "Area1000 ported polycarbonate" piston head.

I have a few questions.

1) Does this fit directly onto the existing star piston or will I need to buy a new piston.

2) I can't seem to find a supplier of Area1000 stuff. (Ah I've found one at pecision airsoft... but I'm in the UK so, thats not ideal) Are there any other piston heads that are recommended? eg. Systema?

3) Do the piston heads usually come with the o-rings that are needed?

If I read correctly I think it says that I should get better range and consistency of shots with a ported piston head. Is this correct?

Cheers!!

Got my WGC package today with a Guarder pistolgrip(can confirm this is a TAPCO grip) and a steel charging handle. The grip fitted on fine, but the charging handle turned into alot of trouble. First of all I had to dremel a "path" for it, wich went fine. I could pull the charging handle back and forth(it even made a cool sound), but then trouble came around. I was putting the gun in it's case when I suddenly heard a breaking noise, the charging handle broke right off(the plastic couldnt hold it) :(

Dont really know what I'm gonna do now, I may try to mod a little metal piece to hold it on, or I may just drop the hole thing. Now that is is broken I might as well try a little more ;)

If I have any time I will post pics tommorow(but it is not a pretty sight :( )

Edited by Gundrosen

Just opened my new para from redwolf this morning. Case was a little smaller than I expected but very strong. It took FOREVER to remove the flash hider. Glued and cross threaded. Dropped in a 8.4 and some BBs, put on some goggles and pulled the trigger. .... I think I pee'd myself a little. This gun is LOUD. Maniacal grin. I grabbed a 9.6 and went at it again. Awww Yeah!!!!!!!! This gun is fantastic. Really lived up to the hype. A question though. Is anyone using real SAW slings to carry these around? Anchor points don't look that beefy.

Just opened my new para from redwolf this morning. Case was a little smaller than I expected but very strong. It took FOREVER to remove the flash hider. Glued and cross threaded. Dropped in a 8.4 and some BBs, put on some goggles and pulled the trigger. .... I think I pee'd myself a little. This gun is LOUD. Maniacal grin. I grabbed a 9.6 and went at it again. Awww Yeah!!!!!!!! This gun is fantastic. Really lived up to the hype. A question though. Is anyone using real SAW slings to carry these around? Anchor points don't look that beefy.

I have a SAW sling on mine, works great :)

BTW, I figured out what caused that piston to shear in half ealier in the thread. We have had LOTS of problems with the gun so far, it snapped one pistone, chewed up a second one, burned out the motor in the box mag and now it has sheared the tabs holding the cylinder head in place! Be cause the guy had so many problems we are replacing the Polycarb box with a metal one. While I was transfering the internals and checking the interation between the sector gear and the piston I noticed the piston was jumping the tracks a bit as the sector gear engaged it. This is due to the bevel in the gear box just behind the cylinder. The piston slides off the first tooth of the sector gear, slides up the bevel and jams causing it to tourqe and get torn up. I fixed it by putting a fender washer between the piston and piston head effectivly making the piston 3mm longer. When the piston is all the way forward it protrudes about 1mm past the bevel and rests in the track like it should.

Hope this helps anyone that may encounter the same issue.