Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still trying to fix my gun(doesnt look promosing, but at least it dont have any actual effect on the gun)

Gundrosen, you could file or dremel off the plastic channel on the side of your receiver. Then you could cut and bend some soft sheet metal into a channel and bolt or adhesive that to the side of the receiver and use your metal charging handle. Would that work?

Let me know if you need dimensions on the CA charging handle's channel.

What are you thinking in terms of springs to return the handle to forward? On the CA a small arm goes into the body to compress a hidden spring affixed to the top of the mechbox, see pic:

gallery_9287_528_99716.jpg

does the metal charging handle you bought have that arm?

Here's the outside view of the charging handle showing the arm that loops up and over into the receiver, and the charging handle's channel (as well as that armature thing above the channel that actuates as the charging handle passes it back and forth in the channel:

gallery_9287_528_20349.jpg

Edited by Hillslam
Gundrosen, you could file or dremel off the plastic channel on the side of your receiver. Then you could cut and bend some soft sheet metal into a channel and bolt or adhesive that to the side of the receiver and use your metal charging handle. Would that work?

I have been thinking about it, the question is just how hard it will be to make it looks nice.

Let me know if you need dimensions on the CA charging handle's channel.

If you could do it that would be great! :)

What are you thinking in terms of springs to return the handle to forward? On the CA a small arm goes into the body to compress a hidden spring affixed to the top of the mechbox, see pic:

Now thats the extra hard part :P I dont really know how I will go on doing this, I must study the inside some more and see if there is anywere I can fit a spring.

does the metal charging handle you bought have that arm?

Unfortuanatly it does not, I will have to mod something like that myself.

Here's the outside view of the charging handle showing the arm that loops up and over into the receiver, and the charging handle's channel (as well as that armature thing above the channel that actuates as the charging handle passes it back and forth in the channel:

Thanks, I need all the detail pics I can find :)

Here are some pictures of how "far" I am and of the charging handle:

Handle fitted to body:

1.jpg

Handle back:

2.jpg

Handle front:

3.jpg

Handle side:

4.jpg

Handle channel 1:

5.jpg

Handle channel 2:

6.jpg

Handle channel 3:

7.jpg

Handle pulled back:

8.jpg

Edited by Gundrosen

I dunno... it sounds like some of u guys should have just splurged on the CA version which is easier to upgrade, and has more accessories available to it. After all of the additional metal parts, cosmetic enhancements etc, done to your guns, it kinda ceases to be a STAR m249 and is more like the frankestien of SAW's. I understand that people like customizing their guns, i do too, but if that was the case, there are easier ways to get more accurate results. (like buying a heatshield that is to specification, rather than trying to build one: seems like reinventing the wheel). just a thought.

like buying a heatshield that is to specification, rather than trying to build one: seems like reinventing the wheel.

Find me an SPW heat shield for sale then. I haven't been able to.

Besides, no way my Star cost as much let alone more than a CA, even after modifying it as I have. The most significant item was the RAS which I'd have had to buy for the CA too. In fact, there's almost noting I've done to my Star that I'd not have needed to do to a CA to get it how I want (in some areas I'd have had to do more). I bet the same goes for a lot of others here. I don't think you've thought this through. ;)

*looks at custom full metal and wood AK built for significantly less than the difference in price*

*remains satisfied*

Edited by staticzero

do we have a consensus of what upgraded mechbox parts will fit in the star mechbox. i reread all 40 pages and could not find a good "put together" of all the compatible parts. i was was wanting to add some new parts to increase effeciency to my m249. piston head, piston, cylinder head, bushings, etc. prob have it shooting over forum limits.

also does anyone have any experience witht eh new CA upgrade parts? I have heard that they are actually pretty good, on par with gaurder, systema, etc.

one more thing, static, why did you got with intellect ib3800 batts? why not gp3700 or the 4000. i was wondering because i am going to buy a new batt soon and wanted 9.6v with high mah, prob the same setup you bought. finally, are the red batt connectors really much better than the tiamaya's(spelling)?

I'll try to answer these questions since I had the same issue.

do we have a consensus of what upgraded mechbox parts will fit in the star mechbox. i reread all 40 pages and could not find a good "put together" of all the compatible parts. i was was wanting to add some new parts to increase effeciency to my m249. piston head, piston, cylinder head, bushings, etc. prob have it shooting over forum limits.

Right now gears, bushing, spring guide, piston head, piston, cylinder, are all that i've been able to put in. Looks like the Tappet plate "looks" like a Ver 3 but it's just a shade higher and wider. Also the nozzle isn't the same as anything else, try to use another one and too short = low compression, and too long = no feeding. Also even though it looks like a version 3 spring guide I had to use a version 2 cause the tabs are just a little bit smaller and version 3 won't fit in the plug.

I should warn you though. lots of people have been having issues when they take thier STAR M249s apart, they've been having compression issues. I still have some and i'm using a M130 to get to the "socal" limit ;). It's all because of the stupid Hop-Up, i did the thing where I wrapped mine in teflon tape. It helped but didn't solve it.

here's my setup.

-Phoenix High Speed Gears

-Systema STD Short Motor

-Systema M130

-Systema Ver 2 Spring Guide

-Prometheus Sinthered Bushings

-Prometheus Hard Piston

-Prometheus Soft Hop-Up Rubber

-Prometheus POM Piston Head

-KM Cylinder

also does anyone have any experience witht eh new CA upgrade parts? I have heard that they are actually pretty good, on par with gaurder, systema, etc.

Bah CA, i say it's sacrilage although the full metal stock is cool, so is the feed cover with a rail, but not sure if it fits.

finally, are the red batt connectors really much better than the tiamaya's(spelling)?

If i'm correct those are DEANS connectors and they provide less resistance then the Taimiyas, but personsally they are a pain to disconnect/reconnect.

Edited by neubine

Got myself a CA frontgrip today.

Not really worth the money I actually prefer the STAR, but CA has "new" version frontgrips which looks a little better then the STAR one :P

One side fits right on, the other side need a little modification(dont really knwo why CA has made it like this) I have not started modifying it yet, and I will try to post pictures of the process when I begin :)

one more thing, static, why did you got with intellect ib3800 batts? why not gp3700 or the 4000. i was wondering because i am going to buy a new batt soon and wanted 9.6v with high mah, prob the same setup you bought. finally, are the red batt connectors really much better than the tiamaya's(spelling)?

The CA parts are fine, with the exception of their springs. hop-up rubbers and pistons/piston heads.

Also, in my experience, Intellect >>> GP and is also cheaper.

Oh and, Intellect now do a 4200mAh large batt.

Find me an SPW heat shield for sale then. I haven't been able to.

Besides, no way my Star cost as much let alone more than a CA, even after modifying it as I have. The most significant item was the RAS which I'd have had to buy for the CA too. In fact, there's almost noting I've done to my Star that I'd not have needed to do to a CA to get it how I want (in some areas I'd have had to do more). I bet the same goes for a lot of others here. I don't think you've thought this through. ;)

*looks at custom full metal and wood AK built for significantly less than the difference in price*

*remains satisfied*

By the time I'm done with the gun the only part left will be the main body :P (unless someone comes out with a metal body, then I will have to buy that :P )

My point was that the CA version has more interchangeable accessories for it and therefore you would be able to buy the parts and assemble your gun much easier than hacking apart your STAR to get it to be the way u wanted: seems like alotta effort. If i knew from the start that I wanted a suped-up gun, personally i would have just brought a CA with the intentions of forking over more mulah on accessories. (We all know being a gunner gets pricey. ugh.) But at least i know everything would fit, and work, etc. (I know how much it sucks to buy a part for your gun and then it doesn't fit. woof). But if u are trying to cut back costs, or u look at the STAR as a challenge and simply enjoy modding, them i agree, more powere to ya.

hi there,

i own a star m249 mkII, i've stock spring in l2 position, i'm satisfied with this replica, my mates scares only with his sound... :P but i've little question, it's normal that a 8.4 1.700 nica battery only shoots for 2500round? also i'm looking for new one, what do you recommend in your experience? 9.6 or 8.4 with stock parts as i mentioned and 3300 or above will be ok?

thanks for your time

I'm about to order a Star M249 with the funds gained from selling off my awful lemon of a TOP M60. this thread and actually handling one at my last skirmish were the primary factors in making me take the plunge.

Two quick questions that have not been addressed: is this thing solid enough to take a sling? Also is the carry handle solid enough to be truely functional?

"Trench Raider"

Great as I still have the SAW sling I bought for the M60. I was always reluctant to pick up the M60 by the carry handle due to it's weight and the way said handle flexed when I did so.

Now I just have to decide if I want the "para" or the full sized version.....decisions, decisions....

"Trench Raider"

Edited by trench_raider
Great as I still have the SAW sling I bought for the M60.  I was always reluctant to pick up the M60 by the carry handle due to it's weight and the way said handle flexed when I did so.

Now I just have to decide if I want the "para" or the full sized version.....decisions, decisions....

"Trench Raider"

PARA vs. MKII is a very tough choice, I went with the MKII because it looks better(in my opinion) and was a little cheaper. But now I have found out that the norwegian army uses the PARA so I'm slowly trying to get all the parts I need for a PARA :P (to use with my norwegian kit)

(to use with my norwegian kit)

I thought "Norwegian kit" consisted of a helmet, chainmail shirt, and a two handed axe! :P

19324.jpeg

Sorry, could not resist that!

I'm actually leaning toward the Para model (and in fact have asked the local retailer to do a price check on that one) due to it's handy size.

"Trench Raider"

Edited by trench_raider
I thought "Norwegian kit" consisted of a helmet, chainmail shirt, and a two handed axe!  :P

19324.jpeg

Sorry, could not resist that!

I'm actually leaning toward the Para model (and in fact have asked the local retailer to do a price check on that one) due to it's handy size.

"Trench Raider"

Well it's actually a little more like this:

norsk_m249.jpg

;)

Edited by Gundrosen
I dunno... it sounds like some of u guys should have just splurged on the CA version which is easier to upgrade, and has more accessories available to it.  After all of the additional metal parts, cosmetic enhancements etc, done to your guns, it kinda ceases to be a STAR m249 and is more like the frankestien of SAW's. I understand that people like customizing their guns, i do too, but if that was the case, there are easier ways to get more accurate results. (like buying a heatshield that is to specification, rather than trying to build one: seems like reinventing the wheel).  just a thought.

NEVER. acctualy I don't want to spend $1,200 on a airsoft gun when I could get one for half the price. shure its not a full metal body, but I don't see a plastic body braking so easy (I dropped a cheapo AEG from 7 feet and it held to gether fine).