Star M249 Para Examined...

After about 5000 rounds I am now having the problem that the auto winding mag does not wind. It's like it is not getting a signal from the trigger to wind or that it is not getting power from the AA batterys.

I can see bbs in the tube and they are not moving. Everything else works fine. I will then remove the connector and reconnect. This sometimes takes 4-5 tries before it works again.

With one long burst I killed 4 people. The very next engagement I was killed because the gun dry fired. The person jumped and realised that my SAW was a dud. Laughed and called me to surrender. I was feverishly working to remove the connector and get it reconnected when he asked me to surrender again... He put one in my chest. And after all that the reconnecting of the connector didn't fix it anyway. Took 3 more tries. :blink:

I emailed STAR and they got back to me the very next day. They have asked me to varify where I purchased the gun and they said they will work to try and fix it. I'll post updates as I get them.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all

i need to replace the piston and piston head in my m249,

i have tried fitting a systema area 1000 piston, but it will not fit as it is a diifernt shape and size to the star piston.

the star piston is more oval in shape, there for it is narrower than a standard TM piston.

does any one know were i can get a stock star piston from, OR know of a piston that will fit in the star gearbox.

also for the record the systema version 3 silent piston head set will not fit properly into the star gearbox, the silent cylinder head will fit into the cylinder and into teh notches in teh gearbox, and the gearbox will shut, however the silent head is a lot shorter than the star cylinder head, meaning there is a gap between teh ffont of the gearbox and the front of teh cylinder head, im pretty sure the version 3 silent piston head set will work in teh star gearbox, but im not sure how long the two notches will hold up befor cracking off.

im not sure if a verion 2 silent head set would fit better.

hope some one can help me out with my question.

all the best.

I just received my m249 today, my initial reaction was that it is very light, lighter than my metal-bodied m4. I have read all 50 pages of this thread, but I was wondering, what are some of the crucial things that should be done in the beggining to prolong the life of certain parts? Also, what piston would be a perfect fit in the gearbox, i would like to pick up an extra one or two to be safe. Should the tension release button be somewhat hard to press in. Lastly, to verify, the position of the spring retainer that gives "stock" fps is when the latch is behind the entire retainer?

so we dont know what

piston and head

nozzle

tappet plate

cylinder and head

motor

can fit on our minimi?! :o

Partial answers:

Piston - I have an Area 1000 that has lasted over 20,000 rounds in mine atm. SRC also fits, I believe. Best bet is to take the box apart and make sure the rails and the piston get along. That's where I ran into trouble. The piston rails on the mechbox can be too 'tight' for some pistons to move freely.

Cylinder - NB Systema M16 type cylinder in mine. Works fine.

Motor - any short type (AK/Aug, etc.) motor will fit. I used a Systema High Speed motor with good results.

Partial answers:

Piston - I have an Area 1000 that has lasted over 20,000 rounds in mine atm.  SRC also fits, I believe.  Best bet is to take the box apart and make sure the rails and the piston get along.  That's where I ran into trouble.  The piston rails on the mechbox can be too 'tight' for some pistons to move freely. 

Cylinder - NB Systema M16 type cylinder in mine.  Works fine.

Motor - any short type (AK/Aug, etc.) motor will fit.  I used a Systema High Speed motor with good results.

i tried fitting a area 1000 in mine and it was too tight on the rails, it was so tight it would not move at all and bound the gears up. maybe i got unlucky, or you were lucky, either way i have emailed star to see if i can get a star piston.

confirm on the cylinder, i tried fitting an aug cylinder and it was a perfect fit, im pretty sure the m16 and aug use the same cylinder type. as for a cylinder head i still cant find one that fits, an aug (version 3) cylinder head will fit and work with the tappet plate but it is a lot shorter than the star cylinder head. meaning there is a gap between the front of the gearbox and the front of the cylinder head.

has any one fitted any other piston, please let me know.

Must have gotten lucky on the A-1000.  I pulled it out of its packaging and dropped it in there.  Guess I did get lucky.

I can also advise our readers that the blue G&P piston will NOT fit.

not only was the A-1000 piston too tight on the rails, the first tooth at the back of the piston was too long, meaning it would hit a cylinder were a screw goes through. so that tooth would need to be filed down.

Well after 20.000+ shots my boxmag switch failed the same way some of you posted already. It's designed poorly so it was bound to happen sooner or later.

I know what i had to do so I didn't bother contacting STAR for replacement part, I just made this:

boxmag_switch.jpg

Works way better than original design.

Deki

i tried fitting a area 1000 in mine too and it was too tight on the rails :(

so i dont know wich one will fit on...

and i think STAR will NOT come out with the modular gear boxes. It s cancelled to the product list :(

I wonder this means to the m249 series all together. They haven't come out with the 100rd bag yet either.

and i think STAR will NOT come out with the modular gear boxes. It s cancelled to the product list :(

Maybe that is not the case..... On March 6 Star replied to my request for status update on the 100rd box and modular gearbox. Their reply:

"These items are in progress.

Regards

Star"

i tried fitting a area 1000 in mine too and it was too tight on the rails :(

so i dont know wich one will fit on...

after tring and failing to fit a area 1000 piston i had a go at fitting a stock TM piston, although it was a better fit, it was still tight and i had to have the gear box screws very loose, otherwise the piston would be to tight on the rails and not push forwards.

i tired using the gun today, after a few shots the piston go stuck at the end of the cycle, i used the anti reverse leaver and the piston went forwards. i then chronoed the gun and i was getting a FPS reading of 160. seeing as all the other parts in the gear box are stock, i can only assume that the piston is not moving fowards as quickly as it should as it is too tight on the rails.

the biggest bummer of all, is that i cant put the stock piston back in as it is damaged, so i have a lovley new m249 sitting in its case doing nothing untill i can either get a stock piston, or find one that will fit.

has any one tried fitting a RED systema POM piston?

let us all know how you got on.

Hi. I got my Minimi yesterday and today i tried to adjust the hop-up and it didn't make any differece at all?

From it's stock position i adjusted it anti-clockwise until the allan screw was almost out!! Do i need to do anything to the rubber or barrel to get it to work correctly?

Cheers in advance.

Pugh.

Hi. I got my Minimi yesterday and today i tried to adjust the hop-up and it didn't make any differece at all?

From it's stock position i adjusted it anti-clockwise until the allan screw was almost out!! Do i need to do anything  to the rubber or barrel to get it to work correctly?

Cheers in advance.

Pugh.

Turn hop screw clockwise for more hop

D

From it's stock position i adjusted it anti-clockwise until the allan screw was almost out!! Do i need to do anything  to the rubber or barrel to get it to work correctly?

Cheers in advance.

Pugh.

you need to screw the allen key so it goes in. clockwise, not out. mine needed a lot befor it started to work.

on mine the screw must have been about 4-5 mm down the thread.

Edited by -Dan-