The Simonich/Strider Gunner grips are lovely.

The ones that come with it are horrible, although a bit of matt spray paint makes them a damn sight better, but I should have real ones fairly soon.

They look nice in my opinion, but the real point of them is the grip they offer - they aggressively dig into your hands (many guys gently sandpaper the pattern down a little bit) so that even with wet of bloody hands, the gun is still ultra-controllable (especially important with a .45).

wasted, it's not full metal, and I'm not in so much of a rush to bother now - the WA material is nice anyway, and I don't need to replace the trades :)

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me for asking, but what's so special about Kimbers vs. M1911A1 or modern varients?

Personally I hate them, the off-yellow colored grips looks like wafers... and I don't like the serrations on the slide, I prefer the plain, straight slides of the M1911's but that's just me

Excuse me for asking, but what's so special about Kimbers vs. M1911A1 or modern varients?

Personally I hate them, the off-yellow colored grips looks like wafers... and I don't like the serrations on the slide, I prefer the plain, straight slides of the M1911's but that's just me

The ambi extended safety is nice, the front slide serrations are FUNCTIONAL even if you think they look ugly, the lanyard loop as standard is excellent, the rail is great for adding lights (a PITA on normal 1911s), the Novak sights are far better...

The 'off-yellow' grips are Coyote Brown or Tan, but can also be had in Black or Olive Drab if you really care, and who cares if they 'look like wafers'? They're the most effective grips I've ever used, and these are replicas - the real ones are MILES better. If you've got your hands round 'em then who gives a f*** what they look like?

The same applies when you need to cock or check the status of your gun from the front - no front serrations and you'd b*tch about it, but now you'll *badgeress* about it 'because they're ugly' :P

On the real-steel guns, the manufacturing tolerances at Kimber are superb, so it'll almost certainly perform far better than a standard 1911. If you specify something you want, they can probably do it, and will build the exact gun you want (within reason). They're tested, tuned and perfected before they leave the factory.

Edited by HaVoC
The ambi extended safety is nice, the front slide serrations are FUNCTIONAL even if you think they look ugly, the lanyard loop as standard is excellent, the rail is great for adding lights (a PITA on normal 1911s), the Novak sights are far better...

The safety on the Kimber Custom II is not ambi-dextrous, unfortunately.

I think the front slide serrations looks quite good, otherwise, the slide looks too "naked", and of course, it is functional for those who like to rack the slide from front. There's a round-indicator on the ejection port also.

The real Kimber Custom II is also much cheaper compare to other similarly customized 1911s (such as Wilson), and more reliable than other 1911s in the same price range (such as Springfield). Unlike the Beretta 92FS, the Kimber Custom II was adopted (by LAPD SWAT) for a good reason, not politics. ;)

I know - they're not standard on most 1911s though so it didn't suprise me.

The LAPD SWAT Custom II is really a totally different gun to the MCSOCOM ICQB, but the lack of an ambi safety still suprised me. Since LAPD don't run lanyards, though, the lack of a lanyard loop isn't that suprising.

Guess they just didn't have many lefties on SWAT. <_<

Another note, I'm surprised the WA MCSOCOM comes with Wilson mag. :huh: Sure, all 1911 single stacks are supposed to be interchangable, but factory Kimbers don't come with Wilson mag.

Here's a pic of Warrior (basically the civ version of the MCSOCOM) straight from real steel Kimber's website. http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/warrior-lrg.jpg

The safety on the Kimber Custom II is not ambi-dextrous, unfortunately.

I think the front slide serrations looks quite good, otherwise, the slide looks too "naked", and of course, it is functional for those who like to rack the slide from front.  There's a round-indicator on the ejection port also.

The real Kimber Custom II is also much cheaper compare to other similarly customized 1911s (such as Wilson), and more reliable than other 1911s in the same price range (such as Springfield).  Unlike the Beretta 92FS, the Kimber Custom II was adopted (by LAPD SWAT) for a good reason, not politics. ;)

So, you're saying that it's a 1911 which has kinda been bodged to give it features similar to those you'd expect to find on pretty-much any other modern day pistol.

Nice. :rolleyes:

Personally, I think those grips and the fancy logo on the slide make em look like cheap springers. :D

So, you're saying that it's a 1911 which has kinda been bodged to give it features similar to those you'd expect to find on pretty-much any other modern day pistol.

Modern features on a classic, tried-and-tested design, put together to perfection, running the powerful round they wanted.

Perfect :D

There's also the issue of muscle memory - LAPD SWAT were previously running 1911 pistols. Using an improved version of their current design means that in the event of needing to use the sidearm, the officer already knows how to use it, and won't revert back to old instinct, or need expensive (both time and money-wise) re-training to use a new gun.

Shao, I believe the Marines use Wilson Combat mags with their Kimbers :)

Edited by HaVoC
Modern features on a classic, tried-and-tested design, put together to perfection, running the powerful round they wanted.

Out of curiousity, it is just the yanks who use Kimbers or are they widely used by LE/Military agencies in other countries as well?

Just the 'Yanks', I think

So, we're saying that all the other military and LE agencies in the world pick other guns besides the Kimber?

D'ya think it might be that the real reason the yanks use it is, primarily, just cos they like it rather than anything about how good it is?

It's because the 'Yanks' generally don't use the Kimber anyway.

Kimber are a manufacturer of custom guns. Some agencies chose Kimber after extensive testing - the LAPD and US Marine SOC.

They are, as far as I know, the only 2 government agencies issuing Kimber-made pistols.

The reason no-one else does is because no-one else buys custom-made pistols from Kimber for their forces - it's a niche thing. There are quite a few countries using the 1911, if I remember correctly, just not Kimber varients.

It's because the 'Yanks' generally don't use the Kimber anyway.

Kimber are a manufacturer of custom guns. Some agencies chose Kimber after extensive testing - the LAPD and US Marine SOC.

They are, as far as I know, the only 2 government agencies issuing Kimber-made pistols.

The reason no-one else does is because no-one else buys custom-made pistols from Kimber for their forces - it's a niche thing. There are quite a few countries using the 1911, if I remember correctly, just not Kimber varients.

Yep. Other than the SWATs and HRTs, most of the law enforcement agencies/departments do not issue 1911s, or any SA only guns for that matter. That doesn't mean no cops other than SWAT carry 1911s, but they'll probably have to pay for it out of their own pocket. So if one has to buy his own 1911, Kimber offers some of the best deal, only marginally more expensive than a un-customized colt, it comes with a lot of nice features like the ones for the Custom II. If you go buy the same package from Wilson, it'd probably cost twice as much.

And for the military here, they issue the M9s, and the marines and some other special forces begged the top brass to "re-instate" 1911s for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

D'ya think it might be that the real reason the yanks use it is, primarily, just cos they like it rather than anything about how good it is?

The real question you should be asking is "why do they like the Kimber over other brands?" ;)

So if one has to buy his own 1911, Kimber offers some of the best deal, only marginally more expensive than a un-customized colt, it comes with a lot of nice features like the ones for the Custom II.  If you go buy the same package from Wilson, it'd probably cost twice as much.

And for the military here, they issue the M9s, and the marines and some other special forces begged the top brass to "re-instate" 1911s for obvious reasons. :rolleyes:

Yes Kimbers are very nice and apparently reliable, although they haven't really been battle proven except with LAPD SWAT. I still stand by my hatred of Kimbers, or at least the compact ones. I guess you have to own a compact 1911 to know how much they suck. Good thing about the Kimbers is that they are readilly available at most gun shows and gun shops. Also, if you order from the top 1911 companies (Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Rock River Arms) then you unfortunately will be on a very long waiting list.

As Shao said above, we use the M9. Marines do not use the Kimber and will not use the Kimber in combat. It is not among the preferred in the US Forces.

As Shao said above, we use the M9.  Marines do not use the Kimber and will not use the Kimber in combat.  It is not among the preferred in the US Forces.

Tut tut, generalisations ;)

The Marines as a whole use the M9, but the Marine SOC units have been issued the Kimber MCSOCOM ICQB. They wanted a .45, ran tests, and this won.

I think you'll actually find, however, that the 1911 is preferred - the number of soldiers yearning for the replacement of the M9 with the old 1911 is astounding. It's even more of a problem in places like Iraq, where stories abound of men high on khat having an entire M9 magazine of 9mm rounds put into them and still running at the soldier firing at him.

The reason soldiers seem to want the 1911 is because they seem to regard it as more reliable (true or not), and they want a round that, even if it won't kill someone high on illegal substances, will put them flat on their *albatross* (i.e. the .45ACP).

Tut tut, generalisations ;)

The Marines as a whole use the M9, but the Marine SOC units have been issued the Kimber MCSOCOM ICQB. They wanted a .45, ran tests, and this won.

I think you'll actually find, however, that the 1911 is preferred - the number of soldiers yearning for the replacement of the M9 with the old 1911 is astounding. It's even more of a problem in places like Iraq, where stories abound of men high on khat having an entire M9 magazine of 9mm rounds put into them and still running at the soldier firing at him.

The reason soldiers seem to want the 1911 is because they seem to regard it as more reliable (true or not), and they want a round that, even if it won't kill someone high on illegal substances, will put them flat on their *albatross* (i.e. the .45ACP).

I know they want the 1911. Switching to the M9 was a very big mistake. I get quite fired up every time I talk about it. I just want to know why in the hell a perfectly reliable (and sexy) gun was replaced by a 9mm. But anyways I did not know that the Marines adopted the Kimber. I have to say, I'm starting to like them more and more. But not as much as the Les Baer :D

EDIT: Except for this one. DesertWarrior_right.jpg

On a side note... SilentPanther you were online during school? I thought you had exams?

Yes I did. They went quite swimmingly, but it twas a half day. :P

Edited by Silent-Panther