Star G36 initial impressions and review

dougaliath

As an owner of a TM fitted with a CA body, I can say I much prefer the CA body. It feels "full" as screamin weasel mentioned. Really nice, more solid than the TM. It feels almost woody, reminiscent of a baseball bat. Its the better of the two by far. The Star body, I have no experience with, nor do I really see the need to. The CA36 series is great.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

fo sho. i bet a TM selector plate wouldnt have 'come loose' in transit <_<

i agree though - the mags dont click in really positively in my CA gun, but then im not one for fannying about when slapping a new mag in, so it dont bother me. i have yet to get inside it, will do soon though - got a KV stock to wire in :)

Since we're on the subject of CA36's, does anyone know why a lot of places dont have the long version in stock, but they do have the K?

It's a more popular size, better suited for both cqb and woodland, and you get the mount points for side rails, so more likely to sell.

Incidently, has anyone else noticed the CA36's in the UK cronoing as if they have a M90 spring in them? (ie under 300fps)

As an owner of a TM fitted with a CA body, I can say I much prefer the CA body.

Now that's getting REALLY hybrid. By the way, I didn't even know that you could buy the CA36 body seperately. Also, does that then give you the problem of the "slack" mag well though?

Isn't there a way to just tone down the shine of the TM body?

Now that's getting REALLY hybrid. By the way, I didn't even know that you could buy the CA36 body seperately. Also, does that then give you the problem of the "slack" mag well though?

Isn't there a way to just tone down the shine of the TM body?

Army Code do a CA-style plastic body kit. I have this but have not fitted it to the TM, as plastic is fine. I know people get worked up about the shine, but for me it's not a problem.

The magwell fits on to the body snugly on the Army Code body, so this is an improvement over my CA36c. I rate the Army Code plastic better than Star's but not as good as the CA's look-and-feel-wise. I haven't tested either to destruction.

my CA36k is chronoing at about 300 at best. but i imported mine from HK

Through bitter experience I always get CA AEGs upgraded before I even chrono them. It's the only way to be sure.

There are still some advantages to owning the TM. Still, it doesn't shoot as hard, stock.

This is true. But since I would never use a CA stock, it's irrelevant to me ;)

There have been a few questions regarding compatibility of an aftermarket spring guide. I ordered one (King Arms version 3 metal bearing) to replace the stock (non-bearing) one. Here are several pics for comparison issues:

Shows the different style head. The allen wrench fitting is helpful for the quick spring change feature. I am considering dremeling a slot in the aftermarket which would allow a flat head screw driver.

DSCF0384.jpg

DSCF0385.jpg

DSCF0382.jpg

The aftermarket one is just a hair wider at the head and would need to be grinded just slightly to fit smoothly into the gearbox. Also the side tabs would have to be cut down.

DSCF0380.jpg

The spring guide should work without modification if you don't plan to use the quick spring change feature. Meaning, that you treat it like a normal spring guide setup where you have to compress the spring before putting the two gearbox halves together and reassemble. I for one, however, bought the Star version b/c I liked the quick change feature as I play with different setups (ROF vs Power/ Accuracy etc). This is just an FYI for those curious about installing an aftermarket spring guide for the gun. Hope it helps.

Just a quick FYI. I also noticed that the stock cylinder head is not the same dimensions as a version 3 aftermarket cylinder head. The nozzle area on the stock one is long than aftermarket ones. I bought a version 3 systema and noticed that the nozzle area was shorter. I tried it anyway and saw an approx 25 fps drop (checked with chrono). I switched back to the stock one in the mean time. I'm not sure if another version (version 6?) would work. I will post pics next time I have the gearbox apart. Does anyone have experience with this part yet?

I'm not quite sure if I understand exactly what you are asking. If by "standard cylinder head" you mean the stock one, then yes it works fine and is of decent quality. The nozzle is also of decent quality. Both parts have been hard to find aftermarket parts for as of yet. If by "standard cylinder head" you mean an aftermarket one (like systema, etc), then yes it works also but you may experience FPS loss due to a shorter nozzle area. I will post pics in the near future. Let me know if you have further questions or if I did not understand you right.

Thanks a lot.

By "standart" I mean aftermarket ones, but for the last question I was talking about stock one.

Once more, sorry for bad english.

edit:

In fact, I was quite anxious because some parts weren't like the ones we are accustomed.

So a small breakage could be catastrophic. But if only a fps loss results, I think I'll invest in this AEG soon ;)

Thanks for the info regardind the cylinder head. It appears that it would be the size. Are you actually using the AUG head in the gun or are you guessing though? I don't want to buy another head that won't worked.

Good news about the aftermarket Systema V3 head. I wanted to give in another shot so I reinstalled it after re-greasing the internals (gears and cylinder) with a new lube that I got. After installing the aftermarket V3 cylinder head, I rechrono'd; with a PDI 170 I was right at 390'ish with a high of 402 fps. Again, I am a US player here and am just posting for US informational purposes. I am temporarily retracting my previous post regarding the 25 fps loss. I retract it until further testing can be done. I'm not sure if it was a better airseal caused by the new grease in the cylinder. I was using a product called Lube Gel (commonly available in the US at a retailer named Radio Shack). This new stuff is similiar to Systema's cylinder grease. Anyway, I will do some additional follow up testing.

I am also posting pictures of my completed modification allowing me to use an aftermarket bearing spring guide. I able to use the quick spring change feature without any problems. It took about 5 minutes using a wheel grinder. I shaved a little bit around the circumference of the end and then shorted the tabs on the sides. I began to grind a slot on the head but stopped when I realized that I didn't need to. I was able to insert the guide (with spring) and turn it using a torx screw driver (looks like a star and is used to unscrew gearbox screws on TM gearboxes). I think this will be an effective mod b/c the spring seems too tight around the spring guide; a bearing would allow it to twist easier thereby reducing internal stress during full auto mode. Let me know what you think.

DSCF0391.jpg

DSCF0389.jpg

got mystar g36k today and im very inpressed, chronoing somewhere in the region of 320 maybe more according to the poor mans chrono - now i just need a shedlad of mags and some more bits - i have to say the scope is small but usable - very clear at 20 metres - good for the spotting im gonna use it for and the reflex im gonna wedge on top will be more for actual shooting - also pt a full midcap and hicap through it - not a problem - role on the 1st skirmish

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived