General gear & load out question

infected

I didn't realise that SEALs used the USP (a personal favorite of mine)... hum... okay.

I'm going to hit local surplus store (only one near by) to see what they have.    So what your suggesting is using ALICE style suspenders as opposed to a tradional tactical vest such as :  http://airsoftatlanta.com/images/warhead_c...aw_od_1_jpg.jpg

USP is an amazing piece of work. One of my favorites to shoot.

You can get alice "deuce gear" on the cheap. I got my pistol belt for $6. The suspenders for $3 and M4/M16 mag pouches for $6 a piece. And I think I paid $13 for the butt pack.

I ditched the canteen ASAP. It just drug the entire harness down in an awkward way. Instead I went with a camelbak.

If you play in the woods, watch out for the ALICE gear to get hung up a lot. And it's definitely awkward when taking cover to do a mag change. I switched to a molle vest for the upcoming season because in the end, I felt like I was battling the gear as much as the opponent.

A buddy of mine who was in Desert Storm with ALICE gear went straight to a LBV. It looked pretty danged cool.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I liked the look of the MOLLE stuff, but man that stuff is expensive isn't it? I kinda like the look of the LBV-88 as it seems to sling your junk around less.

I'm still hoping that someone will tell me if this would look authentic for a SEAL.

It's about the same pricing as what I've found the ALICE stuff to be, but it looks like it won't get hung up on every twig, and won't make as much noise when moving.

Sorry infected,

but you seem to be at cross purposes:

ALICE Gear = Authentic (to some degree) and Cheap

MOLLE Gear / Vests = High Speed / Low Drag and Pricey

BTW: I have used both and still use my ALICE gear for certain situations / loadouts. I think if you take a few standard prep steps, ALICE gear is not a problem in the field (BTW these work equally as well in the broader context of field craft and camo, no matter what gear you use):

The Three Standard Issues are:

Shine - Thing are not bright and shiny metallic in nature (typically) so tape or paint anything that shines. Along the same lines, anything that sticks out or could get hung up should be looked at and either taped, cut off or tucked in. IF IT MIGHT GET SNAGGED, IT WILL!!!

Sound - If it shakes, rattles and rolls thats bad... tape it down. If it needs to move, find a way to silence it. (This is why I wont use High Caps BTW)

Silhouette - Do whatever you can to break up your shape... Humans tend to recognise objects / people by shape and movement. You can actively adjust the way you move in the field, but unless you pay attention to your shape...it may be in vane. I try and use a bit of the local foliage, as well as camo paint, to break up my recognizable features. Obviously, this is a balance between ease of movement and camouflage, so try it a bit at a time.

If properly prepared, ALICE gear will work well and cost half as much.

Frankly the key to looking "authentic SEAL" is to prep your gear like your life depends on it...

Jimsin, infected was not asking about a MOLLE rig.

He was asking about the LBV-88, also known as the TLBV. This was used by the US Navy Seals in the early 90s.

Basic kitlist:

US Woodland BDU's, Trousers, Jacket, Boonie

Camcream

LBV-88

Nomex flight gloves, fingers cut off

Jungle boots

SOG Seal Pup

You have a big choice of weapons:

M4

M4/203

M16

M16/203

M14

M60

Misfit-

You miss my point,

infected was asking about how to put together an inexpensive rig, which would look SEAL-like, had it mostly worked out and then through LBV-88 into the mix. My only point is that ALICE is cheap and works great... Why muddy the waters?

If money was no object your list would be great...

Thanks guys.  Hey Jimisin73... If I was looking to throw a LITTLE more $$$ into it... would the LBV-88 look pretty authentic?  I just like the way it keeps more gear closer to your body.

Yes, it would, as I already said.

The kitlist which I gave, is not very expensive. As an estimation the whole loadout would probably cost around £100.

so that's about $175 USD.  hum... well, let me get the BDU's and see what I have left :D

You could easily get a LBV88 and pistol belt with mag pouches for under that amount. I even got my BDUs on the cheap. A local surplus store had 'em in and my set looked brand new - were crisp even. I wasn't actually happy with how they looked till I was rolling around in the dirt for a while. ;)

I'm biased against ALICE (suspenders) for airsoft though. While rigging the setup is important, ALICE seems to depend on the weights of an actual real steel type gear loadout to balance properly. And even then they tend to want to ride up in the front.

I whole heartedly recommend the LBV route vs the suspenders - Y or H type.

Infected,

Units around the world use the MP5, delta force, air crewmen, GSG-9, you get the point...

I would go with a basic tactical vest and a balaclava. The balaclava has saved my face several times, I HIGHLY recommend them to anyone. Also, get a good pair of boots, about 30,000 rounds of ammo (unlike what I have done) and a buch of midcaps, no highs, you'll thank my so many times I won't be able to keep my inbox empty. Winding highcaps is just another thing to think of. It is far easier to change mags twice as often. Plus, there is no rattling, some that has given guys away when I have played.

Archived