Modding my FAMAS

nada987

I've just finished a fairly large modification to my FAMAS F1, which involved completely cutting off the handle then very carefully cutting parts out to form a better top for the FAMAS and then sprayed the whole thing matt back. Aswell as this, the coat of matt black paint has removed all creaking and even stiffened up the outer barrel so now it dowsnt wobble one bit at all.

Im still waiting for enough money top finish the project and ut a nice scope on the top of it as it doesn't have any iron sights at the moment.

Heres a few pics:

First Pic

Second Pic

I also came across on my pc, the photo showing how to modify your gearbox to take different motors.

eg700motormount5tw.jpg

• 5 months later...

NICE JOB MAN! i too have a famas, and did a very similar mod. mine has a pvc "silencer" with pipe insulation inside that actually reduces noise, and a red dot on my mount (like the one you made). now yours is much prettier, and will show mine up, but ill post pics when they're available (a few days maybe).

once again, great job. especially with $12 :P .

I'm thinking of getting a FAMAS to mod soon and I was wondering if anyone had some good profile shots of a stock FAMAS so I can do some mockup in photoshop. I'm gonna take off the handle (who wouldn't?) and stick a rail all the way along the top. Then modify the front grip to be sleaker and more ergonomic. The trigger guard would be used as a base to model a moulded grip that flows into the front (similar to the P90). I'd also like to see what can be done about the gearbox. Would that new gear box from G&G fit because it looks like it would be about the right size and I could put some high quality internals in that.

What I mean is that it looks like its wonky and doesn't flow the way I feel it should. Anyway, here is a 5 minute photochop of what I'm thinking of. Its terrible and I didn't get the grip looking right, but it gives you the general gist. The positioning of the RDS is provisional and it would attach by means of two metal push pins. That way I can swithch between that and a 20mm rail depending on how I feel.

I might also try someting similar to Donut's P90/G36 mashup except with the FAMAS. We'll see how I feel when I actually get one to play with, although that will probably be next year so my plans are a bit premature.

EDIT: forgot to add pic :blush:

post-21157-1160337568_thumb.jpg

if its a p90/famas "mash-up" you want, talk to hardcoil (i think thats his name :huh: ). hes posted on this thread already, so he shouldnt be too hard to find. anyways, good luck.

btw, the pic looks horrible like you said :P , and i personally dont like it. although, any modification to a stock famas is improvement, so go for it.

P.S. (to starter of thread): sorry for kinda thread-jacking this :P .

I really couldn't get that forgrip to look right so I just left it as is. I think I'll go for the P90 idea as it looked a lot better when I put it on paper. Mine is rather different to Hardcoil's though ;) I'm just wondering if its going to be possible to fit the V6 gearbox into the back of the FAMAS. Hopefull without the need for the magwell on the bottom there will be enough room. Without comparing the two its not possible to tell.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I know, I know, I am raising this thread from the dead...

I will be getting my FA-MAS soon and I am planning to do something similar to what nada987 did. I am also going to try to integrate a red dot in whatever design I make.

w00t!

Oh, I've found that in skirms and such when I have the red dot on top, people seem to mistake my gun for the Halo 2 battle rifle... not my intention, although there is a distinct resemblance. In an effort to stop that association I shortenend the outer barrel by about 4 inches. It still looks remarkably similar to the Halo rifle, but that mod helped a little, plus it's no longer as cumbersome.

Heh... the FAMAS itself looks quite similar to the Halo Battle Rifle, considering that it was the base for the Battle Rifle's design...

But uh, your mod looks considerably different from the battle rifle, considering the battle rifle has a carrying handle. :P

battle_rifle_front.jpg

You should tell them not to be noobz0rmonkeys any more. They will probably understand.

Awesome, awesome mod by the way :D

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, reviving this thread one more time...

I'm considering selling my FAMAS, but I have no idea how to gauge what the value of that upgrade is. Its an F1, with all the upgrades that are in the pics, AND it has a tightbore barrel and an M100 spring (both professionally installed). I also did an anti-creaking mod. It's not heavily used sooo...

I was thinking like $360 for all that plus a full-stock mag pouch, hicap mag, and two batteries.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

The FAMAS is a fairly old design and is about $200 new most places. But, your's does have the upgrades. I don't know how much they are worth exactly, so I would say maybe more around $300+shipping?

But, like I said, I don't know the value of the upgrades :)

Archived