ICS mp5?

LordShigeru

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are screws around the edges of the body (where you have removed the ABS furniture). Un-do those and the two halves will separate.

Remember to make a map of which screw went where so that they all go back in the right place ;)

The previous photos show that you have removed the foregrip and the pistol-grip (including gearbox). You don't need to worry about those parts for a hOP-UP upgrade, so put them to one side.

The upper body (the part with the brass barrel sticking out of the front) is the piece you need to separate. The HOP-UP unit is in there.

• 2 months later...

I just bought an ICS MP5 A2 (yes I like SEF much better as well!) after reading the review on this site. However I've found quite a few points that were either missed or have changed in ICS's current production units.

(This is my 6th MP5 that I have bought...Yes I like Mp5's. The rest have all been TM up to now).

I was told by the store that it was an ICS MP5 A2 Version 3 unit (it was brand new in box).

First I'll start with the negatives:

- NO TRADEMARKS! I can't believe this missed the review! Or ICS has changed their bodies? The only markings were the ammo size on the magwell and on the mag. There were no HK, serial number, proof house markings on the top of the receiver at all.

- LOOSE MAG! The ICS HiCap Mag appears to have slightly rounded edges where it engages with the release switch so it will fall out of gun and can easily be pulled out with very little effort. The TM mags are seemingly more squared and do not come out. I can only assume this is a mold or mistake on my unit otherwise you guys would be screaming about it. All my TM mags (low caps) seat perfectly in the ICS frame however and you can pull all you like on them.

- The stock ICS 3 Lug barrel is not the same size (diameter) as TM, it cannot fit my TM PDW Flash Hider. I was able to almost force it on, but I could see it was cutting into the plastic of my Flash Hider.

- The foregrip plastic is very "flat" (as in flat black colour) and shows scratches very easily. It feels almost "dry" and abrasive to the touch unlike the TM units. Even my G&P Foregrip with 6P light has a much nicer feeling to the bare touch. This however may be a personal opinion.

- The metal body is only painted black (does not appear to be powder coated) and scratches VERY easily. I found this out from the bolt handle. When you perform even one gentle HK slap, the silver metal is exposed on the inner corner where the bolt handle normally rests in (when locked open) as the bolt scrapes the paint off there.

- The TM Claw scope mount is VERY tight and scratches the death out of the metal body. I spent about 20 minutes trying to "gently" put it on to ensure there would be no scratches but to no avail. Finally "forcing" it on did the trick but the scratches are huge. None too pleased about this but I'll almost always have the claw mount on so I won't see them.

- Box is very basic, no logo's or fancy artwork. No big deal there but for a collector, the TM boxes look quite nice in comparison.

- No BB's in box, also no big deal.

- Heat sink fins under the grip can give you a pinch if you are not careful (especially when drawing from over the shoulder rest by gripping the stock with left hand and whipping it around to grab grip with right). Not a big deal with gloves, but bare handed you can get a good pinch if you miss your grab for the grip.

- Rear sight is horrible. V-Groove is wrong for MP5A2 and all the holes are too similar in size. TM sight is much better, the size of the holes greatly vary in size. If you look closely at a real Mp5, you'll see that the one of the holes is massive. A little drilling will fix this but there is no way to fix the V-Groove. Time to install a TM sight... if it will fit.

- Front body pin is quite difficult to reinstall as the spring extends farther out and gets caught inside the grip at times when pushing it in. However, this may end up being a positive item as the pin won't move once it's in place! Time will tell.

- Wires for battery cable are ultra thin compared to TM guns. (I assume they can still handle the required current however). Not a big deal, just an interesting observation.

---

Now for some Positives:

- Holes in stock (normally used to store body pins when disassembling) are hollow so you could put the pins in them just like a real MP5 but once battery is inserted, you can't use them (You can see the battery through the holes). However, TM doesn't even have these holes (they use screws). Also the ICS (like the TM) only has one Body pin, the rest are screw and nut. So no need for two holes anyways but it was a nice touch on ICS's part.

- Mag well clip looks to be riveted just like the real steel. TM uses screws. The ICS Clip has wider gap as well, fits the HK R3/3 sling better (I only use original German HK slings on my MP5s). I wish the TM's were like this!

- Fire Selector has nice feel and moves easily with one finger. Very Positive engagement.

- Manual is pretty good and has English for all captions unlike TM.

---

Overall the unit did not impress me as much as I thought it would but I did have high expectations after reading the review here. If TM had an SEF trigger group, I'd recommend that instead, but ICS appears to be the only modern AEG with SEF. Yes the metal body is nice but due to the lack of trademarks I think an aftermarket body would be a better choice for collectors (players may not care about trademarks).

Thankfully the price was not much higher than a TM so I still feel it was a good deal with getting a solid feeling AEG that should be good for using as a field gun.

Just to jump in quickly with 2cps worth.

I too have the ICS mp5 and have been playing with it for the last 4 weeks at Firefight Electroworkz in central london.

The gun performs very well out of the box, bursts are arcuate and I have no problem standing toe to toe with some of the (very heavy) firepower players there.

The gun, for all its metal parts is light and I can easily one hand it and whip out the TM AEP glock 18c (on full auto - which is the nuts btw) for extra fire power when rushing. The frame is tough as old boots as proved last week when one of my team ran full pelt and head first into the front!

All in all just a few minor gripes:

1. The ICS hicap mags rattle - sorted that with tape.

2. The fire selector is pants. Consquently I keep it on full auto and fire in bursts (my personal pref anyway)

3. Fitting the battery in the front hand grip (mine is the A5) is tough and the fuse holder broke immediately. I have replaced it with some heavy duty tape. The wires are also very easy to wreck putting the battery in, again tape to the rescue.

4. The hop up selector is both a blessing and a curse. It sticks out the top of the front hand grip and can be played with between shots if needed. Thats good. However, I have big hands, very big hands, and keep moving it accidently whilst running etc. I finally taped it down, but may even glue it in position.

5. The rear sight is slightly ###### (as someone mentioned) but then I'm wearing a mask and in Electroworkz you dont need to be able to pinpoint aim. Using the gun SAS style I aim using body posistion, inution, and looking through the front sight. I am finding that the gun is consistant enough that I dont have to "walk" my pelets onto the target and dont waste much ammo (unlike the vast majority of the players there - last week there was four box mag players and three people with gredane launchers - ouch!)

With a 1000 battery I can play solidly for the whole night with no problems.

I also bought the ICS 2 mags clamp which is also performing well (so far) and the ICS mini laser which kicks *albatross* (although Firefight dont let me use it :( ).

Anyway, I too wish to learn how to engineer my ICS so if anyone makes a guide I will be most gratefull.

Regards

Basho

post-359-1110276342_thumb.jpgI had a TM MP5A5 and sold it , i still have the TM MP5K & CA MP5SD2.

I replaced the TM MP5A5 with the ICS MP5A5 and this is undoubtedly the best MP5,good ROF with my small 9.6 V battery, fps is 318 out of the box, full metal.

I bought the ICS after reading the review here on Arnies.

Conclusion : Go for the ICS MP5 !

Greetz,

Flat.

• 2 months later...

I have a question on the internals. I've seen comments on this site that the ICS MP5 internals are not all compatible with standard aftermarket parts, unlike TM & CA. However, comments in this thread seem to say the opposite. Can anyone confirm one way or another? Obviously, a few people have replaced the tappet plate, hop up rubber and motor, so those must be compatible. What about other parts like the spring/gears?

Archived