BlackHawkIndustries Gear

1cem4n

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i'm so undecided right now, it's either the STRIKE Omega Gen 4 MOLLE Vest- Long from blackhawk or the Omega Elite Phalanx HSV Vest unless somebody shows me better. With the Phalanx HSV, I could probably save a few bucks but not as much functionality. With the MOLLE vest, I will get more functionality but a little more expensive. I guess I'll just go with the MOLLE vest.

Iceman, good to see your going with something like that...

More then likely it will serve you until the end of you airsoftdays, if not, return it and get another... not shabby at 70-80$ imho

i didn't want to sat anything, but i find it odd that when someone like yourself comes in and start a topic like this..

People are always off adising 5-6-700$ pieces of gear and acting like BHI stuff is something like viperstuff...

i mean come on guys, sure those expensive rigs are the *beep* but there is a several hundred dollar pricegap between what hes talking about and what your suggesting <_<

from the sound of it, you havent been airsofting long (i could be wong offcourse) so instead of dropping several hundred dollars on gear, see if you like it enoguh to buy that kinda of gear, but more importantly, get a feel of your own playingstyle and buy the gear that suits it...

anyways, jusy my 2cents ;) , :flamed: on :P

Well said sturgis

I'd love to have an Eagle CIRAS in MC complete with pouches, just because, but I can by no means afford one, or even justify buying one. Sure, if my life depended on it, I'd get the best stuff possible, but at the moment it doesn't.

BHI stuff is more than up to the task of casual, and even serious, airsofting. It looks as good as the other manufacturers, and does a good enough job a this level.

1cem4n, definitely go for MOLLE stuff. If you don't like a particular bit of the Phalanx vest, like the draw of the mags or the location of the utility pouches, then you could change it on a MOLLE vest. MOLLE means you can just get the pouches you need, and not have anything unnecessary.

Depending upon what you carry (how many mags, how much spare ammo, gas, etc.), you needn't spend a fortune. A BHI plate carrier will set you back $80, but if you want the feel of a vest, the Omega one is good.

I would recommend a HSGI Weesatch. They're a little more expensive, but with the built in mag pouches (that should accept both armalite and G36 mags), you needn't buy any mag pouches at all (let alone two seperate sets). I'm saving for one currently, but I might consider just buying a replica one (since its only for 'softing).

http://www.optactical.com/weesatch.html

Good luck finding a rig.

Myself, my teammates, and several of my colleagues and acquaintances swear by Blackhawk gear. It's well-made, affordable (especially if you have access to a military or law enforcement account!), and perfectly adequate to the needs of the average airsofter. In fact, whilst i haven't tested their gear in the desert (not that most, if any, of the people on this forum have), i have tested it extensively in urban, British woodland, and have even tested a few items in tropical rainforest and mountainous terrain over in South-East Asia!

The BHi vest that i am currently most fond of (and i've tried a couple in the past) is the Omega Elite assault vest - 6 pouches along midriff, a couple of multi-use pouches at chest-height, and MOLLE on the back for radio pouches/stun grenade pouches/etc... and also has a compartment inside for a hydration bladder (which i don't use). Virtually everything is adjustable to the needs of the user, and it is very comfortable to move around in (though it doesn't feel as light as cheaper makes, such as Webtex and Viper).

Based on what i see at the site i run and at the sites i play at, most of the guys who come fully kitted out in the most gucci gear that money can buy end up being the slowest movers, the quickest to overheat, and spend most of their time posing for camera shots and talking about how their gear's the best (whilst the rest of the punters are busy playing). If you just want to get stuck in and play some quality airsoft, without having to worry about the durability of your kit, you can't go wrong with a Blackhawk setup. If you want to try and outdo your peers in the flash department and show off the size of your wallet, then by all means go for something more expensive.

At the end of the day, as with any tactical gear, it comes down to what you want to use it for. Cos no matter how much you spend on a gucci piece of equipment, it sure as hell won't get you laid.

If you want a good rig, Eagle's chest rig (MOLLE) is the best bang for your buck. You can find it at SKD Tactical. Runs around $80

Buy cheap, buy twice.

Suggesting $$$ because we haven't airsofted much? If I'm not mistaken, we airsofters treat our gear as hard as the soldiers do (or at least I do). If you find BHI gear lasting through a few years of hard use, then you're not playing hard enough ;)

All my BHI gear have come apart after a year or so. My Eagle mag pouches are still going strong.

Or, for a better deal, go on to www.tacticaltailor.com and get their woodland camo "sales" kit. That's gear that's far nicer quality than BHI's and comes complete, ready for a M4. Then all you need are pouches for your SL-9

That right there is a winning suggestion. It's the same one I recommend to all my friends who are buying gear. A couple of them have done it, and couldn't be happier.

Thanks for all the replies guys, I will tell my girlfriend to get the Omega Elite Phalanx HSV Vest and I'll probably write up a review of it. This thread really has a lot of other info other thank BHI and the pros and cons. don't flame too much lol.

That right there is a winning suggestion. It's the same one I recommend to all my friends who are buying gear. A couple of them have done it, and couldn't be happier.

Pity it went unnoticed...

I would get it myself, but Woodland doesn't suit my impression ;):P

Iceman, good to see your going with something like that...

More then likely it will serve you until the end of you airsoftdays, if not, return it and get another... not shabby at 70-80$ imho

i didn't want to sat anything, but i find it odd that when someone like yourself comes in and start a topic like this..

People are always off adising 5-6-700$ pieces of gear and acting like BHI stuff is something like viperstuff...

i mean come on guys, sure those expensive rigs are the *beep* but there is a several hundred dollar pricegap between what hes talking about and what your suggesting  <_<

BHI stuff is GOOD. But when the first post states

...determined to get me the best vest that money can buy. I heard that BHI had top notch ones

We had the duty of informing him that BHI doesn't make the top notch products. Not when compared to other makes such as HSGI and Eagle anyways.

And honestly, $80 for a vest that is no longer used when compared to the $160 Eagle Plate Carrier of FAR superior quality or even the Tactical Tailor Woodland Sales kit (again, one of the best deals I've ever seen) isn't that big a jump. Especially when he's stated that he wanted the best money can buy.

I would get it myself, but Woodland doesn't suit my impression ;):P

You're preaching to the choir, I bought my TT MAV/bib/X-harness in OD with a paltry half-dozen pouches for it, and that didn't come nearly close to the amount of stuff you get in that woodland sale kit and cost over twice as much. If I only needed woodland stuff...

I may still buy one and convert my OD rig to a dedicated CQB rig.

I've had half a dozen different BHI vests, several Eagle ones, and frankly, I found the most useful, cost effective and sufficient set up is the Commando Recon Chest Harness. Sure you could spend twice as much and get the eagle version, but then again, at that price you could get 2 of the BHI versions, and have them kitted up for several environments. If you want the rear plate, get it, but it's not really necessary.

I currently have 3 CRCH's (Desert Tan, Olive Drab and Black), all kitted out, all for less than the cost of a Ciras or RAV.

I never said that BHI was the lowest bidder, only that they supply the US military.  And I know this because I have friends/family/neighbors in the military.

Yeah its called private purchasing. SDS currently supply the Army, AITES the Marines IIRC, and some Marine units are issued the CIRAS and MLCS pouch set

umm, my STAR SL-9 was never shipped to me so I got a refund and got an SR-25 instead.  Does anybody know if the SR-25 clips will fit in the magazine pouches on the BHI Omega Elite Phalanx HSV Vest?

SR25 mags are similarly sized to G3 magazines. So most likely no.

Suggesting $$$ because we haven't airsofted much? If I'm not mistaken, we airsofters treat our gear as hard as the soldiers do (or at least I do). If you find BHI gear lasting through a few years of hard use, then you're not playing hard enough wink.gif

All my BHI gear have come apart after a year or so. My Eagle mag pouches are still going strong.

I would strongly disagree with that statement. No matter how hardcore an airsofter you are, a military person is going to be doing that much more diving, crawling, getting shot at with their gear on not to mention all kinds of other ###### like sand and shrapnel. Besides, they do that kinda stuff day in day out where our gear gets used 8 days out of a month at best? I enjoy having real deal stuff but I use BHI as well because its affordable and it will still hold up. Sure it may degrade in a few years but it wont cost me my life and it just gives me an excuse to buy more gear.

I would strongly disagree with that statement. No matter how hardcore an airsofter you are, a military person is going to be doing that much more diving, crawling, getting shot at with their gear on not to mention all kinds of other ###### like sand and shrapnel. Besides, they do that kinda stuff day in day out where our gear gets used 8 days out of a month at best? I enjoy having real deal stuff but I use BHI as well because its affordable and it will still hold up. Sure it may degrade in a few years but it wont cost me my life and it just gives me an excuse to buy more gear.

Well, I play ten hours a week (I usually find an hour or so with friends) and I'm HARD on my gear. I have gone through two BHI OMEGA vests in a span of three years. I'm currently wearing a FROG rig from SOE Gear (or was) and it is holding up strong.

And yes, I crawl, jump, etc. with my gear

what about straight m16 mags?  or are they same as g3 mags?  oh, and it's not an sr-25, it's a G&P SPR/A Special Edition.

I think the SPR/A uses armalite mags, so you needn't worry about two types of mags.

Good luck with whatever setup you choose, and good skirmishing!

Oh, and congratulations at having such a great girl. My ex thought I was just a bit weird.

Archived