Guess what woke me up

Deepeyes

Well this morining i was woken up by a 3min long earthquake, nothing big but enough to wake me from my slumber. Then there are these treats of tidle waves which have hit the Island, I have not had any water come to my house "yet", i should be inland far enought for it to be very little threat. So far the unconfirm death tole on the island is 22. The first wave that hit was 10m high. I have taken percoutions and moved water and food supplys to the second floor of the house. The airport is closed (as it's next to the see and could possibly be flooded). The police have closed access to all the costal areas. I hear helicopters fly over my house all the time along with emergency servises driving up the main road. There are no english local stations to warn torist or the expacts, i had to wait till the BBC started reporting about it to get details. That ###### me off more than anything, I feel more torist lives could have been saved IF they didn't take the english radio off the air. Now there are a mass of uninformed scared toristst all over the island, with no way of getting infomration except from losse translations from hotel staff.

Well I'm safe and will update you guys as much as I can, or as long as the power stays on.

A few more waves are due to hit.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alot of people have evacuated already. I'm not going to as i'm inland far enough as the sea shouldn't beable to reach me. I just have to look out of after shocks. Most areas have theire own water resivoirs and people don't drink tap water anyways, everything is bottled or you have a purifier, so water should be ok. There are still big search and rescue going on at the moment, alot of people are still missing. And cars are up in trees. The first wave was 6m and the second was 10m. Whole costal areas have been totally devistated, building ripped clean of thier foundations.

Well I'm keeping myself safe and I honestly appreciate the consern. This was an X-mas to remeber thats for sure ^_^.

Alot of dead (around 120 last count), just as many missing. The airport has been re-opend. We are expecting after shocks but I haven't felt any yet. If the first waves from teh inicial quake didn't reach me then i don't really have to worry too much about after shocks as they are never as strong as the innicial one. I'm still trying to get in contact with my friends becasue the mobile servise is over loaded i can't call them.

yeah, I heard about this at first here. My mom's friend's sister and her husband are there right now. They live in the hills and she said they watched as the waves destroyed everything. That's really bad to happen on christmas :( We have hurricanes here in the U.S. My Grandparents' beach house nearly gets destroyed every year from them in North Carolina (Avon, Outer Banks), since it's waterfont. But those houses are built for floods and hurricanes. They are all built on stilts. But when the waves are 30' or so high....... most houses are not that high up.

Good luck with everything, and if you can do something to help those in need. Of course don't put yourself in unnecessary danger, but you might be able to save someone! Keep us updated :)

Got back from my school today, just helped with moving bedding for the displaced. I wanted to give blood but they are only looking for negative, and i'm possitive. I left my number at the school so if they need anything they are gonna call me up, (includes blood if need be). I haven't gone down to look at the damage as the roads coming out of the area a cloged full of traffic flowing, and i don't want to get in the way of rescue efforts. I talked to some survivors about there ordeals, seen young children in casts and bandages. One of my friends was able to get to patong to check on the damage. He said recue divers are still getting bodies from the underground levels of shoping centers, A house we celebrated a friends birthday party at about a year ago was totally gone. Alot more people are evacuating patong and other effected areas because we have felt a few after shocks and a few smaller waves have apparently hit (this has not been reported on international news). I must praise the local athorities on their swift and desicive action. Rescues have happend, no expence has been spared to get people to medical care. Everything is calm, calculated and perfectly executed. There is no disorder.

Oh yea the name Phuket is pronounced "PooKet"

Good that I've been there already this summer. It's been such a wonderful place ... liked also the shooting range. Hard to believe that at the same paradise like beaches where I've been relaxing are now lying hundreds of dead tourist corpses. Just hope Phuket will recover soon and the people find back to normality soon.

Deepeyes, do you know if the Austrian Restaurant with their Boss and Staff is still okey? I liked their Schnitzel so much. Good luck to you! Hope the authorities can

prevent any outbreak of epidemics.

i saw a report last night on ABC's Nightline.

Apparently, in Sri Lanka (one of the harder hit areas) is going to have a lot of problems. Most of the population was on the coastline, so most of the homes were destroyed. To make matters worse, large parts of the country are under control by guerilla troops. The guerillas want the government to give relief money and supplies to THEM, and THEY will distribute the supplies. The UN and the government already threw that idea out, possibly since it has similarities to what happened in Somalia in the early 90's.

My mom is in contact with a guy in Malaysia who works for the State Dept. He went there about a week before this incident. He says that the death toll is at 75,000 as of a few hours ago :/...

World health experts expect the disease and contamination due to dead bodies and damage to roads (which will prevent aid distribution) to as much as DOUBLE the number of people that die. Sri Lanka has only one airport capable of large aircraft landings (any sort of cargo planes, even small ones), and most roads are destroyed. I'm sure it's the same way for many small island countries in that area.

Good luck to all who are there, and for us who are fortunate not to have experienced that, maybe try to help. I am checking out volunteer options at the moment....

More depressing is the fact that this is just a small sample of what the 'Ring of Fire' can do. If one of the larger volcanoes that form the ring go up, then they'll quite easily destroy most of North America. Worse still, there's the possibility that one or two major volcanoes could trigger the whole lot. Which'd be the end of mankind as we know it.

Big if you say? Yep. Only I remember being told by all the geology students I used to go drinking with at college that many of the volcanoes in the ring were already 50 years plus overdue to erupt. My little sister who is currently studying Geology has apparrently been told the same thing by her lecturers.

Moral of the story? Enjoy life whilst you can, seize the day and all that. The next tsunami could very possibly be coming your way...:(

yeh i'm sudying geology i can say yeh it's true but look at many things that world can go wrong polar caps melting astroids war, life is fragile and some time when major incidents like theese happens it makes people give to charaty and realise how fragile life is which rather upseting as always through ain and suffering that unifies humanty

Archived