TM type 89 Review

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I can tell, it's supposed to be operated with the right hand thumb. In all likelihood, it isn't located in a horribly ergonomic place to be operated by either lefties or rights, even with an ambidextrous selector.

And that Carrot bayonet makes me wish I had gotten a Type-89 instead of my RK-103. My one regret. :(

• 3 weeks later...

The reason the selector switch is on the right side is because all Japanese are taught to use their right hand, since it's difficult for them to write in their language with the left.

As for manipulating the selector switch, I copied how the JGSDF does it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOH6VWZHvNU

I don't suppose anyone would know if TM is planning on launching a folding stock version of the Type 89...?

Not yet dude, I would rather have them just release the stock seperately for us Type 89 pre-orderers. Everyone knows that buying another AEG for a different stock just isn't cool. <_<

The 3 round burst mechanism is sturdy enough to handle a large 9.6 battery. Shoots at a faster ROF, but a larger battery is definitely a plus. I use the First battery sling to use the larger battery. In fact, you can also add another wire from the gearbox to the stock (need to drill a hole for the wire to the stock) to allow you to use two 8.4 stick batteries at once. It's been done already and proven.

Got my Type 89 today.

My first two thoughts:

w00t!

and

Oscar Mike Foxtrot Gamma, this is a small rifle. It's as short as my G36Kv with the stock in the middle position. So small, in fact, that I half believe that Tokyo Marui makes a kid-size version and that's the one that I got.

It's got some heft to it, about as much as the RK-103. Only problem with it, IMHO, is that the MAG mid-caps look kinda funky in the mag well.

Also of note is the manual. Best airsoft manual EVAR. Too bad none of it is in English!

The plastic is, somewhat depressingly, typical Tokyo Marui. The ergonomics, other than the short stock, are very good. The pistol grip feels somewhat small, but I suspect that with gloves, it will be less noticeable. (Of note, the pistol grip is much larger than the RK-103's. Do Japanese men have larger hands than Russian men?) If one were to wear a flak jacket or other thick vest, the stock length would cease to be a problem.

Because the rifle is so small, I doubt that it would prove to be very difficult to use in all terrain.

Eventually, I'll get around to shooting it. But not until someone buys one of my other AEGs!

I don't really like the plastic. It feels like cheap plastic rather than high-end plastic, like the stuff on my CA36 and G&G RK-103. Not that it's horribly surprising... I used to own a TM SiG SG552.

EDIT: Turns out that the Type 89 at 916mm is just under two and a half dentimeters shorter than the AR-18. Which makes me go, "Huh?" because my father owns an AR-180 (Semi-Atuo-only model AR-18) and I don't recall it being that short. Odds are that most, if not all, of the length lost is in the stock. So I guess you could say that the Type 89 is a mountain rifle version of the AR-18....

EDIT2: Aha. Japanglish moment in the manual: The Bayoent Lug is labelled as a Bayonet Rug. :D

Edited by Jagdraben

Don't forget "code" instead of "cord". They did that in the M14 manual to. And alot of "noted" randomly placed in sentences.

BTW, if you're trying to figure out why the takedown latch isn't working....they forgot to translate "ダーミー"

I was fooling with that thing for hours before I finally read that.

Edited by sekiryu

Can't aim the thing with my goggles on.

More incentive to sell off one of the other guns so I can get RX shooting glasses....

EDIT:

I think the measurements in the manual are off. The Type 89 is recorded as being 916mm (just over 36") long with a 420mm (just over 16.5") barrel. The AR-18 is down as having an overall length of 940mm (a touch over 37") and a barrel of 464mm (a little over 17.25") in length.

The difference between the AR-18 and Type 89 in OA length: 24mm (.944").

The difference between the AR-18 and Type 89 in barrel length: 44mm (1.732").

If the Type 89 had the same length stock, reciever, &c., then shouldn't the barrel only be 24mm shorter on the Type 89, not 44mm? Odds are that the stock is not as long, but I find it incredibly hard to believe that the reciever would be longer on the Type 89 than on the AR-18.

I think that somewhere along the line, Tokyo Marui got its numbers wrong. Probably on the AR-18. If I get a chance, I'll try to take some rough measurements of my father's AR-180 and see if I can get some side-by-side shots of the Type 89 AEG alongside the AR-180 (and a ruler, of course).

EDIT2:

Illustrating how size of the Type 89 alongside various other AEGs (my roommate's SG552 and M15A2, and my CA36Kv):

sizecomp_type89_sg552_m15a2taccarb_.jpg

Edited by Jagdraben