Would this work?

darkchild130

I'm thinking about buying some gAyCU trousers and shirt, because i like the build style (pockets on arms/calfs, velcro cuffs/pockets etc) and the digital concept.

Do you think that dying some ACUs with a small amount of olive green would get rid of the hideous blueish hue whilst still retaining the digital aspect?

Or am i talking ######?

Darkchild

The fabric to my knowledge is colour fast, so they may fade but its unlikely the colours will run into each other.

You could try it, it may work, if it does it could have a interesting end result. I don't know if its what you want but the Spec4ce from Hyperstealth is relitivly cheap for a full set up and this is some of the best camouflage around IMO.

i was looking at buying the cap, shirt and trousers from flecktarn.co.uk, they're pretty cheap. Just as a tester, like.

edit: @Krazy L: I actually like ACUs but i want the annoying blueness to be removed so plain ones are not for me. I don't like MARPAT either, before anyone suggest that, i just want a slightly duller ACU pattern.

Darkchild

to answer everyones comments in nor particular order:

Yes i have seen real ACUs and they definately have a blue hue to them.

No i don't want MARPAT as i already said in my original posts.

And the digital DPM (which is sold out anyway) is made with the british pattern of combats (button up shirt instead of zip and velcro, no arm/calf pockets etc) so they would be worthless to me anyway.

I bought some dye today and will get the ACUs next month when i get paid. I figure that even colourfast combats will succumb to a concentrated dose of dye, even if only a small amount.

Either way, i will post the results when i'm done.

Darkchild

whats wrong with just leaving them ACU, its not that bad, before i used my bdus for woodland i threw my ACU helmet cover in a hedge in the garden, walked about 10-15m away and you could hardly see it, I used to think digital camo was ###### until i got some and used it myself,

The issued ACU colors depends on the manufacturer. Last time I went to the military clothing and sales store, I've seen at least 5 different brands of ACUs being sold. There was one particular ACU brand that had a very dark green to it. I think the brand was Belle Inc, or something along those lines. But I have never seen any issued ACUs have a blue look to it though.

ACUs only work well in the desert and urban environment. I don't think the Army plans on having a war in a woodland environment so they went with the ACU. But ACUs do work really well at night for being a rather light camo.

ACU works fine in a woodland environment. You can't expect to stand out in the open and not have people see you. Try hiding behind some foliage, and then tell me if you are seen by the enemy. I was doing a movement to contact excercise wearing BDUs and an ACU IBA, and I noticed the BDUs and their kevlar covers before I noticed their IBAs. They were actually using foliage to cover themselves. Its not a bad pattern. I have two different brands of ACUs(One issue, another purchased), both are of the same color, with minor differences in the actual uniform(both have IR tabs, but one is missing a velcro patch on the collar).

I wouldn't call it blue, its more of a greyish-green(thus foliage green).

There was one particular ACU brand that had a very dark green to it. I think the brand was Belle Inc, or something along those lines.

Bulle, I think (and by that I mean the name of the company, not my opinion on the subject :D ). That's the brand that Flecktarn stock.

I guess people really do see it in different ways, which could potentially be a problem for those of us who wear it. If some people see it as blue, they might spot us better.

Bulle, I think (and by that I mean the name of the company, not my opinion on the subject  :D ). That's the brand that Flecktarn stock.

Yeah thats it. If anyone want dark ACUs, those are the ones to get! I really wanted to buy a set because they were the best ones I have seen yet, but I realize I'll never find a helmet cover or name tapes that would match it.

EDIT: I just looked at the Bulle ACUs on Flecktarn. They look way darker in person! Plus, its now made according to mil specs unlike they one being sold on Flecktarn.

Archived