Are you a hugger or a smasher?

otherrandomhero

At my school every year before a football game (only one a year) we have a thing called a car smash where we get a junkyard car, paint it the other team's colors, and people can smash the hell out of it for charity. It's some amount of money per hit. Anyways, my english teacher brought this up and i asked if it said anything about bringing a chainsaw because if i'm paying $1 a hit i want to get my money's worth. Unfortunately i can't but what's next is the point of this thread. He said they should have a hug-athon instead of a car smash, where people volunteer to be hugged and people pay to hug them. Think about that for a few seconds while i bash my ears in with a pneumatic sledgehammer.

How is this the slightest bit related to football? Football is about hurting people, hitting people, and stealing people's property, not hugging, so i had to say something:

"Yes, we can do that. Then maybe i'll package my ba11s neatly in a purse and carry it around with me, would that work as well?"

owned

Anyways, would anyone else be a "hugger" where they would rather hug some random person for money (that's twice a year my school endorses legalized prostitution) than smash a car? Is my teacher a hippie, or do i take everything too far?

Hugs are free, Smashing is not. Then again if someone that's doing the hugging thing is way out of your league...who knows.

Saying the teacher is a hippie is going a little far...I'm sure that 90% of the female faculty probably would prefer the hug-athon. Yeah yeah, I'm stereotyping, but the other 10% that'd go for the smashing, probably teach PE and are more masculine than half the freshmen guys there I'll bet.

Anyways, on a side note we had pie throwing at the faculty for our fundraiser.

I don't see how your prostitution comparison comes into it either.

However, wouldn't the sensible option just be to have both events running and then people can take their pick? Personally I'd probably be up for smashing the car, but that's just me :D

Personally, I reckon the car smash thing is stupid. It causes aggression towards the other team and is, imho, likely to lead to more incidents of fighting between the teams. Pretty immature and stupid, I think.

The huggy thing is even more stupid though. I mean, I expect soccer thugs (and I presume US Football thugs) to do something violent...but hugging? Thats a bit...worrying.

Leave the damn cars alone and leave the hugging to the players in the after-match shower :o Just go along and watch the damn game!

I think the level of testosterone in this thread is wayyyy too high.

I also think some people are trying just a tiny bit too hard to act macho.

Says you, nancy-boy :P

"YEAHHHHHH, LETS GO KILL SOME STUFF!" appears to be a way of life for fans of violent sports (and dont tell me soccer isnt violent - the only thing scarier than the violence off the pitch is the violence ON the pitch!).

Tell ya what...make every budding US football or soccer player go and compete in pro-level Australian Rules football for a season. Thats the only sport I know of where if you return to the locker room with the same number of teeth you left it with, you're considered an under-achiever :lol:

Guzzihero, your first post made you seem like a wuss. Of course it causes aggression towards the other team and may cause fights, but that's the whole damn point of football. And to sledge: agreed that football is a rather homoerotic concept. You run around in tight pants tackling sweaty guys to the ground and trying to grab the biggest ball on the field. Glad it's not my favorite sport.

Hockey has the most potential to be violent though. When i played i set a record for most fights started (or at least attempted to start) in a single season. I think it was around 20 and this is when i was 9. At least once a game i would throw my stick on the ice, chase down some kid that piss3d me off, and ransack him, thus starting a fight. Either that or i'd clothesline someone so we'd get the puck. I feel relieved to say that i wasn't the only one, the entire league was like me but toned down. I'm not necessarily proud of this, but it's still a good time.

WTF?

I go to watch sports (motor racing generally) to see skilled sportsmen pitched against each other to show their abilities. I dont go to see someone get chinned in the carpark cos he looked at some geezer wrong.

If my belief that violence and sport should be seperated (apart from combat sports of course) makes me a wuss, thats cool. Because those that go to watch football/soccer/whatever to see violence ought to be in an institution wearing one of those lovely coats with the buckles at the back.

:P

WTF?

I go to watch sports (motor racing generally) to see skilled sportsmen pitched against each other to show their abilities.  I dont go to see someone get chinned in the carpark cos he looked at some geezer wrong.

If my belief that violence and sport should be seperated (apart from combat sports of course) makes me a wuss, thats cool.  Because those that go to watch football/soccer/whatever to see violence ought to be in an institution wearing one of those lovely coats with the buckles at the back.

:P

I also watch car racing, it's actually the only sport i will watch. I've raced go carts for several years now, and my dad races in the porsche club (was prez of the MN chapter last year). I plan to buy a 914 and race with him as soon as i'm 18.

I have never actually gone to any other sporting event besides the occasional football game when i played in the pep band.

Personally, I reckon the car smash thing is stupid. It causes aggression towards the other team and is, imho, likely to lead to more incidents of fighting between the teams. Pretty immature and stupid, I think.

Aggression towards the other team is a part of football. If i was to do the car smash, it would just be to smash up a car. I hate football. I can't control what other people do or think about smashing the car, but that's what i think. Sorry for calling you a wuss, i guess.

EDIT: forgot to respond to the "bust someones chin" thing. I never said that happens, nor would i ever approve of that. I hate actual fighting. Hitting a kid in full armor pads when you're 9 is different than busting some geezer's jaw in a parking lot.

Have the hugathon, but have your schools hottest girls, with tight tank tops on. I mean, they'd probably hug me for the hell of it, but if not, I'd pay for a hug (I guess...). Or have a hug then you smash the car when you think about how much better your life could be if you got that girl under your spell.

^^

That idea....MONEY IN THE BANK

I already get free hugs, but I'm not sharing my secret (hint: Special Olympics)

My HS would have the car smash, a huge *albatross* bonfire (think 50 skids/pallets stacked up in a big pile, add gasoline, and painted up preps). Our 'arch rivals' (the town 7 miles north of us) would march effigies of our mascot through town and mutilate them. I think some other stuff was going on too, but I don't know. I was too busy having a life outside of HS football.

Like sex.

American Football is all about grappling with big sweaty men wearing weird clothes. Sounds like the hugathon would be far more in touch with the needs of your target audience.

:zorro:

:lol: QFT.

Personally, I think paying people to hug you would be better. Hell, I could hug anybody, it's just the getting a hug thing that's hard sometimes. :mellow:

Archived