glasses and goggles

psycho

Have you tried using contacts?? I find there much better for me bbut i havn't skirmshed in glasses buti use contacts every day

Contacts is the easiest Solution to the problem however some people dont like putting plastic in their eyes =\ I love my contacts and I have been praising the contact gods for allowing me to like them. However I believe ESS makes goggles with inserts for glasses lenses. If all else fails get the ESS Turbofans to prevent fogging.

Are you looking to maintain a full seal? If not There are many shooting glasses that can come with prescription inserts. I own Oakley M-Frames that have the prescription built into the lens, here is a pic:

94357241-M.jpg

If you want full seal, as stated before many of the ESS goggles have prescription inserts you can buy and all you need to do is take them to your local eye doctor and ask him to place your prescription into them. I have also seen some sites that will order and install the prescription for you like they do HERE

I hope this helps

Re the post about chemistry goggles...

Ensure ANY pair of glasses or goggles you buy carries an EN-166 or equivalent ballistics rating.

---

EN166F rating is tested to withstand a 6mm diameter, .86g ball at 45m/s. Or .87 Joules

EN166B rating is tested to withstand a 6mm diameter, .86g ball at 120m/s. Or 6.2 Joules

EN166A rating is tested to withstand a 6mm diameter, .86g ball at 190m/s. Or 15.5 Joules

If youre lucky enough to have a set of EN166S strength glasses...they will probably survive longer than you will

If the specification is -, eg -F, -B, -A...then that is the frame strength. So with my old pair of specs, they had a B lens, but a -F frame. Not really guaranteed safe for airsoft. The data sheet says that if the lens and frame are different specs, then the lower of the two must be considered as the overall unit strength.

Now I know there will be some redundancy in there, especially with such a large gap between the Joule ratings. But those are what the glasses are guaranteed to stand. A lot of airsofters are relatively poor (because of airsoft!) and Im sure there are a lot on sites with £5 pairs of F, -F glasses that may or may not do the job against powerful guns.

---

Caution: I am not a ballistics expert. I know only what I have learned from the EN-166 data sheets and talking to 2 H&S persons. I cannot be responsible for injuries or otherwise resulting from use of this information.

*plink*

*twonk*

*splintering plastic sound*

MY EYES! MY EYES!! Aeeiiiiiiiiii

They don't do airsoft in braille

A lot of these cheapy DIY goggles aren't up for the task, please don't risk your eye sight to save a bit of money.

A lot of these cheapy DIY goggles aren't up for the task, please don't risk your eye sight to save a bit of money.

The more you spend on goggles, the less you have to spend on medical bills for your eyes. I know of a guy whose little brother found his airsoft guns, accidentally shot himself in the eye and has to wear a protective patch and "not put any stress or strain" on his eye (basically not use it) for two years and he MIGHT be able to still see out of it. I know accidentally shooting yourself in the eye is different then not having decent protective eyewear but in the words of Larry King on SNL "In my opinion, seeing is good."

A mate of mine has the same glasses and has tested them with high fps snipers and AEGs. So I'm comfortable with using them, but you are right different brands could mean different strengths so you have to be careful.

You do realise that by testing them you do infact weaken them - It might not be (very) visible but every hit slowly weaks the plastic - it's just how well it's built that will dictate how much punishment it can take.

A naff pair of goggles might stand up to a 600 fps round bouncing off it but you can never be 100% certain that it'll stop the next one or the one after that etc.

At least buy two pairs of the naff goggles: one for testing and one for play. But then, really is spending over £10 on a pair of decent goggles too much to protect your eyes?

Damn I sound like an old granny :P

What you are saying does make sense and is a very sensible point.

Neither of us have used the ones that were tested. The reason I don't go and spend more is because goggles get lost, sat on and dropped. These glasses also give me very good peripheral vision because they are essentially completely see through on all sides.

Archived