defending territory

volkfaust60@hotmail.com

ffs, it was an innocent comment, gr has exploded about it, and beleave what you like, tbh, i was refering to GR and his in thread love of machine gunning, emplaced gunning, LIKE with a mg42 over the normandy beaches, and id have mentioned the german helmet if i could have remebered its name at the time, so jackboots had to do,

jackboots are also associated with lesbian feminists, did i call you that? :P

and the afrika corps, and most of the german solders wernt nazis, just german soldiers... actually (has done her history)

anyway, this is stupid, and melodramatic, and i dont care if you think i called him a nazi, because it wasnt inteneded.

ghost, becuase i dont always use smileys, does not mean im attacking you, i have better things to waste my time on... ;)

Arnies memorandum:

no mentioning:

gas

jews

world domination

mustaches

panzers

or the fallen maddona with the big boobies....:P

all may cause a user to belivbe they are being called a member of a faccist party

good day

ffs, it was an innocent comment, gr has exploded about it, 

Well, no. I interpreted it as a personal attack. I ran it by the mod team as a whole, they agreed it breached the forum rules, wether you intended it to or not.

Just like any other user, you got warning points for breaking the rules - hardly exploded.

anyway, this is stupid, and melodramatic, and i dont care if you think i called him a nazi, because it wasnt inteneded.

Apology accepted.

ghost, becuase i dont always use smileys, does not mean im attacking you, i have better things to waste my time on...

Really? I'll point you at the following section of the forum rules that you agreed to abide by when signing up.

Use 'Smileys' effectively

'Smileys' can be used in your forum posts. If you are joking about something, use them to help indicate that your statement was made humorously. They can be used to indicate your mood and show that something was not meant to be taken seriously. If you don't use them, people will assume you are being serious. Arguments have broken out before because of a misunderstood joke.

If you don't use them, it's very hard for people to interpret your tone and mood. Please do bear this in mind in future and hopefully we can avoid future unpleasantness with your words being misinterpreted. ;)

Regardless, now that's all sorted out, we return you to your scheduled thread.

BACK ON TOPIC!

As with any effective tactic, the buddy system and good comms works a treat.

Having a buddy with you will always ensure that there's someone there to cover your butt when you're reloading, or to keep an eye out for anything unusual whilst you've got tunnel vision engaging your opposition. Furthermore, it means that you can put down fire on a position and call for reinforcements simultaneously - very difficult to do whilst you're on your own.

Communications-wise, you need to be able to set up a network so that all the sentries are within easy access of each other, and with a team leader (preferably buddied with a spotter in a good observation point) in hard cover, out of the way of the fighting. When contact is called, the team leader can re-allocate his resources accordingly thus ensuring that the defense isn't outflanked or collapsed on one side. It's also prudent to have your team report in on a regular basis with sit-reps and observations of enemy movement.

Finally, with regards to ambushes: You must make sure that the opponents' escape routes are cut off before executing an ambush. Unlike real life, your rounds can't penetrate through a body or even soft cover (like branches, foliage, etc...) thus making it even harder for you to neutralise a patrol/convoy in one fell swoop. It makes sense, therefore, to have a contingency plan, and should your opponents be able to fight their way out of/through your initial attack, make sure there is nowhere nearby for them to regroup (and if there is, make sure it's easily flankable or booby-trapped). Knowing your terrain well is essential in this case.

I think the best tactics are cover all the attackers available options. 2 men to each route and the rest with the objective. Once contact has been reached on one or two sides. then the rest can fall in and help. Maybe a pincer movement can be achieved if all the enemy fire is coming from one direction, but in my experience when a team is assaulting they tend to split into two fireteams and assault from two different directions.

So:

- Start off further out than the place you are defending, behind cover.

- Use interlocking fields of fire.

- Be prepared to fall back on the next position, using fire and movement

- Place long range weapons at the second barricade to reach the attackers when the first one falls, covering the defenders withdrawl.

-Keep up comms. Let others know when you're reloading.

-Try to use cover in different ways. Don't keep popping your head up in the same place.

-Try to have one last defender well hidden somewhere in games that are based around time limits, to drag your defence out longer.

And most of all:

- Don't worry about losing. In airsoft a lot of defence games are based around the opposition having more players, or the defenders having one life etc. The defence is bound to fall at some stage, if not the marshalls will probably make you fall back.

I have some experience with static defense. In my case, the real estate in question is a hill top with minimal preexisting cover. We were surrounded by hostiles who had an obvious numerical advantage.

And yet, ten of us held off multiple attempts to take the hill. We were only overran when we ran out of ammunition.

How?

Geography - Height offers advantages. Being on a hill top, we had commanding field of fire over nearly the entire site. However, we were also vulnerable to attack as hostiles could come up from any direction.

Cover - There were a few preexisting foxholes on that hill top. We placed our two SAW gunners inside them. Each of the gunners had an "assistant" who was put in place to provide backup. The rest of us hunkered down behind whatever improvised cover we had - piles of logs, boards propped up against trees, etc.

Crowd Control - Because we were open to attack from all directions and were short on manpower, we needed to funnel attacking hostiles into manageable packets. We did this by planting a number of claymores (all of which were placed in obvious spots to visually deter attacks) in undefensible places. Instead of suffering attacks from all directions, we needed to only worry about a road and one slope. Hostiles would have to either move up the road under fire from two M249s or scramble up the slope against rifle fire.

Fields of Fire - The two M249s overlapped each other with their fields of fire. The rest of the team all had a view of the entire hostile approach route. The idea was if one of us had to reload, it wouldn't leave a blind spot in our defense.

Firepower - As mentioned before, we had the advantage of having two SAWs, a number of mines, and enough ammunition to sustain our weapons. That was a good amount of firepower. We applied that firepower in fully-automatic mode on masses of clumped hostiles. Results were impressive. We beat back four assaults of roughly 30 hostiles each and suffered only a few losses of our own.

Exit - We always had an exit strategy ready and one exit open. When ammunition ran low and the hill had to be abandoned, we put the plan into action. We left one of our SAW gunners as the sacrifice to hold off hostile long enough for the rest of the team to slip away. Our man was quickly gunned down and the hostiles owned the hill. We never made it off the hill. We scattered as we left the hill. Half the men were shot in the back as they ran and the other half were captured.

Easy. Don't defend places. Land is only good for making a killing from.

Ground on which you will survive only if you fight with all your might, but will perish if you fail to do so, is terrain with no way out; take the battle to the enemy.

Go offensive. If you fail in battle against them further out, fall back, re-group, attack them again. Force them onto the defensive. Don't let them force you to fight defensively. Keep them reacting to you. Cover your retreats with pre-planned ambushes and traps; if the enemy breaks and flees, pursue him and destroy him.

For me, you need the three B's.

Barricade.

Box mag.

Bipod.

Job done.

But you left "BB's" off the list. :P

And batteries........how about Burberry!

People have pointed out, a plan. A systematic arrangement of defense & a good team bond means every defender can cover his arc and not worry about watching his six when he should be looking forward.

As usual I'll says EFFECTIVE COMMUNICATIONS by what ever method suits. Have people spot for targets. If you force & defended area is big enough consider putting out sentries for early warning. A communications cord or noisy booby trap can do the same job.

Site any support weapons available in mutually supporting positions covering the most likely route of assault,preferably with an enfilidating angle on the attackers (i.e. not straight on to them).

Again if numbers allow keep a small group as a reserve to reinforce any weak points that develop.

Defensive games are usually in a small area so having one squared away player who can keep an overview and direct the rest of the team with out getting sucked into the fight is genuinely useful.

Best defence is a good attack, station a small team outside the area that is to be defended, or better still hide a sniper close to their respawn point (annoying but funny) :D Marshals tend to miss the guy that goes for the 1/2 miles run around the site to avoid detection ;)

Trip mines, remote detonated maroons (set up a few at the start of the day while people are unloading cars etc ;) saves time later)

Big (proper big) smoke grenades so they can see the position they are meant to be attacking ;)

Failing that fixing bayonets and charging :wide-eyed:

You shouldn't defend out windows or from the roof. You should cover up the windows (all of them), make it as dark as possible inside, and barricade all the entrances. Use the 'fatal funnel' to maximum effect and use it as often as possible. Fall back from one level to the next, re-fortifying, re-arming, and re-grouping as you go. Maybe set up two different groups to fortify one level, fall back two levels, re-group, re-load, while the second group is holding off the enemy. Then the second group fall back two levels, re-groups, re-loads, and the first group holds off the enemy, &c.

Those who excel at defense bury themselves away below the lowest depths of Earth. Those who excel at offense move from above the greatest heights of Heaven. Thus they are able to preserve themselves and attain complete victory.

Archived