WA SWAT Custom II

IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

Box:

Came in a Magna styled brown box....different from the good ol' black with white lettered scw1/2 boxes

Built:

Nice deep engraving, zero rattle, no seam lines.

Performance:

Recoil spring is too weak, relatively low FPS

Hop up:

Fixed, but perfect for .25s

Pros:

WA quality 1911....what else is there?

Cons: Weak recoil spring, lack of trigger adjustment key.

More info/pics later, questions are welcome.

Edited by r.ocelot

If you don't mind, I'd like to add to this.

PICT0019.jpg

I've had my Kimber for just about a year now, and I must say that it's a solid piece of kit. It's my primary secondary (oxymoron, I know, but I have three secondaries to choose from) simply due to the fact that it's more accurate than the other two. It's very solid (I've actually dropped mine once, and it worked perfectly afterwards), and I find that it's easy to target with.

PICT0017.jpg

The fact that the recoil isn't as strong as my Infinity leaves a bit of disappointment, but that's because mine is stock. Install the right bits and I'm sure it'll have good kick.

PICT0021.jpg

As for FPS, it fires about ~280FPS stock, so while not impressive, it's certainly within the norm. I think you may have just gotten a lemon there, ocelot. The 21 round doublestacker magazine is nice and compact (the size of the old singlestackers). The only real problem I face is that I only have one magazine. Otherwise, it's quite possibly the best handgun I've owned.

PICT0016.jpg

Edited by viper2681
As far as I know, all Kimbers are SCW3.  I believe that eHobby is advertising 340FPS with green gas.  But even with 134a, I was leaving stinging welts on guys that're used to pain.

Well, the WA Kimbers started with the magna aftermarket stuff, then the official WA Kimbers came out as SCW2. Since you said you got it a year ago, I'm assuming that it's the first run of the SWAT Custom IIs

I assume from the figures you quote that you're running duster gas in this beauty?

Try filling the mag with green and cracking off a few rounds, I promise you won't be dissapointed, one of the most satisfying blowback's IMO only beaten by going full auto on a souped up 93r.

What I would suggest, run her on green and be extatically happy every time you fire her, then after a few thousand rounds, if the slide notch has worn away or the slide has cracked (This does not happen as often as people make out) then get an SD kimber alu slide for 110 dollars.. then you will be able to reliably use propane til the cows come home :D

cheers.

Actually, I've just looked it up, and according to my invoice, it's SCW1.  Anyway, yes you're right, I bought mine about a week and a half after the Kimbers were released.

You sure? I have an SCW1 Meusoc 1911 (its about 2+ years old I think) and if there had been Kimbers out then I would have gotten one instead ;)

At the time there were pretty much only a handful of SCW guns :), mostly Infinities and some newer 1911s.

On the other hand, I got a Kimber TLE/RL II just after they came out and it is definitely SCW2.

I think the Magnatechs are SCW3, and the rest SCW2...

Anyway them all looks good and shoots nice :P

look at the hammer, if it only has one hole in it for the hammer strut, and nothing else, its SCW1, if it has 2 holes, one for the stru, and one for the fire pin, then its SCW2 or 3, then the shape of the fire pin will determin whether its 2 or 3, sorry for the kinda off topic lol

I assume from the figures you quote that you're running duster gas in this beauty?

Try filling the mag with green and cracking off a few rounds, I promise you won't be dissapointed, one of the most satisfying blowback's IMO only beaten by going full auto on a souped up 93r.

What I would suggest, run her on green and be extatically happy every time you fire her, then after a few thousand rounds, if the slide notch has worn away or the slide has cracked (This does not happen as often as people make out) then get an SD kimber alu slide for 110 dollars.. then you will be able to reliably use propane til the cows come home :D

cheers.

No worries, HBC, this ain't my first WA....should be my 13th/14th now....

I guess I'm just a little spoiled by the SVIs and the 10mm Delta....

No worries, HBC, this ain't my first WA....should be my 13th/14th now....

I guess I'm just a little spoiled by the SVIs and the 10mm Delta....

no worries indeed, I figured you were a coniseur of WA's, my advice was actually pointed at Viper when he was stating his WA's recoil was a big sluggish and fps around 280.. he really needs to get some green gas through that thing ;)

Full Review:

Kimber LAPD SWAT Custom II- Western Arms

In RS, I believe that it was the issue for LAPD SWAT members.

DSC00003.jpg

This is the SCW3 version of the original SCW2 pistol, and it can be considered to be a limited edition (as are all WAs).

In the Box

The SCW3 guns arrived in a magna styled brown box, with black SCW lettering on the cover, similar to the original SCW boxes.

DSC00004.jpg

It came with a small bag of BBs, the instruction manual, and the bushing wrench.

First Impressions

This was about as heavy as an SVI 4.3, which featured a full metal upper frame. It's very well made, with minimal rattling when shaken.

DSC00005.jpg

The finish is very even, and I cannot seem to scratch it off with my fingernails. The frame and slide are made from heavyweight ABS, with an inner frame made from metal. The grips are made from one solid chunk of metal, which is then coated with rubber.

DSC00006.jpg

Metal parts includes the sights, outer barrel, external controls, main spring housing, inner barrel, and 90% of the internals.

Closer Look

First things first, the magazine. It came with a brushed finish, and is made from metal. I would have prefered the bumpered version, as it was easier for me to fill (Keeps the duster straw straight). It holds 21 rounds, and is double stacked. The BB follower is a seperate part from the slide lock nub, and can fly off (it's spring loaded) if you remove the follower in a rush.

DSC00007.jpg

The inner barrel moves within the outer barrel, and as you can see, it moves forward when the slide is blowing back.

DSC00008.jpg

The left side of the slide is marked "Kimber" (not the fake late scw2 "kinber"), and the right side is marked "LAPD SWAT Custom II"

DSC00009.jpg

The right side of the frame is marked "Kimber. Yonkers. NY U.S.A.", and underneath: "KLA114154".

There were no WA trades, just ASGK to the left of the right side grips.

DSC00011.jpg

The sights are Kimber Low-Profiles, and they all have white dots on them.

The grips are very confortable to use, and add a great deal of weight to the gun.

The front strap features a very fine checkering, while the mainspring housing features a more prominent one. The trigger has three holes, with 7 ridges and an OVERtravel adjustment screw.

The hammer is of the skeleton type, and has a nickle plated finish to it.

Shooting impressions

DSC00012.jpg

Following Snowman's 5m/6 round test, the SWAT Custom has proven to be quite accurate.

Can't really tell you what the Best grouping is, considering all the shots landed in the SAME FREAKIN HOLE (the one on the left was a range shot)! The diameter of that one hole was 8 mms.... I was using .20s, which explains why the shots landed above the point of aim.

As for power, I realized that I was using the weaker kind of duster gas, so when I switched to the regular kind, blowback was much stronger (still not SVI leveled), and the FPS were around the range of a normal SCW1911, if not higher.

Trigger pull is medium, but it is adjustable to your own tastes.

I was able to shoot off about 45 rounds off one fill of 134a.

Takedown

Same as real steel...If you want a guide, Catman's your man. His guide helped me install my first metal kit to my WAs.

Conclusion

It's a WA, there ain't nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned.

Note to Snowman:

I'm sorry for stealing your review's format, if you wish, I can get a mod to delete this post and rewrite it....

great review!

i just ordered the same gun from ehobbyasia(its gonna be my first western arms) although im not sure if i am getting a scw3 or scw2 because the auction title saids scw3 but the description saids scw2.

anyways i am planning on upgrading the metal slide. anyone know a site that sells just the metal slide for this model? i was able to find the slide with the frame from major overseas retailer but not the slide alone.