Building an HK53...

Crazy_Harry

ok, I've decided that I need a new aeg sometime in the next month or so. None of the AEGs really interest me that much as they are, so I thought I'd have a crack at building something a bit funky and custom.

now, I was looking for something in a carbine flavour, with 5.56 mags so I don't have to buy a tonne of new pouches to fit the mags.

I've always liked the g3 range, but found them too blocky, whereas the mp5 lacks the meatiness that I want for a woodland assault rifle.

The CA33 is nearly what I'm after, but its a little long, and I reckon a folding stock on it might look a little daft...

So, I think to myself, hows about a HK53? it suits the job rather nicely, is a lot sleeker looking than the mc51, and doesn't have that horrible curving inwards folding stock the g3s use.

So, here's the dilemma- how easy would one of these things be to build? I'm guessing an mp5a3 as a base, and then just stick on a ca33 metal body. Is there more to it that this? surely it can't be that easy...

after I've got the basics together, I'll stick a lhk51 outer barrel on, and maybe a sidefolding UMP style stock, but for now, my major problem is whether the ca33 metal body will just fit straight onto an mp5 base, or are there more adaptions that need to be made?

cheers all!

sounds interesting, You would be using ca33 mags? nothing else would fit.

EDIT lol just looked at a hk53. Here is link http://www.hkpro.com/hk53.htm

It still looks a little short to me. I think the hand gaurd needs to be 2-3 inches longer to give it that full look.

All you would need to do is put an MP5 barrel/handgaurd/cocking tube/sliding stock on a CA33 body to get that look right?

Catchv22 is right the MP5 sliding stocks are the wrong shape to fit on the CA33 metal body, you would either need to alter them down to fit (as done in the pic you showed) or use the sliding stock from a G3.

I did build a HK53 but i went with the older G3 style folding stock, just cutting the front set of attachment holes (on the stock) off so that it slid onto the CA33 body. That way the G3 sliding stock fits with no problem whereas the MP5 does need work...

Phoenix is right the cocking tube from an MC51 will bolt straight on, where as the MP5 one needs modifying. The CA33 metal body is design to fit MC51/G3 parts (front especially) not MP5 parts without them being altered.

I wondered about that...

the CA33 looks like it SHOULD be compatible with mp5s, simply because it looks to use a one pin system for the stock and uses the mp5 SEF lower receiver.

but if it can only use the mp5 folding stock with modification, as well as the front end, it'd probably be best for me to build it using an mc51 as the base, and get a CA33 body and MP5 SEF lower receiver...

ah well, nothing in airsoft is all that simple, I suppose... :)

The parts which will fit onto a CA33 receiver with no custom work at all (ie. just bolt straight on) are...The MC51 cocking tube, mp5 foregrip, any MP5 lower receiver (both navy and SEF)

The G3 sliding stock is probably the easiest to modifiy, from what i noted when i tried both stocks.

I'd base it around a CA33 to start with, that way you get the solid stock if you want it later (for large batteries) and the MP5 style lower comes fitted, all you need to do is unscrew the front, and bolt on the MC51 style one (which you can get seperate as a Classic army metal one)

The sliding stock is easy to convert from a G3 one, as said all you need to do is trim it off from the middel of the two holes, forward.

Didn't take me long to put my HK53 together, about 2 hrs roughly.

cheers for that matt- so, two more questions (now revolving around the CA33...)

1) if the mp5 sliding stock an't gonna fit the ca33 metal body without serious work, does this go for the mp5 full stock as well? I ask because the look I'm going for is, essentially, a meatier mp5, NOT a shrunk-down g3 (whats the difference, I hear you ask? well, i'll tell you...)

basically, I'm not a fan of the g3 fullstock on anything other than a fullsize g3, and the g3 sliding stocks just look wrong, to my eyes...hence me wanting to build it using an mp5 as a base.

Ultimately, I was after sticking either an mp5 sliding or full stock onto it (depending on how many batteries I felt like chewing through), or an mp5 UMP stock.

This ain't too much of a problem if the ca33 will take a g3 UMP stock, as there isn't much difference in the size between g3 and mp5, but it is if I want to use a full stock in the future...

2) I take it you own a ca33 from which you built this project? Is the ca33 foregrip able to accomodate a small battery, or is there not enough room?

Mostly I ask cos this will be an ongoing project, that I intend to build on gradually, and if I got the ca33 as a start base, I' probably want to convert it to a ca33 with an UMP folding stock, just for that nice tactical look :)

so yes, can a ca33 foregrip take a small battery?

thanks once more for all your help!

I did own a CA33 which used to make the HK53, but i have since sold it on. The CA33 as it is should be able to take quite a few different batteries, as the CA33 grip is only slightly smaller than the G3A4 one. I think it can take both mini batteries and SD types.

If you convert to a HK53, ie. you use a MC51 style front them you are limited to using small batteries or this type which used... http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...5c9d56055945d58

Regarding the stocks, if you don't want to use the solid stock that comes with the CA33 (ie. it would look like this http://dboy.cpgl.net/H&K/hk53/acog-hk.jpg )

Then i'm pretty sure the MP5 solid stock can be modded to fit, without to much effort, the main problem is the parts which slide into where the rails on the sliding stock retract, as the solid stock is made of plastic, I doubt that it would be too hard to sand it down to fit.

If you go with the UMP style stock, i suspect that both could be made to fit just as easily. The G3 one would need one set of holes removing, the MP5 one would need sanding around the edges to fit, but as the rear part on both is plastic i doubt again it would be to much work.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any other help.

• 10 months later...
I did own a CA33 which used to make the HK53, but i have since sold it on. The CA33 as it is should be able to take quite a few different batteries, as the CA33 grip is only slightly smaller than the G3A4 one. I think it can take both mini batteries and SD types.

If you convert to a HK53, ie. you use a MC51 style front them you are limited to using small batteries or this type which used... http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...5c9d56055945d58

Regarding the stocks, if you don't want to use the solid stock that comes with the CA33 (ie. it would look like this http://dboy.cpgl.net/H&K/hk53/acog-hk.jpg )

Then i'm pretty sure the MP5 solid stock can be modded to fit, without to much effort, the main problem is the parts which slide into where the rails on the sliding stock retract, as the solid stock is made of plastic, I doubt that it would be too hard to sand it down to fit.

If you go with the UMP style stock, i suspect that both could be made to fit just as easily. The G3 one would need one set of holes removing, the MP5 one would need sanding around the edges to fit, but as the rear part on both is plastic i doubt again it would be to much work.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any other help.

Do you have any pictures of your conversion?

Would you be intrested in doing one for me (For a price of course)?

• 2 weeks later...

DAMNATION!

I wish you guys had started this thread before I sold my CA33 at a real mark-down. :(

You might also be interested in looking at this custom HK53 project.

and at this old thread from ASCUK self-build HK53.

I also came across a site ages ago that showed with step-by-step actual construction photos of how to convert a G3 (or was it an MP5?) to an HK G41 and an HK 53. I'll look that one up at home and pop it on here too.

Oh how I wish I'd kept that CA33 now..... :(

I also came across a site ages ago that showed with step-by-step actual construction photos of how to convert a G3 (or was it an MP5?) to an HK G41 and an HK 53.  I'll look that one up at home and pop it on here too.

Well - it was Gunworx, but they've shut down and those pages of content are no longer around. Shame.

Sounds like a cool project. Would it be posible to fit a CA33 reciver to a ICS MP5?

I assume you mean fitting a CA33E receiver to MP5 bits at the back and front? I understand that CA33+MP5 front-ends are a fairly easy and common conversion in the Far East and the US. But if you want a sliding stock, you have to use a G3/MC51 assembly - the MP5 receiver is too narrow.

Bear in mind that the CA33 has a working cocking handle which pushes back a fake bolt to reveal the hop-up.

Some people have said you'd be better off using an MC51 cocking tube to work with the fake bolt.

Not sure myself. I would've thought the MP5 cocking handle could be made to push the fake bolt back if it's similar to how things work in a G3.

If you do the conversion with an MP5 cocking tube, which means it slips straight on more or less, you can still get it to work the ejection port by moving the handle, it did on mine anyway.

You just have to trim the plastic rod part (from the ca33) which moves inside the cocking tube and pushes back on the ejection port cover. It's not that difficult.

Archived