Stark Arms Glock 17 GBB

Squad 701

With the exception of the slide and barrel, which parts do you feel are superior in quality to the Glock 19 ? :o

So you disagree with the points I listed above for Glock 19 vs. Glock 17 ? :o

I don't see how "everything" can be better on the Glcok 17, doesn't make sense from my experience.

I don't disagree with the points noted by yourself.

Please note: The comments below are all IMO and everyone is entitled to their own option.

It is difficult to compare them both fairly as for a start they are completely different models and would be easier to compare manufacturers all day long, even the RS will vary between G17s vs G19s, but I shall add my comments below of my finding of the Stark Arms models recently.

Yes the slide and barrel on the G17 CNC looks and feels far more superior IMO than the barrel found on the G19 variant, which you obviously agree with Non-Ex judging by your quoted comment above?

The weight of the G17 is a tad heavier than the G19 and I personally prefer a weightier pistol, so I am already in favour and admit it suits it very well. G19 - 620grams VS G17 - 780grams.

Slides:

Comparing both slides - the finish/ colour and textures are I'd say identical so no winner there, but the small extractor located on the side of the slide is quite different in colour but both identical pieces. The G17's extractor is more a Golden Black in colour, where as the G19 is a heavier black (almost the same colour and finish tp the slide).

The engravings although similar are slightly different I have to admit. The G19s being a tad deeper and a different but similar Font, which I'm not sure what I prefer, probably the G17's as they look most authentic especially with the CNC'ed chamber directly above. Both are great though however!

Barrels:

The barrels are worlds apart IMO.

G17 Barrel - Cut and CNC engraved, finished with what looks like bluing. Top Eject Port when looking closely has machine swirl markings which I flavour appose to being just coated and hidden like the G19 is (which I mention directly below). The barrel on the G17 all the way to the tip has a beautiful machined finished to it too which I just love!

G19 Barrel - Cut and CNC engraved, finished with a very textured matt coating (different to slide) which although clears being in contact during recoil but I can imagine it will scratch easily and after only 20 shots it has marked a little on the front where it comes in contact with the slide before submerging.

The guild rod on the recoil spring assembly are both made from plastic but do vary from one another in textures. When looking at the front ends of the G17 & G19 the rod ends protruding slightly from the slide look different. The texture of the plastic on the G19 is more grainy to the G17, where as on close inspection the G17s guild rod actually looks metal, which in fact caught me out.

Firstly the Magazines - Filling with GAS:

G17 - When refilling the gas and sliding the base plate back on the top of the mag, the refill hole is free from any obstruction however....

G19 - when pulling back the base plate the plate obstructs the fill hole but I must mention both plates are identical and generic so the hole on the actual mag is located in a different plate causing the plate on the G19 mag to get in the way, preventing you to fill the mag with gas. As a result you have to pull back the plate passed its home position in order to get the gas nozzle into the filling hole.

Magazine gap:

G17- When the magazine is inserted into the grip the mag base plate fits flush up against the bottom of the grip with no gap.

G19 - When the magazine is inserted into the grip the mag base plate has a 2mm gap between it and the bottom of the grip.

There's not much left on the gun which is different, all pins, safety, catches, sights are all the same part except the frame.

Secondly the Frame:

These are the most noticeable differences when inspecting both guns side by side, apart from being actually different and models. The materials used on both seem to be identical but the embossed trade markings differ.

The  wording and digits in the markings are the same however the way they are presented vary.

The G17 - The trade markings found embossed under the slide 'MADE IN AUSTRIA' and at the base of the grip 'US.Pat.4.539.889' are recessed far more into the frame making them a deeper trade to the ones found on the G19.

Overall, both are superb pistols and hands down the best imitation pistols on the market today without a doubt!

Which do I prefer? It may come down to personal preference but I love them both for their own reasons. I just wonder why the G17 mag gap to frame was made so flush in the G17 if the G19 shows a 2mm gap which can be spotted on the RS.

Most importantly and annoyingly is the design fault with G19s magazine base plate obstructing the gas refill hole when the G17 doesn't have the issue. I could understand if they both had the same issue but for one and not the other seems a little odd.

If I could pick all the better things from both pistols and collate into one gun I would but is no real deal breaker. They are both superb pistols and for the money are exceptional and for an out the box gun, there is nothing else like it on the planet!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Magazine gap:

G17- When the magazine is inserted into the grip the mag base plate fits flush up against the bottom of the grip with no gap.

G19 - When the magazine is inserted into the grip the mag base plate has a 2mm gap between it and the bottom of the grip.

Sorry for the late reply. 

Unlike Glock17, the real Glock19 in fact has a gap between the grip and the mag base plate.

I believe SA is the first maker who recreated this gap.

Apparently the Gen1 mags have the hole so that you can refill the mags without pulling off the baseplate; and the Gen2s have no hole in the baseplate.

Whether there's a performance difference, I dunno; but the mags for both G19 and 17 that I got at WGC were Gen2s.

The ones that come with their stock of CNC G17s also had Gen2 mags.

I really want to buy either the g17 cnc version or the g19 after getting the vfc ppq which IMO rocks, but I had a stark arms g18 and it was horrible, it looked like and shot like , can anyone please confirm a difference in quality between  the g18 and the g17 or g19, thanks, or would the we gen 4 g17 be a better option.

• 3 months later...

Just got my SA G17 Match, and I took off my front sight to clean off the rest of the orange paint, and now it has problems going back in! Besides that, one thing I noticed is how "not smooth" the slide is, and it feels like it needs a stronger recoil spring. Anybody know where I can get one? Or to recommend one? factory spring and spring guide kind of sucks... And it feels like it just "sits" there, without anything putting it in it's proper place. My KSC USP spring guide has a dimple and a indent on the outer barrel to guide the spring guide. This doesn't... feels like it just sits inside and can be pushed out of place quite easily...

The stock front sight is held in by retention tabs, unless they broke when you removed it you should be able to squeeze it back in there. If not get an RS sight.

Slide action is sticky and has been observed on all Stark Glocks. It's "by design", don't think there is much to do about it. From what I can tell it is something in relation to the hammer/trigger mechanism when the slide rides over that part. During normal operation it is a non issue but if easing the slide forward it can stick. Just give it a tap at the rear and it will go into battery.

You can replace the recoil spring with a TM 1911 150% spring and it should make it a bit snappier. Remove the dual recoil spring setup and just use on pair of spring cups.

The lack of retention notch on the guide rod is not an issue, most RS guns do not have them. It is seated below the hop chamber and in the cut out in the frame and should not be a problem.

Not sure if TM styled spring guide rods work. RS are captured (glued) and spring is too stiff and they stick out 2+mm on the slide.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the CNC slided series discontinued now?

Have you tried KIC in Taiwan, go to Foreign Contact Info on the top right-hand side of their Website, and send Jessica a Email.

I'd probably recommend the CNC version over the forthcoming Premium Steel version, as they still seem to be using the same frame, so not perfectly aligned at the front, again nit-picking and not a serious concern, but it could be quite top heavy.

Archived