Hephaestus TAR 21 Pre-order right miao.

BioRage

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked to find mine is now through Customs and awaiting payment to Parcel Force so rang

up and paid - just £43.53 (from what I remember) - should arrive tomorrow.

Once I've put a few mags through I'll test chrono on green gas and 144a before working out if

I should try my spare GHK G5 1 joule nozzle or consider another 'NPAS'

I picked mine up from Parcelforce last night. £43.53 in customs charges too.

Gotta admit, I'm impressed. Not got a chrono at hand until after work today, but the gas efficiency seems very impressive (as expected from a G5 mech) - I emptied 2 mags on full auto with no stuttering, varying ROF or gassing out at 14 degrees Celcius. Chrono readings from Hephaestus claim the FPS is 380 @ 24 degrees with a .25. That's a bit hot for my tastes, so I've ordered an FG airsoft adjustable nozzle. I doubt a 1j G5 nozzle will suffice due to the much longer barrel and the way propane expands.

Trigger isn't as mushy as people claim, though it's very stiff. Feels like 10/12 lb pull. I also found the top rail to be very loose, though that's likely due to it being fully plastic (unlike the Ares metal one) and not being a good fit. I've ordered the 6mm Pro Shop/UFC aluminium SAR rail from Evike so I can replace that with something a little more solid.

11351285_389896501213830_910746263251761

I have the FG airsoft adjustable nozzle on my G5 - I thought it was just a standard nozzle with a screw at the end to reduce the exit gap - thought the 1 joule nozzle just had a smaller hole at the end.

It is, but I'm not convinced a simple 1j nozzle will be enough due to the barrel length and expanding gases. What does your G5 normally chrono at with the 1j nozzle?

As far as I can tell, the 1j nozzle is designed for the G5's barrel length of 200mm. The Tavor has a stupid barrel length of something over 400mm, and because of the way propane expands in the barrel, I'm worried that it won't be enough to bring the FPS down, especially during Summer. Not saying it won't work, but I think the adjustable nozzle is possibly the safer bet if like me, you play at sites with a 350fps limit.

1J nozzle brought the FPS on my AK down to 320

Ah, there may be hope! I've just checked online too, and many reckon the fps with the 1j will still be around 330 when the G5 has the 16" barrel kit installed, so it may work okay. Much cheaper than getting an adjustable nozzle!

Here's pictures of mine. Third and fourth photos show it along side my Ares AEG.

Ez3x0k0.jpg

qymmgj5.jpg

priWGuQ.jpg

PgAwBdW.jpg

I chrono'ed it on 0.20g. With green gas I was getting between 345 and 385 fps - I suspect this will rise as the hop beds in - would expect closer to 400. With 144a gas I was getting ~320-330 FPS, so hope that will stay below 350 and save me having to swap out the nozzle (having said that it's not hard to do once I go to clean it).

Samoon included a free bottle of silicon oil, but it's a good job I already have a suitable loader (as I have a GHK G5) as it did not come with a speed loader and adapter.

I also got the GHK valve removal tool - Samoon threw in a bag of the small valve rings.

Just a warning to anyone removing the nozzle. It's held in place by two guide pieces, which are in turn held in by roll pins, which are 'blind' (there's no way to push them out through a hole in the opposite side). Hephaestus' advice is simply to shake them loose, but as you can imagine, this doesn't always work.

If you end up in this situation, best advice I can give is to dunk your bolt carrier in a cup of almost-boiling water. It loosens the pin up enough so you can bang it free.

I also advise a 1j or FG adjustable nozzle. I chrono'd this afternoon indoors (about 24 degrees Celsius) using all 3 nozzles and got the following average fps readings:

Stock: 392

1j: 363

FG: 180 - 520

Obviously, your mileage may vary, and it's unlikely to reach 24 degrees at most UK sites, even in Summer.

Archived