Optics both with and without zoom

Beeingmyself

Hey guys

I'm getting ready for this summers skirmishes and wanted to hear your bids and beds for my litlle problem.

A red dot isn't always enough for me when we are playing in the woods

I have tried running anly a reddot but needs a little zoom.

I have had a scope with 3-9x40 which didn't really work for me due to I couldn't realy make quick precise shot

I have tried an APCompM2 with a magnifier with flip to side mount.

Worked okay but is quite heavy and a little bulky and the flip is not always that smooth

A am considering eighter an Elcan Spedter DR with fixed zoom and a mini red dot on top

or an ACOG 4x again with a mini red dot on top

OR some kind of telescopic sight ranging from 1x - ?x

but I have no idea of what is good and what to stay away from

Please advice?

It's airsoft, you don't need zoom.

I ran my tuned 500 fps L96 for a while with an aimpoint clone instead of a scope. Worked fine to around 80 metres. Lowest setting for the smallest dot, and zero properly.

Don't over-think it ;)

Yeah that Vison King that A1983 suggests is a good idea for this.

Any of the real or clone short dot style optics are pretty good to suiting your plan.

In Europe look at what Barska has.

All the Specter DR clones are at best non-functional.

I use an ACOG with a piggybacked mini red dot/Docter sight on my assaulter/direct action rifle. While I do use the red dot about 90% of the time, the ACOG is invaluable when on approach or making a very precise shot in MOUT.

I have a G&P ACOG on my recce rifle and have another waiting to be mounted to my Minimi. Having a magnified optic for bush work is very handy, hence my recce rifle setup. I tend to engage at more extreme ranges with an MG, making a magnified optic very valuable.

The SpecterDR is the objectively better optic. I use ACOGs because of the impression I'm aiming for.

Primary arms 3x? http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-3x-compact-prism-scope-with-the-patented-acss-556-reticle/p/pac3x-acss-5.56/

I have their RDS and its pretty good (so far)

I was having a think about this yesterday as it happens... on first glance an RDS seems best for airsoft just cause of the range BUT whilst you can make accurate snap shots with an RDS wind etc can put them off. A scope of about 3x would be ideal for seeing where bb's are falling at distance though. hmm...

Vision King short dot

This.

I've got one on my M14 Socom. And my SA58... And my G3. Amazingly clear sight picture. Great eye relief and you can run about with it on x2 all day just dialling it up to x5 every now and again to double check that dodgy looking branch is not in fact a sniper rifle :)

I love the Spectre DRs, and have 3 of them now. Mine are all fixed 4x zoom with a micro red dot on top.

This is the one I recommend: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Specter-DR-4X-Tactical-Airsoft-Hunting-Rifle-Scope-Sight-w-mini-red-dot-sight-with-standard/32491701529.html

They have an auto-brightness red dot, and the scope has an illuminated reticule (which suffers from horrendous light bleed on the first two, I've not even tried the third, and don't use it in any of them).

Easy to fix (quick release) and easy to zoom... not much else to say! I'll be getting an ACOG with an RMR next for one of my 416s, but only because I like a little variety (and I really only use the mirco red dot portion, so the scope itself doesn't matter much to me, it's really just an expensive riser).

One other thing. I have never run a (CR2032) battery down in one of these scopes (the scope portion has it's own battery) micro red dot. No idea why, but they seem to fair sip the juice.

I used to run a 4x ACOG with an RMR red dot on a 45º mount in my SCAR-H for a while, and while it worked fine, I found the whole thing very clunky and heavy.

I use now a 2x-5x short scope, but I'm also looking for an alternative. That VisionKing seems to be nice enough, although I'd prefer it to go down to 1x.

You cant go down to 1x on a long tubed sight the length of the tube messes with the sight picture.

"The minimum power setting was 1.1 due to the fact that the original flashdot was designed to be a 1.25 power – when you made it a 1 power it actually had a slight ‘ghost’ image (the inside of the tube at the objective end) when your eye got closer than normal for proper eye relief. 1.1 power made this go away with none to very little difference for up close reflex work. Also, it is worthy to note that the reticle is in the first focal plane, which means it grows in direct proportion to the target; in the real world this means you can mil dot at any power setting."

to quote Mr Vickers

http://www.vickerstactical.com/short-dot.html

for the full article

One other thing. I have never run a (CR2032) battery down in one of these scopes (the scope portion has it's own battery) micro red dot. No idea why, but they seem to fair sip the juice.

I have found that there are 2 different variants of Docter-style sights. The only visual difference between the variants is the number of ridges/steps on top of the sight body, located close to the mounting bolts behind the lens. Sights with 3-4 wide ridges on the body positively chew through batteries to the tune of 1 every day or two. Sights with 5-6 narrow ridges on the body will only drain their batteries after a year or more.

I only know this because I've owned 6 of these sights. 2 of them blew through batteries at an astonishing rate. That's when I noticed the slight differences in appearance.

That's really interesting!  I have 5 of them at the moment, so I went to have a look at them... The ones with 3 or 4 ridges also have a power switch at the back. The ones with 5-6 ridges have no power switch. 3 has no sensor to adjust the brightness, 4, 5 and 6 do.

People say, "All those ACM sights are *suitcase*", but really they're not. One would think they were all the same, all off the same production line, just with different trades and prices, but clearly that isn't the case.

That's really interesting!  I have 5 of them at the moment, so I went to have a look at them... The ones with 3 or 4 ridges also have a power switch at the back. The ones with 5-6 ridges have no power switch. 3 has no sensor to adjust the brightness, 4, 5 and 6 do.

The ones that I owned had no power switch, regardless of the number of ridges. Interesting.

People say, "All those ACM sights are *suitcase*"

To be fair, ACM ACOGs are pretty terrible. Hardly unusable, just not as clear as I'm accustomed to. I've since switched to G&P ACOGs and haven't looked back.

Archived