Sewing patches

sekiryu

And don't say hiring professional help <_<

I've got some patches that need sewing, but the problem is, I don't have a sewing machine, and hand sewing seems impossible because the damn thing won't stay still, and then when I reinsert the needle from the back side of the uniform, it ends up being way off from where it needs to be.

I can get access to a sewing machine....but it's buried in a storage facility...

dont use pins or anything, get some Iron Tape, place it under the patch then iron it and it will hold firmly in place for you to sew, as for re-inserting, slowley poke the needle through and use trial and error. the longer you do it the quicker it becomes.

do each corner first very heavy. then do the sides.

no dont, its likley it wont lay flat (unless you use the Iron Tape) your local haberdashery should stock it.

http://www.sewessential.co.uk/Category.asp?CategoryID=468

this is what your looking for.

makes patch sewing a piece of ######.

I've sewn quite a few patches in the brief time that I've been sewing patches.

1-Purchase thread, in either the main color of the patch or the patch border (assuming that you're doing the meatballs, here, so either gold or white).

2-Purchase needles (I assume you did this already)

3-Purchase pins or the afore mentioned irontape-thing

4-Have at it

And, as means of warning, do not iron a patch and leave it at that. It will fall off, you will lose it, and you will never see it ever again.

Use evo-stick.

Smear a blob of evo-stick (or any rubber solution glue, like from a bicycle puncture repair kit) on the patch and on your BDUs. Once it's tacky, stick the patch to the BDUs.

It'll be held securely in place and you can work around the edges with a needle and thread.

Make sure you use a rubber solution glue though. You want a glue that dries floppy. If you use superglue it'll dry as hard blobs.

Wonder how long it'll be before somebody arrives to whine about not using patches from real units etc? :unsure:

Make sure you use an over stitch. If you use a running stitch it won't be strong enough.

I always give my auntie my work clothes and uniform when i'm home, so she can sew my patches on :P

Archived