WTK: Deep Fire M72 LAW

AaronHorrocks

The grub screw that allows the thing to lock in and out is rubbish and all the tiny screws that hold the trigger mechanism housing strip when you undo them.

Exactly! That is why mine is sitting broken and not yet fixed. Been conversing with RedWolf and Deepfire about my displeasure at the flimsy design. Also agree about the rubber collapse button that someone mentioned earlier.

Other than that though, mine has worked well.

http://www.lonestarairsoft.com/index.php?c...p2_articleid=60

The review needs to be updated to capture that stupid set screw stripping out.

I cut a countersink into the other side of the inner tube and put a better screw in from the other side.

It works for now.

I am trying to find a way of tapping dents into the inside of the outer tube and attaching the trigger mechanism to the tube with low profile rivets.

I have had great success with a mini nerf howler and a CO2 madbull grenade.

I had to build sabots for it as the inner diameter (57mm) is slightly too big and trim the fins down as they are too big.

I had some success with foam covered in a cut up tea towel.

That grub screw thing...urghh mine got so badly damaged because it kept sliping and the whole tubing would go crashing down :( By the time I'd learnt; it was damaged beyond repair (me? slow? :P). I had to drill the hole bigger, retap it and then grind down a screw so it could fit down the track.

When I get my lathe I'll make a wooden rocket; when I'm happy with the design I'll make a mould of the rocket and then cast a foam version - it'll probably take some experimenting, when I get round to it I'll be sure to post the info up on the forum somewhere :D

It's working fine now but I can't skirmish with it because I got no means to carry it out into the field due to the naff sling.

Yeah, agree on how to mod the launcher, but I think it unreasonable that out of the box it is flawed in terms of skirmish-built reliability.

RedWolf had the following suggestions, which are on par with easy fixes and are achievable at home, although not very clean compared to designing it right to begin with. Personally, while I could do the mods, I don't believe I should have to, especially considering the price.

We have also found this issue and made Deep Fire aware of it. It should be fixed in later revisions of the LAW. At the moment we don't have an official fix for the problem, but our technician (who is familiar with the M72) came up with a couple of solutions you can try, whichever sounds better and is something you can do.

First, the bushing at the end of the inner tube is only attached by the same screw which has now failed on yours. If you rotate the bushing a bit, you get a new point to make a new hole and thread. The thread and hole position on the inner tube will remain the same, but it helps nevertheless. Now, after making a new hole and aligning them, you should make a couple of more attachment points for the bushing - or simply smear red Loctite between the mating surfaces to hold it in place. One of the reasons why the tiny screw failed in the first place, was that the bushing and inner tube were moving back and forth relative to each other. This trick should help for that.

If the problem remains, there's the option of moving up to an M4 screw. It will require a 3.3 mm drill bit and an M4 tap. If you have a steady hand, you can make one portion of the M4 screw thinner, so the slot doesn't even have to be enlarged. Please note that there are various M4 screws available on the market. Some of them are really weak, but you can also get stronger ones.

If you rather enlarge the slot, please work on one side first up to 3.5 mm for the whole length, and then the other side to 4 mm. The short sideways slots in the ends should also be enlarged respectively to both directions, to retain the alignment. You will also need to make them 0.5 mm longer.

In any case, securing the inner tube and bushing together is the most important thing to do.

when you remove the endcaps to prep the LAW for firing, you lose the sling because it's attached to those caps.

You don't lose any parts when you present the weapon.

Video:

Pics and text: http://redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/...il?reviewID=169

This is the same carrying method most armies use. Also, carrying the tube this way distributes the weight differently (stresses the springs less), so it doesn't fall off the sling by itself.

The real M72 is not reloadable with the actual rocket, and it wouldn't make much sense either, because the rocket itself is the expensive part. It can be equipped with various training devices for target practice.

-Sale

I have seen one, and sold one, and had it back within the week.

Its pretty much what screamin_weasel said, also now because ther trigger is stuck down, you can't pull out the tube as its locked half way and for love nor money there is no way except for a complete disassemble of the weapon to actually fix it.

Though for some reason £350 sounds a bit too much.... We sold ours for £200.

I also do have to say, it takes about ooooo 5 years to try and reload the damn thing! As you have to push the extendable tube in, which first you need 3 hands to push down the 2 sights and push the tube back in. Then you have to have small hands to fit down the tube to get hold of the really small bar to twist the inner tube and then pull out, then you have to open it and fold it out and then take your 203 out and reload and go through the whole process again!

Why would i pay £200+ to spend 10 mins to do that so i can fire a measly 203 grenade aournd 5-10 metres. As thats all its good for!

Waste of money, waste of time, and i will never be selling them again.

For those that have it, my local shop owner was launching racquetballs for quite some distance. Might be worth it to try a few, as they're certainly a hell of a lot more impressive than the bbs that would otherwise come out.

Of course, it sounds like the reliability is the main thing to address at this point.

where m79's ? i assume so, and in practical terms, for both reliability and performance, the CAW M79 is so far ahead of the deepfire LAW its unreal.

my CAW gets used a lot every time i go shooting. through my 3 shells in most games its carried. even if the LAW worked at the moment, i'd hazard a guess at using it, maybe 2 or 3 times a day, if that.....

i suppose if you're re-enacting, are hardcore mil-sim, it might be worth buying from HK, or USA. dont expect reliabilty and performance though.

If you already have empty tubes, just fit some PVC pipe in there, have the end small enough to fit a 40mm grenade, cut notches out so you can grab the rim of the grenade to extract it, and when you're ready to fire, just reach back and press the valve release with your finger. I saw a similar design on a toy LAW a couple weeks ago.

One of my team mates has the metal version. I've made a new grub screw for him (his worked out and was lost) and he asked me to shorten the length on the firing pin. It seems his CA shells would fire as soon as the back was swung up into the home position :(

Several of the holes holding the top parts on are stripped.

The thing is a pain to reload. Closing it is a chore. Paint rubbing off.

Hmmmm. Similar story here.

It looks cool, but has almost zero functionality as a skirmish piece.

Well I bought mine to be an anti-vehicle prop and err I wanted one :P I bought it with the intention of making/using some kind of rocket shaped projectile and only having one use in a game, reloading would be done in the safezone. My G36c has a MM Mini-launcher on the foregrip (it's so milsim :P) so I use that for normal 40mm moscarts

Basically it boils down to not enough time spent reviewing before mass producing it. Pretty much the same story with their grenades.

They're going to have to pull something special out the hat if they want to shake the reputation they've earnt.

If you already have empty tubes, just fit some PVC pipe in there, have the end small enough to fit a 40mm grenade, cut notches out so you can grab the rim of the grenade to extract it, and when you're ready to fire, just reach back and press the valve release with your finger. I saw a similar design on a toy LAW a couple weeks ago.

Sure sounds easy enough doesn't it?

Did you take into account that this "tube" was built 40 years ago and was intended as a "use and discard" weapon? the rubber, the switch, the spring, and other parts just haven't held up over the years.

Archived