Multicam or Woodland?

The TRUSPEC and SKDTac are made of 50% nylon/50% cotton.

The multicam you listed is 65% polyester/35% cotton. Thats why its priced so low.

Edit: or at least thats what Im guessing :P

Could the material difference be because the one that the OP listed is Rip-stop and the Truspec and SKDTac aren't (can't find anywhere that says they are rip-stop)?

The Propper Multicam is the way to go if you're comfortable with normal ACU or MARPAT because it the exact same weight and has about the same breathability. If you're looking for something more lightweight and breathable for hot climate weather than the TRUs from Tru-Spec are pretty nice (also type ACU cut).

I have it from a good source that this fall (08') Propper will release a Layered system like the ECWS Gen II Gortex type stuff in Multicam.

Intrudershop (aka Guarder) is coming out with Multicam tactical gear for most of their stuff soon as well.

P.S. Get some better boots. :waggle: I have no experience with the ones you're looking at, but trust me you don't want to go cheap in boots. Look at real Danner boots you may spend a little more, but your feet will thank you and you'll be able to enjoy your time in the woods.

Irish DPM for the win!

Meh, I say get woodland.  You can get it for about $15 for pants and blouse.  And it works just fine.  I've had guys come up 10 feet from me and never notice me, and this is when I was sitting in light brush.  So like I said, it works just fine.

If you do go the path of Multicam, you may want to look into the Tru-Spec kind, it's about $80 for a set IIRC, and the people who have it say it works just fine.

never seen irish DMP

well i am not sure what i 'chose' since your This one OR this one only has yes and no answers, i clicked yes, but im not 100% sure wether you take that as yes take a longer time to get multicam, or yes get woodland now.

personally i love the US Woodland, but thats just me, i find MC a bit Boring tbh, loved it when it was rare on the skirmishfield, now every man and his elderly grandparents wear it. so its lost its appeal for me. however i think you will probably be better off with it since your worried about stealth enough to post pictures of your area to help us establish whats best

alternatly you could get some Real Tree camo, should be availible in a pattern good for your local area. and also goes great with AK's! ;)

Multicam.

But with an AK-47? That should be interesting.

edit

For all the MARPAT/CADPAT/ACU kids, Multicam pwns digital every day of the week for a month and a half. The only reason that woodland stands a chance is that its a classic. And SEALs use it.

So, can anyone elaborate on the difference between polyester/cotton and cotton/nylon fabrics?

I find that the polyester/cotton is a little more heavy and therefore does not breath as easily as cotton/nylon. In short, for me it is polyester/cotton winter/late fall/early spring and cotton/nylon for summer/early fall/late spring. The propper rep swears up and down though that tests show that polyester/cotton performs just as well in hot climates and that it is more durable.

Umm, I thought the nylon and polyester they talk about in clothes is totally the same material. It's the mix ration with cotton that makes a loom sweaty or breathing. The optimal relation seems to be 50PE/50CO, a very strong, quite breathing and fast drying mix. Myself, I prefer the old good 100% ripstop cotton, nothing can beat that on a hot day. :P

Edit: By the way, damn you Americans, damn you for having such cheap US camo. In Finland one must pay 90E (~110$) for an original Propper Woodland uniform. Used issue MARPAT-uniforms aren't even anywhere near that. :angry:

Hey, we here in the USA are just starting to get affordable Multicam and affordable Multicam tactical gear is still slow in coming.

Great camo pattern though as I just finished seeing "Transformers" the movie where a fictional mix-special forces team wear multicam and it was hard to see them at times even in urban environments (of course it was probably a bit of camera lighting). Great stuff.

My team recently switched over to multicam and believe it or not it gives you an amazing tactical advantage. In the forests we play in you can't distinguish multicam very well from woodland or desert. Also a teammate of mine has an AK, OD vest and multicam BDU's and it doesn't look half bad. i hate AK's as it is but it doesn't look too bad. oh and transformers makes multicam look so good, minister is right, the soldiers blend in extremely well.

http://www.multicampattern.com/IMAGES.htm

have you checked out those pictures? comparison of woodland vs multicam in various areas.

to be fair, its kinda been set up to show MC in a good light, im sure anyone could come up with a photoset to show their favourite camo was better than any other

not to say it isnt good that is

Multicam works well in areas with deciduous trees, but in pine tree forests you would do better with MARPAT (woodland of course).

For deciduous or mixed growth woods, areas with dry fields or changing foliage, desert, grassy areas, sub-urban/rural areas, or rocky areas Multicam more than gets the job done.

Yeah Multicam works great when you select the perfect location like Bengali said. The problem is multicam kinda sucks when you get into a dark green forest typical of America. Its just too tan.

Beg to differ. Its all in how you use it. Of course, you're not going to blend in just standing around doing nothing to improve your concealment, but if you utilize foliage, terain, and shadows, multicam really works well, compared to other patterns. Though I will concede that MARPAT is extremely effective, I'll stick with Multicam.

Multicam FTW!

I'm switching from woodland to multicam as soon as I can. Even here in Georgia woods, I've seen guys using it and I can see it works better than woodland.

Yes, Marpat woodland works great in thick green forest, but multicam works great when you've got a brown, or clay ground with brown and green foliage.

Yeah Multicam works great when you select the perfect location like Bengali said. The problem is multicam kinda sucks when you get into a dark green forest typical of America. Its just too tan.

Beg to differ. Its all in how you use it. Of course, you're not going to blend in just standing around doing nothing to improve your concealment, but if you utilize foliage, terain, and shadows, multicam really works well, compared to other patterns. Though I will concede that MARPAT is extremely effective, I'll stick with Multicam.

The funny thing is that I agree with both of you...

To poorieuser's point, Multicam in and of itself sticks out like a glowstick in the woods around here. To (part of) Kraut's point, feildcraft is key. You can't replace good tactics with any Gucciflage out there.

My experience/observations of multi-cam when used locally (Middle Tennessee) = The local "Big Field" is around thirty acres, mostly wooded with several structures scattered throughout. There are also some large open grassy areas and several dirt trails (almost wide enough to drive trucks around on). The guys who use Multicam around here seem to have much better luck sticking to the grassy areas and around the dirt roads than going deep into the woods. It works much better with lighter shades of green and brown than what you find in typical American woodland.

Edit: Almost forgot... What does work here: The guys who seem to stay the most invisible are using MARPAT or (are you ready for this) commercial hunting camo. What I use: US Woodland pants and boonie hat with OD or Army Brown T-Shirt and good feildcraft. ;)

True, it's not all about just color, but breaking up the outline of the human form, which is extremely recognizable to the eye.

I have to agree, MARPAT would be best in woodland though, as there is no 'universal' camo pattern/color. But the new players who wear hunting camo tend to stand out a lot more than anything else on the field (even three-color DCU!)

...But the new players who wear hunting camo tend to stand out a lot more than anything else on the field (even three-color DCU!)

The five or six guys I was reffering to, while only playing airsoft for the last year or two, are all in their thirties and have been hunting deer, turkey, etc. in this area since they were old enough to hold a rifle. Feildcrat is feildcraft, no matter what your hunting! ;)

I played an op a few years back where two of the three guys wearing guille suits that day spent more time at respawn than they did on the field (the third one knew what he was doing), but a guy wearing khaki shorts with a red and white Hawaiin shirt kicked *albatross* like a steamroller all day long (including a knife kill or two).

Archived