Shotgun Project

Auroris

Well IMO I think that putting wood on the SPAS is a brilliant idea, especially some nice walnut. And that choke/flashider will no doubt look pretty damn sweet.

However, at the moment I think that your stock design is no good IMHO. The reason being that I think you should definetly just be keeping the real steel SPAS 12 stock design, I really don't think it looks that good when merged with the M249 stock design. Anyway, like I said thats just my opinion so you should do whatever you thinks best. Show us how you get on mate.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I cut the wood to the right sized block. I am a bit stuck with the stock... I am going to draw out multiple designs and then see which one will look best. I have my own camera now so I can show everyone how I'm doing. There hasnt been much progress as my girlfriend is demanding far too much time lol (and she hates airsoft) BUT now im by myself I'll get all the plans of everything up tonight. I'm not going to begin the stock until I'm happy with the design because this wood was tres expensive!

Thanks for your suggestion Kenworth W900, I am reconsidering lol.

Here is my re-design of the choke/flash hider. I wanted it to look a little different and went with a biohazard inspired look.

Photo-0004.jpg

Here is the stock design cut out and placed where it will go, to get an approximate look. What do you think? I think the end is too large. Although the picture is at an angle which makes it look larger than RL.

Photo-0003.jpg

Hello all...

I've been away visiting relatives hence, no word. I've spent the afternoon today taking my gun to pieces. I have stripped it down to the "gearbox" or mechbox or whatever you want to call it. I am not confident at all I will be able to put it back to working order lol. I am going to try and fit the spring, piston heads and barrels tonight but I also want to find out if it would be possible to have the entire mechbox casing cast in metal. This will increase the strength no end, but I have no idea who to go to for this... anyone have any suggestions? If I can get it in metal, I can secure the wooden stock much easier.

Also, when I was taking the barrel off, it became very very stiff and I realised that there was a dent in the top, where the little cap that secures the three inner barrels lies. I don't know if this is supposed to be here, but I think it has been caused by screwing the screw that goes in the top of the handguard in too tight. I'm maybe thinking about buying a PDI shortened barrel? Or will this look stupid with the full stock etc. I will photoshop the choices i think...

Finally, whilst I was away with my relatives, I met my uncle who is a very good carpenter. I gave him my block of walnut to do the initial shaping as I found I am too ######... :-(

have the entire mechbox casing cast in metal. This will increase the strength no end

You'd also empty your pockets in the process. You might have better chances at getting the parts machined out of aluminum with a CNC mill. And include the cylinder to be made as well if you're really going to up the power on this one as they are made of plastic out of the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately the stock is at not as far completed... I have cut my wood into two halves and started really planing how the hell it will stay on the body of the gun. The problem is this walnut is really heavy and hard and the bit it has to attach to is really light and made from thin plastic.

The way I am going to attach it is rather than have the stock in two halves, I am going to cut out the stock shape clean the wood make it all nice and curvy and then cut out a section in the back for the receiver to slide into. A long screw will go right up the stock into the body, like the M3, and one shorter screw will go through the top of the grip and through the body of the gun. It is so hard to describe so I may put some pictures up...

Anyway, the point is, I do not have the skills or tools to do this effectively so sent the wood up to my uncle, who as I said is a professional carpenter. He will make it nice but communication seems to be slow! I will let you know when progress has been made.

As I said in an earlier post, my ****ing barrel has a dent in it, causing the bbs to hit the small bit of plastic just exiting the inner barrels. I am going to need a new barrel, and a PDI shortened barrel will look silly. Does anyone know where I could get a steel pipe of the same dimensions? Will a generic shop like wicks do it?

ah ok, thanks for the info! I think I've found a place in Dorking... an engineering factory. Apparently my dad got a bolt made for himself there... Ok, updates... updates. Well the choke is being sent to me right now so that is great. I am going to get a lot of the internals metalized then rebuild the gun from scratch. I will hunt for a barrel tomorrow and have the necessary screw holes threaded in it. The stock should hopefully be well on its way now. My uncle still hasn't emailed me back though... What else do I need. Ah yes, I need to make a shell holder! Oh and also, I'm going to have a symbol, a icon if you will, sprayed small onto the side of the gun. Something biohazard themed. Does anyone think this will look silly?

Oh, and I'm making it so that the cocking handle moves. I could make it so that it cocks the gun but unfortunately it would move the pump grip as well which would just be silly. but yes, I'm getting a small plate of steel to re-make the ejection port cover, even though it will serve no purpose, it is just for fun. It will look far smarter also, I'm going to keep it in silver. Like the M870.

FEEEEDBACK PLEASE!!!!! :D

Maybe you could make it so when you pull the bolt back the shell is pushed out.

Hard to explain and draw but I'll try.

spas12mod.jpg

There is a plate that holds the shell in place between the ejection port cover and itself. The cover is pulled back once the shell is empty and the spring pushes the shell out.

Sorry if it confuses you. Feel free to ask.

Yeah I see what you mean, I think that would, however, require to completely redesign the internals of the gun. The shell goes at the bottom and stays there and there isn't really any space to do anything inside the gun. I shall have a look though. It is a cool idea, thanks.

ah ok, thanks for the info! I think I've found a place in Dorking... an engineering factory. Apparently my dad got a bolt made for himself there... Ok, updates... updates. Well the choke is being sent to me right now so that is great. I am going to get a lot of the internals metalized then rebuild the gun from scratch. I will hunt for a barrel tomorrow and have the necessary screw holes threaded in it. The stock should hopefully be well on its way now. My uncle still hasn't emailed me back though... What else do I need. Ah yes, I need to make a shell holder! Oh and also, I'm going to have a symbol, a icon if you will, sprayed small onto the side of the gun. Something biohazard themed. Does anyone think this will look silly?

Oh, and I'm making it so that the cocking handle moves. I could make it so that it cocks the gun but unfortunately it would move the pump grip as well which would just be silly. but yes, I'm getting a small plate of steel to re-make the ejection port cover, even though it will serve no purpose, it is just for fun. It will look far smarter also, I'm going to keep it in silver. Like the M870.

FEEEEDBACK PLEASE!!!!! :D

how about an engraved design? :rolleyes: .Also are you still getting the mec box casing made of metal ,because I think you'll realy need it to be to support the stock. Are you still running with the wood pump grip idea too? :)

how about an engraved design? :rolleyes: .Also are you still getting the mec box casing made of metal ,because I think you'll realy need it to be to support the stock. Are you still running with the wood pump grip idea too? :)

Yes, I'm still looking at the pump grip to be made from walnut... I have to wait until I visit my uncle though, he lives in Brampton in Cumbria so a little while away lol. I upgraded the inner barrels today and all the plastic round them should be fine if I leave it in plastic. My god the hop-up is the hardest thing to get perfect on this gun! I am still getting most of the internals to be made from metal hopefully, including the casing which I will also redesign to support the full stock. I got Candyman's choke today and it fits like a glove! no luck with the barrel... :-( I think I'm just going to have to knock the dent out.

This 0.9J spring is vast compared to the original 0.7J. I need the entire spring guide, cyclinders, pistons everything made out of metal before I attempt using it frequently.

I was thinking when (if) I get the receiver made from aluminium, I would engrave Franchi S.P.A.S. 12 instead of Tokyo Marui. Perhaps I could design something more to be engraved

• 2 weeks later...

That would have been handy but it's out of stock and I tried to buy it when it was in stock and they dont ship to england... with the gun laws etc lol. Yeah, you have to remove a great chunk of it to slide the innards of the TM into it. Thanks anyway though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, quick update (no pictures though I'm afraid...). My stock has been cut out of the walnut block, as has the pump grip. They are now to be hollowed out and rounded/sanded. Also, with this progress I have come to a nice discovery: Now that I have a solid stock (the original pistol grip is completely hollow) I do not need a metal mechbox casing for it to last with an upgraded spring! This is because the spring will actually be pushing against wood and not a thin bit of plastic then lots of air. For this I am happy :-) . I also think that because of how the wood stock is fitted, it will be stronger than the plastic stock anyway, so I don't need a metal mechbox to support the stock!

In other news, I am getting a custom trigger made, and a metal spring guide made.

'Brigado!

Connor

Hi all, quick update (no pictures though I'm afraid...). My stock has been cut out of the walnut block, as has the pump grip. They are now to be hollowed out and rounded/sanded. Also, with this progress I have come to a nice discovery: Now that I have a solid stock (the original pistol grip is completely hollow) I do not need a metal mechbox casing for it to last with an upgraded spring! This is because the spring will actually be pushing against wood and not a thin bit of plastic then lots of air. For this I am happy :-) . I also think that because of how the wood stock is fitted, it will be stronger than the plastic stock anyway, so I don't need a metal mechbox to support the stock!

In other news, I am getting a custom trigger made, and a metal spring guide made.

'Brigado!

Connor

I'm so happy for you, when is it due :D

I've been following your project with interest, and would offer my opinion. I'm sure if you ask you uncle he will agree, the best finish for your stock would be oil. Once a beautiful piece of timber such as this has been created and worked untill it's perfectly smooth, it should be given a perfect finish. Your local gun shop should supply a 3 stage kit for new walnut stocks consiting of a couple of different grade oils, fine wet and dry paper and even wire wool. If you cant get one PM me they sell them at the range where I shoot. Once you have it up to a good standard, Parker Hale do an excellent Walnut stock oil that will maintain your stock for a lifetime. Good luck

Jimbo

Archived