Effective range

last_caress

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lololol, great story. seriously awesome shot as much of it was luck, but still very impressive. the guys expression must have been priceless :P

i met up with him afterwards. he wanted to see my gun.

but yes, i attributed that shot to a lot of luck. wind held out for the time the bb was in flight. otherwise, at that range, even .43's would get blown away.

I think 90m is a little optimistic.

I tested three fully upgraded 550-615fps VSRs and no .29 or .36s made that far.

I'm pretty sure about that, since I stood downrange and laser ranged the shooters.

80 meters is more realistic, IMO.

Yes it is optimistic. Having spent a lot of time at testing my guns, (& having them tested on me) I can confidently state that they do sling a bb over 90m. Definitely a 'long shot', but having made it before, I'll give it a go. As stated, 70 on a calm day is more the norm.

& I've had the same experience as you; upgraded to 665fps (just out of interest & not for skirmishing) & found that with sgms there was no benefit over 500fps!! I was tinkering with the idea of heavier ammo, but as our site's limit is 500fps I didn't bother.

Greg.

Not to awfully hard. Unless your a woman or child. The range is actually more affected by the hop up and tightbore more than FPS I mean you could be shooting 700 fps and the bb won't go much farther than 100 yards. You can also get special pistons or a teflon cylinder to make it easier to rack the bolt. If you still think you would have problems then I would go with a gas based rifle.

The range is actually more affected by the hop up and tightbore more than FPS

so what hop up should i get for KJW m700?

and im also thinking on tightbore because my rifle can shoot a 0.25 about 110m but i cant hit a man sized target with every shot at that range, but its possible to hit a car at that range

and my m700 is built on CO2

i really need a tightbore and new hop up for my KJW m700 with co2, any suggestions?

so i went shooting today, it was super easy to hit a head sized target at 30m

at 50m it was easy to hit a human body

but at 70m its quite hard because the BB starts to wobble around, i thought maybe its the hop up what makes it inaccurate at long distances and also a new tightbore would be nice

i should also get some good quality 0.43 bbs, i were using LH 0.43 today theyre definately not the best ones, the surface is like oranges shell

so i would like to get a new hop up and maybe tightbore for my KJW M700 but i dont know what to buy.....

I've had experiences with many bolt action rifles, with an average FPS of 540fps. Each having different internals, and each being a different make and model.

In these experiences, I have been able to hit a man size target at 50m consistently with all the rifles. Going out to 70m, I have been able to effectively engage a man sized target with two of these rifles, one being a Maruzen L96 with extensive external and internal upgrades, and a standard KJW M700 running on Green Gas. The other rifles where various rifles with upgrades to get them to around 530fps.

Up to 95m I have been able to effectively engage a man sized target, using a Maruzen L96 with extensive upgrades all around, and a .30bb. This has been confirmed on several occasions.

The KJW M700, using .30bb's has been seen engaging targets at 80m effectively, and I'm sure in the right conditions it would possible to engage at further ranges.

All rifles that I have used, have been a 3-9x zoom with a 40mm objective, which has been adiquite for all the conditions the rifles had been used for. For the naysayers, having a higher powered scope will help you identify targets easier, and then easily adjust for conditions around the target.

• 3 weeks later...

does someone ever practice shooting? and how often?

i just shot 110shots(took one cartridge of CO2) at 70m/230feet, there was a slight wind from the side and i was using xtreme 0.3 BBs. It was easy when i hit it once then i knew where to shoot and could hit it 3-4 times again. But when i lost the right point it took about 5 shots to find it again. So can you shoot people from 60-80m with the first or second shot anytime? or does it take a lot more shots to hit target from that distance?

oh and i would like to try shooting again someday with my spotter to see if i get better results.

Yes, I practice at least once a month. I fire most of my rounds on the range and very few in the actual hunt. If you don't practice with the gun you are going to use next event, then you can have problems on the day. I fell foul of this last year and had a bad game where I screwed up most of my oppertunities by missing sitting ducks. A schoolboy error and something we all need to be aware of of the old phrase, "practice makes perfect."

Last weekend, I went in the very cold weather for practice and after being out over night my tanaka m40a1 only managed 50% hit ratio (at best) of a 18" square sized target at 40m with 0.30g. Shots were from prone with bipod but conditions were not ideal with low temperatures for green gas and there was a cross wind evident.

Yet, the gun is capable of firing a pellet out to 90m+ but chances of hitting (a mansized stationary target) are 1-3% in my experience. Indeed, I managed to hit a mansized target with my KJW M700P (at 100m) but it took around 33 shots. Remember this is not in game either. I was firing off a bipod and shooting downhill. There was a crosswind, I used EliteAirsoft 0.30g that i had been sent to trial.

At such ranges, you often get near hits, but landing one on the target, is often more down to the firer, than the rifle itself. The effective range is often more down to the visionary lob shooting of the wielder and due to the large amount of factors that can upset a pellet.... he needs luck too.

Certain HOP systems are better than others but all of them are capable of delivering a straight shot now and again. You often find yourself preying "I hope this one goes straight" when you come to make a shot after a long stalk and hope that it's not all been in vain.

I have shot people who considered themselves out of range, some were moving, some stationary. Most if I recall took 2 shots to land a hit. On all of these occassions the people mentioned that I was "a lucky *beep*!"

I guess the bottom line is accept its only Airsoft and sometimes you hit at great ranges, other times you can't hit a barn door up close. Thats the nature of the beast. At least that is what my experience tells me, although wind is often a large factor into effectiveness, on the day.

Good Hunting ;)

does someone ever practice shooting? and how often?

i just shot 110shots(took one cartridge of CO2) at 70m/230feet, there was a slight wind from the side and i was using xtreme 0.3 BBs. It was easy when i hit it once then i knew where to shoot and could hit it 3-4 times again. But when i lost the right point it took about 5 shots to find it again. So can you shoot people from 60-80m with the first or second shot anytime? or does it take a lot more shots to hit target from that distance?

oh and i would like to try shooting again someday with my spotter to see if i get better results.

practice is very important for shooting with wind, moving targets, and long ranges. with enough practice with a particular rifle and ammunition, aiming high or to the side to compensate for the elements will become instinctual. you will not have to think "well, last time i did this i aimed this many mills down, and this many to the left" instead, you will look at the area between you and your target, line up your reticle some amount to the left and down, and shoot. you will then watch the bb curve to hit the target.

now, some things to watch for to get an idea for how the bb will move through the air you can look at how the leaves are moving. the problem though, is that leaves are heavier than bb's, and that with wind blowing from multiple directions you cannot tell where and how to aim. also, since the leaves are connected to the branches, the whole tree stirs in the wind which makes it hard to read. this is where spring and summer months are good. if you look through your scope and concentrate, you can see different things floating in the air, such as spores from plants. these will be affected very easily by the wind, and are not connected to anything like leaves, so they are easier to read. (no, you do not need a high quality scope for this. i am currently using a utg/leapers $40 scope, and can see these things just fine)

I throw rounds downrange atleast every weekend. Experimenting with different hop settings, and different types and weights of BBs. I know my rifle inside and out, and I can guruntee that if someone were to take a shot with my rifle, they wouldn't have the shot to hit ratio that I would have, shooting in the same conditions.

So really it all comes down to how well you know your rifle, I've seen people go at it on the field from long distances, each having an acceptable rifle. And the one with more experiance, has always come out on top. People forget the phrase "It's not the rifle, it's the person behind it." This really holds true in anything you operate in life.

I throw rounds downrange atleast every weekend. Experimenting with different hop settings, and different types and weights of BBs. I know my rifle inside and out, and I can guruntee that if someone were to take a shot with my rifle, they wouldn't have the shot to hit ratio that I would have, shooting in the same conditions.

So really it all comes down to how well you know your rifle, I've seen people go at it on the field from long distances, each having an acceptable rifle. And the one with more experiance, has always come out on top. People forget the phrase "It's not the rifle, it's the person behind it." This really holds true in anything you operate in life.

Have you given it a name & do you polish it far too much to be considered normal? ;)

Greg.

Have you given it a name & do you polish it far too much to be considered normal? ;)

Greg.

I haven't given it a formal name, sometimes I just refer to it as my "tool" or for laughs my "Snipper Riffle." Pronounced Snip-er Rif-ul" :P

I actually treat my gun like the ugly lard that she is, baring the internals of course.

Archived