Help a GBB newbie out.

Bizurkur

Ok, I honestly am a total idiot when it comes to GBB's. Not to airsoft mind you, been doing it for almost 5 years, I've just never had a GBB.

I know the basics on gas,

Like green is fine, propane pwns but you need lube, red = awesome but maybe explode etc.

What I really don't know is what brands to trust.

Obviously TM is a sure win for reliability, but since my gun is going to be mostly for Pistol-Only or Decoration, I really want a metal gun.

So as usual when I have a problem, I come to arnies... the land of airsoft knowledge :D

So basically my question is this.

I want a gun that is all metal, can have a LAM (I love those things :D) and won't explode after a few hundred rounds. Any recommendations?

This is for an ultra-modern styled loadout, so I'm looking for something kinda techy.

I have the KSC MK23 in mind (large hands over here, you have no idea how many times I typed this), or maybe a WA of some kind, but those are mucho expensive. And if I had ever heard good things about them, a freedom art upgrade for a hicapa would be awesome.

Anyway, that's all I have to say... please forgive my stream of conscious styled post. :D

I recommand TM Hi-Capa 5.1, get a metal slide and barrel, has the largest gas capacity with lots of BB capacity. It comes with a stock rail, and you can get a freedom art kit for it if you want....

mine:

3302927a.jpg

SD slide, barrel, chamber, bushing kit(not needed for taper barrel), Freedom Art rail frame, nineball trigger...etc. If you don't like a Marui style OPS slide you can get ones with STI, Infinity, Springfield, Limcat, or even Kimber kit for it, so it'll look spiffy too...lol

MK23 is nice, but LAM unit will be a gun specific item as it uses its own rail system, though you can just as easily get slide and barrel for it....

The only problem with hi-capa is that they are really project guns.

I am sure I could get one to the way I like it, it'd just take a lot of money and time and probably skill (And I really don't have any except time :D)

I should rephrase the LAM statement, I really just want it to have a bottom rail, LAM isn't necessarily what I'd attach.

Which is what I meant actually when I said gun specific, MK23 has its own size rail instead of the standard mil-spec rail......

IMO if you want a full metal gun that can work well as a field and display piece you probably need to put some work in, as most cheaper ones that comes metal are not trademarked, and most nice looking ones are plastic stock. Another one I think was quite commonly recommanded to people is the KSC Glock series, I've had a G19 and they are solid little guns. Metal part installation is straight swap and kicks pretty hard for a GBB. I think some recommand G19 more than the G17/18 due to it comes with metal loading lip and heavyweight frame. KSC's metal upgrades are cheaper as well compare to TM's....

And yeah, Hi-Capa can be a bit of a money hog....lol

I recommand TM Hi-Capa 5.1, get a metal slide and barrel, has the largest gas capacity with lots of BB capacity. It comes with a stock rail, and you can get a freedom art kit for it if you want....

mine:

3302927a.jpg

SD slide, barrel, chamber, bushing kit(not needed for taper barrel), Freedom Art rail frame, nineball trigger...etc. If you don't like a Marui style OPS slide you can get ones with STI, Infinity, Springfield, Limcat, or even Kimber kit for it, so it'll look spiffy too...lol

I'd second the TM hi capa 5.1 . Racing Maniac , yours looks like a beast...

But if you want metal I've heard the WE ones aren't bad..

I've got a KSC USP .45. Came with a plastic slide so I ordered the TW metal slide with the trades. Not exactly 100% true to the RS but it was a bargain compared to the SD slides and the like. It also has the HK trades on the grip and the bottom of the mags. Also bought the SD 150% springs and it runs like a champ (you need these because of the heavier slide). I run propane (coleman camping tank with a madbull adapter), it kicks pretty good for what it is :rolleyes: and the slide cycle is perfect with the SD springs. As of late I've been ordering all my stuff from Dentrinity so that's where I purchased my USP. Came to the US in about 3-4 days. No customs problems and all trades were intact as Den seems to know what they are doing. Gun shoots great. Couldn't ask for more from a sidearm. It gets good range and is accurate. It would be great for CQB. So far I've only run about 100-200 rounds through it but I see no visible wear and it still shoots like I just took it out of the box. Only issue I have with it is that although there is a safety, it disengages when you pull the trigger. Apparently this is an issue on all KSC USP's. I'll be stripping mine down to see what's going on with the internals.

Btw, installation of the metal slide, outer barrel, and SD springs were pretty easy. All you're going to need is a small drift pin, hammer, and small allen wrench set. If you have basic knowledge of how to use these tools and can use the search function on this forum you can install these items no problem.

Hi mate,

For a first time GBB gun i would avoid anything by Western Arms as they can little buggers if they dont like the gas, ammo or weather (dont get me wrong - WA guns can be the best but they have too many little quirks that come with them that need a bit of patience like gassing through bumpered mags ets).

BUt if you not put off by learning about GBB guns then the gun for you is a WA Sig 1911 GSR... Click me!

TM's Glock 17 is a fabulous gun but i noticed you dont want a Glock, so i would instantly go with a TM Sig P226, you have the rail frame, they dont need high powered gas to run like a stealth train but can accept it if you wish to risk it, upgrades are vast, metal slides & frames come in so many different makes & start pretty cheap (Guarder or G&P) & work really well with a silencerv attached which is quite rare for a GBB gun (the silencers tend to weigh the barrel down retarding & restricting blowback).

If you really want a USP the i would advice that you make sure you get a warrenty with the mags - the gun is amazing & kicks like a drunken cop but i have found that out of the two that i have had & sold/traded the mags (total of five out of seven) developed leaks in the base seal.

This is a common problem with the full size USP mags & some really thick silicone grease solves the problem straight away but it's not great for a first time buyer.

The absolute best GBB gun ever made is the KSC/KWA Glock 19 - i know you dont want one, but it is the absolute best, followed by the WA shorty .40 & the KSC S&W Performance Center M945 AUTO - there is a railed version of this available too ;)

If you click the link at the bottom of my thread in the signature there is a whole pile of info on the last three guns on my website - i have to go to work now & dont have time to click & paste...

AP.

being a GBB newbie myself, confirm my suggestions first.

i've been reading up on the WE guns for a while because i too want an all metal pistol. some of there's are good, and some are horrible. The dragon series are terrible because the slide is made from a terrible alloy and will crack/break.

the WE 1911 and P14 look really good. i'm going to get the p14 from airsoftgi because it takes CO2 cartridges and those are alot easier to swap out, easier to get in my area, and last longer than green gas. also i'm pretty sure the FPS is a little higher with CO2 but i could be wrong.

just make sure you read reviews about the guns your interested in, not all full metal guns are good. you might have to buy a plastic TM or something else and get a metal kit, like the guarder one or some thing.

He's right, Providing you use green gas & the gun has been filed & worn in the WE single stackers are ok but they are not reliable skirmish guns, they can sometimes only fire about 10 BB's before they freeze out & expell all of the remaining gas.

The HI-capa series have just been re-evaluated & apparently are very good now but i'm sure time will tell on that one - the regular HI-capas (inc gragons) are a bit ######.

I would avoid WE guns for the time being, at least until you ead up on people comments - the best place to learn the problems with WE guns is by going to the surgery section on here...

AP.

I would seriously recommend you drop the age old "must be full metal" that is just not a good way to go into gas guns. Anything that comes in on a budget, full metal will in most cases (KSC excluded) be inferior and not worth the price. Yes WE seems to be getting better, but they still haven't caught up yet.

I think the Hi Capa is the best option, power, accuracy, fast cycle speed for those snap shots. It also does come with a rail.

Second would be the TM Sig P226. Rail, solid, enough power and accuracy to go.

The Hi Capa is more powerful, and more accurate in a controlled environment. In use, the best one for you is the one that fits your hand best and can be pointed more naturally.

• 3 months later...

If you decide on the TM Hi-Capa, don't get the 5.1.

As a newbie, you might enjoy it, but it's not the best stock gun around, imo,

The 4.3" is just as accurate and a better gun in nearly every respect.

Cheers.

Archived