Halo 2/3 Battle Rifle

Vamp V^^V

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sturmjager, thanks again for your input :) And welcome to the party Buffalosoldier! And the rest of you :D

Unfortunately.. ( :( ) My camera is currently not allowing me to upload pics of my progress. Plus, I'm going away for 10 days on Saturday. So this is going to have to go on hold until I get back. But please, rest assured that it will be finished, and completed upon my return. This isnt going to be left half-done.

I might still be able to upload a few photos before I go, but I wouldn't hold your breath..

His source is perfectly reliable, plus from the side, it does look Acog-ish.

Not really, its a fan wiki, and is just opinion. If someone can give me a link with someone from the design team of the game saying how they based the scope on the acog (and even then, it would be based, its not an acog at all), I will take back what I said.

Not really, its a fan wiki, and is just opinion. If someone can give me a link with someone from the design team of the game saying how they based the scope on the acog (and even then, it would be based, its not an acog at all), I will take back what I said.

They weren't intending on it looking like the ACOG, it just happened by luck.

Just like the rifle in itself looks like the baby of a FAMAS F1 and the XM8 Carbine marriage, you don't need a developer source to place that into an article.

• 1 month later...

I know I promised more work, over a month a go, but for reasons I wont post here, the project had to take a back seat. BUT, I've been tidying it up,and doing more cosmetic work today and yesterday, and will do more this week.

Pictures up this evening of what I've got done so far!!

Thanks.

Photo time!

Here you can see the general shape of how its coming along. The handguard has been removed obviously, because I'm in the process of finishing the reshaping work I'm doing to it, to give it the curve that you can see on the BR.

And in this photo you can see the plasticard I added to the sides of the rail, to try and break up its blocky shape into something more like the BR. It's not finished yet, I'm going to another piece to the rear of the rail, underneath the rear sight. And also trim off the corner of the original famas handle, to smooth it in.

I think the red dot should be sitting further back on the rail there. perhaps if you removed the rear sight and extended that rail all the way to the back (when you cut the front to give it that curve perhaps you can transferr some of the rail)

then you could sit the dot further back.

Looking at those pictures above of the rifle, the rail shame is really similar to the g36E carry handle. Might make life easier if you could get one of those, but of course its more money...

anyways looking good so far man, good luck with this

Thanks mate, and I agree about the different rail, but it was a choice between paying a fair amount of money for an E rail and having it shipped in, or getting a C rail for free from a mate who didnt need it anymore. And to be honest, I went with the cheaper, possibly not AS good option, lol.

Call me a skinflint, but I thought it was worth the money saved.

And I like the idea about extending the rail and moving back the RDS. I might have a crack at that, but from a purely practical point of view, I thought it a good idea to have the iron sights on, just in case the RDS failed mid-skirmish, or the battery died, etc. It would suck to then just have a hollow metal tube to aim through.

But thanks for the input, and the comments :)

Yeah running out of batteries could suck a bit hah.. what if you changed the sights? maybe replaced the g36 ones with low profile pistol sights? (the g36e optic rail has a similar set up on top).

maybe some 1911 ones?

I just mention it because the g36 ones are quite obvious and really do change the shape.

oo oo, just had an evil genuis idea though it would take a bit of work... what if you cut a groove down the center of the rail except for the last rail ridge which you cut the sides but left the center as a front sight?

that would be low profile pistol sights.. might not be the most accurate though, also you would have to make that groove dead strait.

but hey its things like that that make a project awesome right?

anyways, again good luck.

ps : last post i meant shape not shame and i was talking about the actual halo rifle (though i think you understood my crazy internet england)

Lol, I understood what you meant, don't worry.

And that's not a bad idea, about using low profile sights, I'd just worry about how easy they would be to use. I'll wait until I've finished this, and see how I think it looks with the C sights on there.

In the mean time, here's another photo, to show the front part on, thought still not finished. And I also added smaller strips of plasticard onto the rear part of the rail, to fill it in.

IMG_5618.jpg

and a close up

IMG_5619.jpg

Okay, I sprayed it in black krylon now, and then touched up the bits that I missed the first time round, and this is what it looks like -

IMG_5627.jpg

And a close up of the front end

IMG_5628.jpg

Now, it's not completely finished. I want to fiddle some more with the handguard to alter the shape even more, and I'm going to stencil on some UNSC logos on the stock (I filled in and painted over the Famas trades). But I'm going away on Tuesday (getting married!) so tomorrow is my deadline for this, for the time being at least. So I will try and get some logos painted in tomorrow, and try to get a shot of this, with the armour that I mocked up. And so, for the time being, this is pretty much done.

I know it's not a completely accurate replica of a Battle Rifle, but I was never kidding myself that it was going to be. BUT, I think that it looks pretty good. I'm pleased that it now looks more like a Battle Rifle than a Famas does, lol. And on top of that, it's actually great to use! The lowered rail gives perfect eye relief, and a fantastic platform for optics. And the modded handguard is also a lot more comfortable to hold than the standard Famas one. So I'm fairly pleased :)

More pics will be up tomorrow hopefully, if I get the logos done okay.

Archived