5 new AKs and RKs by Unicorn (

chas

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey CrazyJ, if you want one of the new Unicorn AKs from RMW just use the contact feature on their website to contact the owner Ting. He just got me one yesterday and should be shipping it out to me tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have mine from RMW by the weekend and I can post a little review when it arrives.

So yeah, even though it's not listed on the RMW website you can still order one from them if you want ^_^

someone please do a review on these guns.

2 questions:

1. What is the best place to order these from?

2. are they any good? i need realistic looking and durable.

1. Russian Mania Workshop, hands down. Gunner Airsoft does a rather horrible job of assembling these guns (since Unicorn AKs come as a parts kit and the retailer must assemble the gun themselves) most of the time and parts will come misfitted, bent out of shape, and sometimes missing altogether if you order from Gunner. RMW on the other hand does a great job of carefully putting the kits together and I've yet to hear any major complaint about a Unicorn AK ordered from them.

2. Internals should be as durable as clone internals get, since these AKs are put together with a new CYMA AK gearbox. I don't know what kind of hopup rubber it uses but I plan to replace it with a Guarder improved hopup rubber as soon as I get it, since I am assuming that it will be rubbish. Externals should be pretty durable since it's full steel construction with no potmetal, only pressed sheet steel and casted steel. That said there still might be some external niggles here and there (poorly fitting bolt, slightly bent parts, sharp edges, wobbly stock, etc.) but I won't be able to say for sure until I get mine within the next week or so. If RMW is as good as everyone says when it comes to assembling these guns I imagine that they'll take the time to make sure parts are not bent or poorly fitted, so that should reduce a lot of the external issues.

What size battery can the Unicorn AKS74 accomodate. I have not seen pics of the gun with the receiver cover off so far, only the AKSU, but might have overlooked them. I am just trying to order a battery for the gun before it arrives, and would like to know if someone has seen one in person, or knows what size battery (4/5A 2000mah) and how many cells will fit into it. Thanks.

Ok, I just received mine, so far looking good.

This one, by the way -> http://www.gunnerairsoft.com/catalog/produ...6fc6576a903f4c6

(it's the AK74S Polymer)

Here goes the test after I got it...So far :

-No wobbles, mag fit in perfectly, and tested with Marui Hi-Cap also fit OK. But the plastic quality is just horrendous. (But then again, fitting AK47 type banana mags in this AEG will look even more horrendous....) If you are a collector I'd suggest you getting some midcaps set from better company, say, STAR(?)

-The selector thingy is quiet(like somebody posted here quite a while), ya don't hear a click or two when you go from Safe to Auto & Semi. But i think this doesn't concern me much (yet).

-The skeleton stock lock (located at the rear of the body, not the one near the mag well) is f* hard to push. Maybe a little this and that will fix it.

- Tested with 0.2 bb, chronoed at around 392 (minimum) to 398 FPS (20 shots) using Guarder Chrono (yes, it's higher than what I read at gunnerairsoft's description)

- Full-auto mode works fine

- Fitting ribbed cover onto the receiver takes quite a precision, i guess i'll have to get used to it...

- After take down, i found out they are using 7mm gearbox... Correct me if i'm wrong here :P and 509 mm inner barrel (haven't check the exact diameter of the barrel, tho)

Welllll....That's it (so far). Hopefully not much trouble in the upcoming uses in the future....

Hope it helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Not that i know of. im sure they have the aks74u which i want! >:) but where are they? some asian country i guess. so the shipping will kill me. i dont know if i beter off with the dboys, cyma or unicorn, i whant the unicorn but all this bad stuff i hear scares me. i know for a fact that the one at gunners is assembled by monkies wearing boxing gloves who have been blindfolded and tied upsidedown with a guy playing a kazoo just to ######'em of.

Never took the monkey joke too fondly... racism... lol jk.

Owning a dboys, I have to say if its worth it. Solid as a rock (except for the bolt).

don't know where RMW is. Always thought they were from Japan but I couldn't find it on their site. I'm pretty sure you'll still have to do a little self work on it if you buy it from RMW.. just alot less than from Gunners. That's what I was told anyways.

Again I recommend dboys (especially their newer ones) but people heard about my praises enough so I'm gonna shut up now. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

They have all the Unicorn series. Here is a copy of an e-mail they sent me:

Hello!

I have whole series of Unicorn, I just didn't put on my site.

But for your information, Unicorn AK is currently short in supply.

Best Regards,

Ting

Archived