Steyr AUG FAQ and Helpdesk

Hedganian

• Replies 929
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What kind of batteries are you all running in your AUGs. My TM's battery space is limited and i dislike it. :P 7.4 mini lipos arent working for me.

I've been using one of these for a few years.  All I had to do was cut the bottom part of that plastic cover off (the one with the two screws).  Still holds the gearbox in just fine.

(9.6v 2000mAh)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DVVECS/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3IAN4VN1Q26HU

Lasts all day pushing an M130+ (?) spring, I run 4 midcaps and 8 locaps.

Hehe. I dumped a bunch of speed upgrades in mine. 1000mah 7.4s aren't lasting me long enough

I run 7.4V 2100 mAh LiPo packs in mine, they're (almost) the same size as the TM 8.4V 600 mAh NiCd mini-types and they were dirt cheap when I got them.

Unless you're running a seriously beefed-up motor and gearbox set-up, you shouldn't need an 11.1V LiPo pack for an AUG.

One problem that I have had with AUGs are that the back becomes loose and the gearbox loses compression. I you want you could put in a  screw to hold the gearbox in the stock because the plastic that holds it isnt very strong.

I just put some layers of tape on the back of the plastic to keep the pressure on, never had any compression problems yet.

Apparently, rearward gearbox migration is a common problem, but one that I (fortunately for me, I guess) have never had to deal with.

However, replacing the plastic plate with a metal one will help with the problem as well as gain some extra space in the battery compartment.

Doc might still have some plates lying around, or if not he might be persuaded to make more if you ask nicely....

• 3 months later...

Hedganian, I spent the last few days reading over all 5 years of this topic. I want to say thank you for making this thread the single most invaluable source of AEG Augs on the internet. One thing I didn't see is any questions about the thin metal tube that bridges the outer barrels. Should this tube float freely around the inner barrel or should it be very tight?  

Thanks for the positive feedback, and for actually reading the thread before asking your question. I appreciate it. :)

As far as I'm aware, the metal "middle barrel" that you're asking about is normally attached to the plastic rear section of the outer barrel (the part that the hop-up unit attaches to) but it's not a major problem if it comes loose. A couple of mine are loose and I've not noticed any ill effects. Once everything is screwed together and tightened, there's not much chance for it to cause any trouble.

An still having problems with my tm aug phantom . The gun refuses to fire properly on semi auto .

My gun feeds maybe 2/3bbs for every 5/10 trigger pulls but works ok on auto

I have a psg 1 barrel , new guarder clear hop rubber set in there and everything has been checked / cleaned adjusted numerous times and I can't find the fault , I have a spare front end from an a3 jg and when I put the complete front end on the gun in place of the tm one it fires perfectly . All I can think of is that maybe the longer barrel / original piston combo Dosnt work for some mad reason . Have changed the job rubber twice just to take it out of the equation .

Any ideas guys ??? This is driving me insane ....

Have brought a new g&p hop unit but not yet tried it as a last resort .for the tm / phantom front end

Weird that it is only affecting semi auto...

It definitely is not the piston/barrel combo, that would have no effect on feeding. Unfortunately, the AUG does have a lot of variables in this area; upper/lower alignment, hop-up, feed nozzle/plate alignment.

I would suggest isolating some of those variables.

Is the spring that pushes your hopup into the gearbox present?

Pull the inner barrel and hop from the A3 and put it into the Phantom to see if it fixes your feeding issue.

If not, check the alignment of the feed nozzle with each of the uppers to make certain that they are the same.  

@Hedganian, It's not lose, I could only wish. it's tight (enter Joking metaphor here). The tube is so tight it has made the hop up clip is bad and will barely hold the hop up onto the inner barrel. If it wasn't for the screws that hold it onto the outer barrel and the black plastic ring. The whole hop up would fall off. Is the tube suppose to be that tight? is there a way to source that part, or even come up with a replacement. Heck from the little bit I've seen from Doc under this topic, I'm surprised that he hasn't made a aluminium version of the back half of the outer barrel. If I had shop tools, heck even access to a cnc, I would do it in a heart beat.   

An still having problems with my tm aug phantom . The gun refuses to fire properly on semi auto .

I have a psg 1 barrel , new guarder clear hop rubber set in there and everything has been checked / cleaned adjusted numerous times and I can't find the fault , I have a spare front end from an a3 jg and when I put the complete front end on the gun in place of the tm one it fires perfectly . All I can think of is that maybe the longer barrel / original piston combo Dosnt work for some mad reason . Have changed the job rubber twice just to take it out of the equation .

Have brought a new g&p hop unit but not yet tried it as a last resort .for the tm / phantom front end

Dry fire the gun whilst looking into the hopup unit.

Is the nozzle going far enough back?? If not, try sanding it down a bit. Helps with any gun having feeding issues. 

@Hedganian, It's not lose, I could only wish. it's tight (enter Joking metaphor here). The tube is so tight it has made the hop up clip is bad and will barely hold the hop up onto the inner barrel. If it wasn't for the screws that hold it onto the outer barrel and the black plastic ring. The whole hop up would fall off. Is the tube suppose to be that tight? is there a way to source that part, or even come up with a replacement. Heck from the little bit I've seen from Doc under this topic, I'm surprised that he hasn't made a aluminium version of the back half of the outer barrel. If I had shop tools, heck even access to a cnc, I would do it in a heart beat.   

I'm not sure I'm understanding your problem correctly.

We're talking about the aluminium tube that sits between the inner barrel and the plastic/metal two-part outer barrel, right? The aluminium part is fixed into the plastic part and extends through the foregrip block and into the metal outer barrel. It needs to be cut off flush with the plastic part if you're fitting some of the shorter barrel options like the Para AUG.

Hopefully we're now on the same page. If you think this aluminium part is the problem, try removing it. Remove the inner barrel from the barrel assembly then unscrew the plastic half of the outer barrel from the foregrip black to reveal the front end of the aluminium tube. Grasp it firmly with pliers or a mole grip, making sure you put one jaw of the pliers inside the tube and one outside to avoid crushing it. While holding the plastic part, rotate the aluminium and pull it forwards and it should come out.

It is needed to the prevent inner barrel wobbling around inside the outer barrel, but you don't really need the full length of it. If removing it solves your hop-up fitting issue then simply cut the aluminium tube down - a junior hacksaw is more than enough to do this job - file the edges smooth and refit it without pushing it all the way to the end of the plastic part.

However, I don't think that the aluminium tube doesn't extend far enough inside the plastic outer barrel to affect the hop-up unit, so it might not be your issue. In a lot of cases, the C-clip that holds the hop-up unit onto the inner barrel can get out of alignment and cause problems with the hop-up unit, so when fitting it make sure you've seated it correctly and hold it down as you slide the inner barrel into the outer to avoid it snagging.

Hope that helps.

Could be that the hop-up unit isn't fitted correctly onto the end of the inner barrel. What type of hop-up unit are you using? If you've got multiple barrel options, it's a good plan to replace all the hop-up units with the fully metal ones to avoid damage to the rings and fittings anyway, so if you've not done that then try it.

The reason that it only affects semi auto instead of full auto is that the piston travel is different between the two fire modes. If the hop-up unit is out of alignment or the air nozzle is too long then it can affect feeding but when firing full auto it doesn't travel so far forwards every shot. Doesn't sound like the nozzle is the problem, though as it would presumably affect all barrels.

Could be a problem with the feed nozzle interfacing with the hop-up unit, also. Are the hop-up units on each of your barrels the same or different?

The a3 is a complete front end including receiver , barrel hop unit etc jg make . This feeds and works perfectly . Is completely standard parts ( jg )

The phantom kit one is the original tm front end , receiver hop unit , etc the only mods are a psg 1 length barrel ( madbull ) and a guarder clear bucking , nub etc . ( this is the second one I have fitted , to make sure the first wasn't damaged .

The problems started when I used the a3 front for the first time , since then the tm front miss feeds etc , have had gearbox out and refitted to check for rearwards migration etc . The gearbox is tm with g&g gearset and bearings upgrade , eg 700 motor etc . Have tried releasing the hop so it sprung rearward etc . No difference at all .

Am wondering if cut off lever is playing up ? Or nozzle is worn but can see no visible damage

Archived