woodland players + wood stocks, grips etc

kevshin21

So I was thinking about going woodland or desert and I have always loved the ak. But I would think the wood color would give your position off espeically if you are trying to set up an ambush or something. For those who have played in the big outdoors, do you get spotted because of the wood? do you cover it up? I would like to know.

well i play in desert DPM's and a green DPM windproof and you dont get seen, anything that shiney or chrome stands out for miles....shiney boots are a no no as a sniper found out when we saw his boots before him lol

but stocks on the AK are cover by you anyway as said aboveplus black/brown is a good colour scheme and it would break up nicely

don't you mean shouldn't. And there right if it isn't some orange stain on the wood and not a lot of polyurethane the wood normally is passed off.

The human eye is tipped off by black more than it is wood-like browns. So if your AK is pure black than you'd have an issue when you move. So the obvious thing to do is... not move :)

Nah. I've never been a fan of wood furniture on weapons, but it does have its advantages in a wooded area, especially if the wood is similar to the trees in the area. The one thing to be careful of is the finish of the wood. You may not want to wear down your shiny new gun, but it would be prudent to knock that coat of shiny lacquer finish off post haste.

I've never had this problem. If I've ever been spotted it's because of the black on the gun, not the wood, since it matches bark, fallen tree's etc. I could see it happening if you play in heavily wooded area's and you have Blonde Bulgy furniture, but other than that, I wouldn't think enough of it would be seen to expose you.

The eye notices movement above everything. I have been kneeling perfectly still 10m away from someone advancing towards me and he never saw me until it was too late.

This was in DPM with a black gun shouldered.

Eventually ie after a few seconds you will be seen but unless you are a sniper you should be shooting by then. If you are a sniper then camo everything.

In truth if you are in shade and still most people can't see you anyway especially if you are prone.

As for a wood stock, if its shiny and catches the light the flashing could give you away i guess.

The human eye is tipped off by black more than it is wood-like browns. So if your AK is pure black than you'd have an issue when you move. So the obvious thing to do is... not move :)

The first part is especially true. Black is the one color that doesn't appear naturally, and it also has an outline that is difficult to break up.

But again, movement is the easiest thing to spot, with movement parallel to the horizon being the easiest to pick out.

Generally speaking if you're in an ambush position and reasonably well concealed the main things likely to give you away are movement and noise. The last time I played about two weeks ago I was lying with my M14 (real wood stock) and wearing MARPAT with a bloke in my sights about thirty metres to my front. He looked right at me and even with my un-camo'ed face he did not see me, well actually he said after my mate lit him up that he had thought I was a rock or a tree stump. The key is that I didn't move.

Really I'd say the part of other players rifles I spot most often are those all too black barrels and receivers. Black is just a colour that is found in nature and as a result it really stands out when you start looking for it.

saw a magazine ad for an armalite rifle company (LaRue maybe) who said "first thing the troops in the dsert do when they get a new shipment of our M4A1's is get the Krylon cans out and paint them up".

if you're serious about blending in might as well paint your gun like a lot of people do.

I've never done it but I do use Desert MARPAT camo wrap on my M4. its a lot less permanent than paint.

no point in being covered head to toe in Multicam or DPM just to be carrying around a huge black rifle.

Obviously that should read "NOT found in nature".

:huh::D

actually black is either an absense of light or every pigment combined, it's technically NOT a color :P Your point still stands, it's not found naturally in nature except in shadows.

First thing I usually spot on someone if they are stationary is their face, then goggles (sinec people use black goggles....) then the black rifle. Occasionally people who have wood stocks will blend in easier but a gun is going to give you away less than your face will. I have a good picture of me hiding somewhere and the only reason I'm easy to find is because of my face.... bleh...

Archived