Need help in making a kit.

tosuzu

I'll be down to earth honest about gear. What?

Seriously I own a tan load bearing vest with a quick release buckle, double pistol mag pouch by Condor, and large general purpose pouch that rolls up when not in use, made by Maxpedition: http://www.maxpedition.com/store and a full face mask (forgot brand)

The one word I do know is the webbing called MOLLE which in modular.

I don't own any BDU, ACU, MARPAT and any gear I hear out there.

So is there any kit building guide? Dictionary of gear terms?

Sorry for being stupid but I really do not have much of a clue.....

P.S. I wear cargo pants and I keep my pistol in the pocket........

I'll be down to earth honest about gear. What?

Seriously I own a tan load bearing vest with a quick release buckle, double pistol mag pouch by Condor, and large general purpose pouch that rolls up when not in use, made by Maxpedition: http://www.maxpedition.com/store and a full face mask (forgot brand)

The one word I do know is the webbing called MOLLE which in modular.

I don't own any BDU, ACU, MARPAT and any gear I hear out there.

So is there any kit building guide? Dictionary of gear terms?

Sorry for being stupid but I really do not have much of a clue.....

P.S. I wear cargo pants and I keep my pistol in the pocket........

So you're the beginner's beginner? Why don't you look at a thread for a unit you're interested in and just start reading until you got an idea for what you want. Then you should ask questions in that thread.

He's got a good point Jorge. A Geardo's Dictionary is needed. I'm sick of reading through all the geardo threads (Something I enjoy doing, I really like reading the Marine thread)but when people start talking about MAP's and MBSS' then I'm lost.

A Geardo's Dictionary would be great. I'll look at it again tomorrow, I'm sick at the moment, so I should get tomorrow off school.

I'm not really a Beginner in terms of airsoft but its the fact that I don't milsim and only play at a site which doesn't offer much other then guns. I'm starting to buy gear online but SOOO many term I gotta learn.

I did read a little and IIRC someone said get full boot more support and because tennis shoes are stupid.

Most of this stuff can be google imaged and again, arnies is pretty forgiving with people asking repeated question compared to other forums.

For those wondering:

MAP- Modular Assault Pack: Pack that goes on the back of a carrier via PALS(Molle) It's primary function is as a hydration carrier but can be used to hold more stuff.

MBSS- Rare vest made by Allied Industries that's a basic plate carrier.

Well I tried searching some. Something I get my answer, other times it look like somebody was ###### and wanted to start a group. I have a M.A.P.(s) but it isn't related to gear. Its a drinking and driving prevention program that my college offers....

for me, i just kinda pick things up as i go. im still clueless on seal stuff, and alot of things confuse me (is FSBE a vest, or style of gear? are they called MOLLE loops, or PALS? etc)

building gear, for me, is probably the best part of the sport. i love doing it, but just cant afford it with more than 2 rigs!

-Joe

I'm still learning. It seems that you want like a easy to read/idiot's guide to geardoism which is near impossible because it's very long and expands/changes all the time.

I suggest www.specwargear.com which has very large lists of gear ranging anywhere from 30 years ago to last week.

IIRC Molle was the successor to PALs, but don't take my word for it.

FSBE is both a vest and a kit system (FSBE2 is like the RRV/MBSS/CIRAS...ect a big grab bag)

for me, i just kinda pick things up as i go. im still clueless on seal stuff, and alot of things confuse me (is FSBE a vest, or style of gear? are they called MOLLE loops, or PALS? etc)

building gear, for me, is probably the best part of the sport. i love doing it, but just cant afford it with more than 2 rigs!

-Joe

FSBE (Full Spectrum Battle Equipment) is a program. FSBE AAV is the vest people most commonly call "FSBE's" (you know, the woodland one used by MFR before the intoduction of Coyote Brown stuffs). FSBE 2 is the new program that is similar to the SEALS MLCS (Modular Load Carriage System

), and the Rangers RLCS (Ranger Load Carriage System), which basically allows the operator to choose what kind of rig they want out of a big kit bag, and a bunch of pouches to put on it (like Barbie, except the manly, earth tone version). The rigs included are mostly Eagle. the RRV(Rhodesion Recon Vest, which has nothing to do with Rhodesia), Eagle CIRAS (Combat Intigrated Releasable Armor System), and RBSS (Ranger Ballistic Surnival System, for the RLCS kit), and MBSS (dissicussed earlier, the Coyote Brown version is in the FSBE 2 program, and the Khaki one is in the MLCS program). These kit bags all come with pouches for radio's (MBITR's), mag pouches, frag grenades, pistol mags and many other items the soldier may need. you may have heard people in the SEAL thread talking about "OMG guys look I gots teh MLCS black buckle canteen pouch!!!!" the black buckles are important to collectors because they signify older, original, issue Eagle MLCS and go for insane prices on Ebay. There is another one of these kit bag type things known as "SFLCS" (Special Forces Load Carriage System) it is similar to hte other, but I don't know the exact specifics. How about some pics to help your mind around these concepts:

Here is a MLCS kitbag, as you can see it comes with any number of pouches for holding anything you could ever need:

MLCS Kitbag

Eagle RRV, notice the bib and how it attaches, also how it is setup in a more low profile format then say, the Eagle Plate Carrier w/ Cummberbund.

Eagle RRV

Eagle Plate Carrier w/ Cumberbund:

Eagle PC with Cumberbund

Eagle CIRAS, there are two versions, Maritime and Land. How I tell the difference is the little velcro pad and handle in the front top of the Maritime version. The Land version, doesn't have these features. both models are usecby various US military forces. they are capable of holding both soft armor, and hard SAPI plates:

Land Version:

Land CIRAS

Maritime Version:

Maritime CIRAS

MBSS Plate Carrier. a small vest, capable of carrying two SAPI (Small Arms Protective Insert) plates. Used by MFR, SEALS and others. Comes in Coyote Brown, Khaki and OD

MBSS Plate Carrier

There is also the RBSS, which is a Ranger Green (grey green color, not OD) version of the MBSS, often seen with the RLCS cumberbund added.

Paraclete RAV:

The Paraclete RAV is a vest similar to the CIRAS but has a different, zippered cumberbund design. It has been used by US Army Special forces, Green Berets, and CAG units.

FSBE AAV, used by MFR units. An older vest, one of the first with quick release capabilities, should you need to ditich the vest if you fall into water, or other situation where your life may be at risk and you need to ditich you armor.

FSBE AAV

SPEAR BALCS. Manufactured by Ceradyne, it was used by Army SF units in the beginning of Operation: Enduring Freedom. Note the verticle MOLLE loops, making pouch mounting tricky, so it was most often seen under chest rigs like Tactical Tailor MAV's and Safriland ELCS (Equipment Load Carriage System)

SPEAR BALCS

**Note They arn't always seen with the groin protector**

I think I outlined most of the vests used by units mostly emulated by airsofters. There is a shitload more, I just don't have time to show them now.

Yeah, the concept of MLCS has been around a while, but the black buckles are just an older version, the newer versions have tan buckles that have a slightly different style. While I think black buckle, older pouches are cool, there no advantage to them, they don't give you uber leet SEAL skillz or anything on the skirmish field. There just kinda cool to collect if your into that.

Yep, for us SEAL nuts, or Ranger freaks it's about details. Eagle and AI create two versions of their gear, Civilian and Military. The Mil-issue MLCS pouches are usually spotted by their different coloring, i.e pinking trim, etc, and black buckles.

RLCS, i.e ranger gear, is usually denoted by a specific MBITR pouch, cummerbund, frags, etc etc.

For those of us who are intensely detail oriented just having a different color trim on a pouch can separate it between cool and AWESOME. It's basically the seperation between having kit that functions, and admiring the history of a specific line of gear. Some of it is beyond my understanding, but learning about it is what makes it fun.

As for some kind of gear glossary, that could be done, but i don't think we can make it democratic in how it's added, as we'd have to figure out a way to filter submissions. I almost wonder if a wiki would be the best way.

i can help you with a term, and then some sensible advice.

B.D.U - battle dress uniform..... it's the clothes you are going to go shooting in. your BDU sounds like cargo pants and trainers?

to start with, buy stuff on the cheap. you can get some cheap BDU (combat clothing) off ebay and the like. the stuff won't last forever, but certainly be value for money. you should definately get some kind of boot that offers ankle support. army surpless shops (yellow pages/google) will have a stock of second hand boots. i suggest second hand cos they should be broken in already. nothing worse than having a lousy day out cos you cant move without wanting to cry!

once you have got your budget stuff, start making enquires into upgrading, you will have time to raise the cash while using your budget clothing. i can't emphesize enough the importance of a good pair of boots. if you have the money, try a pair of gore-tex boots, the will be waterproof and prevent misery on bad days! a cheaper compromise will be water proof socks

Lowa, Danner, Matterhorn and some Hi-Tech boots are awsome but pricey. google them, see what is so special about them, see what aspects you can do without and work out a boot that will be good for you.......... be warned, i find jungle type boots very comfortable cos of the fabric sides, but not very supportive or waterproof........

........ you will pick up on the slang and shorthand, but most of it is pure bull ###### and guys trying to sound cool!

if you have quereies, ask.

Archived