Pictures of yourself in the field/posing

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Explain yourself, Reejoc, lest we taunt you.

I quake with fear.

My main problem with airsoft (and the reason why I think it will never become mainstream like paintball) is the pseudo military pretension. Airsofters aren't soldiers and the guns we carry are toys. I can see the practical use of many items of kit and uniform, but I don't understand the need to pose as real members of the armed forces. By doing so you will always be second best - if you want to be a soldier, join the army.

If we took the way we look a little less seriously, then airsoft wouldn't remain the 'weirdo' sideline activity that it is often perceived to be.

Nothing to do with this thread I know, but you asked :P

Fair enough.

I don't take the way I look seriously, but I know others that do. I don't see the need to spend hundreds of pounds on gucci kit, either, but that's by the by.

You're entitled to your opinion. I personally think you're wrong, and that so long as a 'softer's attitude doesn't impinge on others at a skirmish, they can show up looking like a member of whatever unit they wish.

If they CLAIM to to have been part of that unit without adequeate supporting evidence, then there's a fair few soldiers at my site that would take issue at that. Walter Mitty don't belong here.

^ what he said.

i dont take it seriously either, and i never go near using patches, unit names numbers or anything else that might make me associated with anyone in particular.

alot of us respect/know those who serve, and if theyd had a problem with it, we wouldve already known about it by now. but they dont.

as Ghost_Rider said, any numpty who dares to pretend to be any real unit is outed sharpish..

But then those types of people would probably be doing it anyway, regardless of it being airsoft or anything else..

I quake with fear.

My main problem with airsoft (and the reason why I think it will never become mainstream like paintball) is the pseudo military pretension. Airsofters aren't soldiers and the guns we carry are toys. I can see the practical use of many items of kit and uniform, but I don't understand the need to pose as real members of the armed forces.  By doing so you will always be second best - if you want to be a soldier, join the army.

If we took the way we look a little less seriously, then airsoft wouldn't remain the 'weirdo' sideline activity that it is often perceived to be.

Nothing to do with this thread I know, but you asked  :P

I don't know of anyone taking it too seriously, unless where clear mental pathology has been diagnosed. Which needs no further comment.

I really do not agree with "be in the military if you don't want to be second". Sorry, it's really a lousy concept ;)

I know of many soldiers or ex-soldiers, including myself (Italian infantry, 7th-'91) whom enjoy it a lot because it clearly represents the best aspects of being a soldier.

You know, the equipment, your teammates, being out in the woods for the day.

The gear just adds a lot to it, the whole process of finding it, choosing it, acquiring it, waiting for it in the mail, wearing it, abusing of it and heck yes, taking lots of good pictures.

Let's never forget that the whole internet is a huge, seamingless display window.

Why not look as cool as you may?

As an ex US soldier - I had the pleasure of talking to him several times - puts it:

Airsoft is all of the best aspects of being a soldier. You get to use a lot of gear, play in the woods and meet your foes in combat, but nobody dies. You don't have to deal with pain, loss, or terror. It's a lot of fun.

Quite a few vets play Airsoft, most notably Col. Danny McNight of "Blackhawk Down" fame. In my club, we have several vets, some of whom have seen combat and some who have not.

We even have a few players who played Airsoft before they joined up, have been in combat, and have come back to play again.

Edited by Solo

whoa!!

Quite a few vets play Airsoft, most notably Col. Danny McNight of "Blackhawk Down" fame.
any pics? :)

I know of many soldiers or ex-soldiers, including myself (Italian infantry, 7th-'91) whom enjoy it a lot because it clearly represents the best aspects of being a soldier.

Absolutely! Although ive never been in the military ive had the pleasure of meeting many that have, want to, or have no interest either way.

and speaking as a creative with a military interest, airsoft is a pretty good from the aesthetics point of view...

I don't know of anyone taking it too seriously, unless where clear mental pathology has been diagnosed. Which needs no further comment.

I really do not agree with  "be in the military if you don't want to be second". Sorry, it's really a lousy concept ;)

The gear just adds a lot to it, the whole process of finding it, choosing it, acquiring it, waiting for it in the mail, wearing it, abusing of it and heck yes, taking lots of good pictures.

Let's never forget that the whole internet is a huge, seamingless display window.

As an ex US soldier - I had the pleasure of talking to him several times - puts it:

I'm not arguing about the enjoyment of playing airsoft, or the need for practical gear to enhance the game, but about people who dress up as servicemen and buy unnecessary equipment simply for show.

Because you're faking it - it's not your 'cool' to adopt, it's the attire and style of real soldiers, and their coolness is related to them being real soldiers.

Because you're faking it - it's not your 'cool' to adopt, it's the attire and style of real soldiers, and their coolness is related to them being real soldiers.

Mate: you may as well start walking naked around town then ;)

So what about re-inactors? Do you feel the same way about them?

I'd be interested in what you define as *unecessary equipement*. With the possible exception of rank slides/unit patches I can't think of a single airsoft I know who carries more kit than they have to.

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about this, and I wonder why.

I quake with fear.

My main problem with airsoft (and the reason why I think it will never become mainstream like paintball) is the pseudo military pretension. Airsofters aren't soldiers and the guns we carry are toys. I can see the practical use of many items of kit and uniform, but I don't understand the need to pose as real members of the armed forces.  By doing so you will always be second best - if you want to be a soldier, join the army.

I think you are missing the entire point of this hobby of ours being a simulation. Just like any other simulation it allows one to engage in activities that otherwise either require a certain skill or involve a certain amount of danger without actually having to posess any skill or being in any danger. Simulation allows me to dive-bomb a Japanese carrier in the pacific without actually running the risk of winding up starving from hunger and thirst while floating around in a dhingy in the middle of the ocean for days on end. Nope, if I get shot down it only takes me a flew clicks with the mouse to get me back in the cockpit again. Same goes for airsofting, at the end of the day we all go home to our comfy houses with hot showers, fresh food and warm beds. And of course that makes us second (or third, or fourth...) best, but being the best iwouldn't exavtly make it a hobby anymore.

Now how far you want to get a certain look down is a personal choice, but I dare say that it doesn't influence this discussion much. Whether you choose to run around dressed up as a member of the 82nd airborne or in jeans and T-shirt in both cases you are simulating shooting and killing an enemy. What's the diff? As you would say it, if you want to go around shooting and killing in jeans and T-shirt why not join the CIA special activities division, or the Albanian mob?

I quake with fear.

But many airsofters don't wish to join the army, they just enjoy dressing up in accurate gear an then going out and shooting the ###### out of one another.

I'm not arguing about the enjoyment of playing airsoft, or the need for practical gear to enhance the game, but about people who dress up as servicemen and buy unnecessary equipment simply for show.

There's nothing cool about being a soldier, it's a job like any other (admittedly with a few more risks).

I'll explain it the same way I explained it to my girlfriend.

"stamp collectors spends hundreds of pounds on little bits of paper they never even take out of the house. I may spend hundreds of pounds on gear, but at least I use it."

Cheers,

xRx

So what about re-inactors? Do you feel the same way about them?

I'd be interested in what you define as *unecessary equipement*. With the possible exception of rank slides/unit patches I can't think of a single airsoft I know who carries more kit than they have to.

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about this, and I wonder why.

I personally think that military re-enaction is geeky, rather a waste of time and possibly even morally reprehensible. Imagine what a WWII vet would think about a bunch of weirdos dressing up like WWII infantry to try and 're-enact' that era. Fairly insulted I'd imagine. Real war is not something to be relished and to attempt to do so is to make a mockery of those who have fought and died.

Like Solo said, airsoft represents some of the best things about being a soldier, without the pain, suffering and violence of actually fighting a war. But it doesn't give you proper military training or give you identity as a particular unit. So why adopt real costumes? Why not simply wear what is best for the job?

If I have a 'bee in my bonnet' it's because these people give airsoft a bad name and make it less socially acceptable and less popular.

Reejoc.

Our hobby involves replica guns. It is not going to be socially acceptable.

Personally, if I was in a unit being replicated, I'd be quite impressed to see some people dressing up as that unit. Would be a great conversation starter.

Sadly I think you are doomed in this discussion, as your line is "Its wrong, so don't do it." These people are not re-enacting war, they are re-enacting the people.

edit:

"Giving us a bad name"

Joe Public sees guys in camo.

Airsofter sees a re-enactor next to a guy in basic kit.

Edited by joeking27
If I have a 'bee in my bonnet' it's because these people give airsoft a bad name and make it less socially acceptable and less popular.

I - highly respctfully - disagree again mate.

But I know what you mean. The bulls. I hate th bulls too you know.

But the bulls ar also dressed simpler mate, personal experince.

It's about the attitude, not the dress mate (which is, the other side of the story of your point of view).

On a side note, regarding reenactors: you'd be surprised by how many vets have enjoyed and still enjoy majorly reenactment. When conducted properly, but that applies to anything.

Just an example, yesterday: a major reenactment has been done in Russia, with thousands of people. A real succes, with vets in tears.

There are other reasons for us buying the real kit.

It's what WORKS. High speed low drag.

An SOE vest or HSGI chestrig will be far more manuverable, easier to use and generally better than some *suitcasey* milforce black omega copy. And of course, heaps better than cramming mags into bdu pockets. :).

I own a 6004 SLS holster for my MK23. Why? The gun itself cost me £200 as it's a custom, and do you really think I'd scrimp on a holster? I'd rather not have it fall apart on me and then the gun fall to it's untimely doom.

The realdeal stuff is just so durable that you can just never worry about needing a new vest unless you want more. :)

I personally think that military re-enaction is geeky, rather a waste of time and possibly even morally reprehensible. Imagine what a WWII vet would think about a bunch of weirdos dressing up like WWII infantry to try and 're-enact' that era. Fairly insulted I'd imagine. Real war is not something to be relished and to attempt to do so is to make a mockery of those who have fought and died.

Well, from my knowledge of it, I think a lot of veterans want younger generations to learn about the war, so we don't grow up dumb enough to repeat the mistakes.

But it doesn't give you proper military training or give you identity as a particular unit. So why adopt real costumes? Why not simply wear what is best for the job?

Erm....Airsoft is used in a lot of cases as a training aid. And you still haven't answered my question. For example;

For urban, I own a set of US Desert camo, assault vest, kneepads and 'delta' helmet. I look remarkeably like an extra from blackhawk down, and yet all these things I wear because they are useful. Am I imitating a soldier then?

Frankly sir, I believe the only thing that would give our hobby a bad name is close minded bigots like yourself. I mean, at least FCUKairsoft had the decency to be agressive about it, instead of snide comments in an unrelated thread.

You have no friends here sir, and you will find no supporters for your argument. Have a nice day.

With the possible exception of rank slides/unit patches I can't think of a single airsoft I know who carries more kit than they have to.

so those 3 pistols, 2 AEGs and shotgun are all completely necessary :P

But yes reejoc, stop stirring it, youre clearly just seeking attention now

so those 3 pistols, 2 AEGs and shotgun are all completely necessary :P

Fair point. But for the purpose of this thread I wouldn't count that as kit, but weapons. I'd be carrying those if I was wearing a neon hockey shirt like the paintballers do. (heaven forfend!)

Besides, having that many guns isn't necessary....but it's bloody good fun ;)

Edited by Ghost_Rider
Well, from my knowledge of it, I think a lot of veterans want younger generations to learn about the war, so we don't grow up dumb enough to repeat the mistakes.

Erm....Airsoft is used in a lot of cases as a training aid. And you still haven't answered my question. For example;

For urban, I own a set of US Desert camo, assault vest, kneepads and 'delta' helmet. I look remarkeably like an extra from blackhawk down, and yet all these things I wear because they are useful. Am I imitating a soldier then?

Frankly sir, I believe the only thing that would give our hobby a bad name is close minded bigots like yourself. I mean, at least FCUKairsoft had the decency to be agressive about it, instead of snide comments in an unrelated thread.

You have no friends here sir, and you will find no supporters for your argument. Have a nice day.

There's a difference between learning from history and replicating it.

No you are not pretending to be a soldier just because you look like one.

Obviously real military kit is often best for the job.

This all has little to do with the discussion, which is about an attitude which, as anyone who has every played airsoft will know, does exist.

I developed my argument because you asked me to. But since you are incapable of understanding my point, let alone rebutting it, we should probably leave it here.

(and Ubar, defending an argument is not attention seeking)

This all has little to do with the discussion, which is about an attitude which, as anyone who has every played airsoft will know, does exist.

Um. Yeah. Today's lesson folks, how to change tack when you're losing.

And get this, dressing up is not replicating history.