Building an USMC M16A4

Reborn

With my M733 "Blood Diamond Special" project drawing to a close, I'm looking into getting started on another project. As I have switched venues since my move to Southern California, I figured that a PMC kit with an M16A4 as its center piece would be appropriate.

I plan on using a G&P M16A4 as the base rifle and run it on an 8.4V large battery and 130-round magazines.

For optics, I'm looking into ACOG replicas - the G&P 4x version looks promising. I know that it is magnified - are the crosshairs illuminated?

http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airs...il?prodID=19439

The G&P already comes with a vertical foregrip, RAS system, and some rail covers. For now, all I want aside from the aforementioned is a BUIS rear sight. In the future, though, I might get a replica AN/PEQ unit with a working light and visible laser for night ops. Any suggestions would be very welcome.

pretty much your good to go, however i dont think the ARMS #40 BUIS would be accurate, most of the pics I have most Marines dont have BUIS, but If you plan to get one, get this one:

specials-BUISsight1.jpg

not sure what its called though sorry

also, one of the new AN/PEQ-15's would be good too

I've got the G&P ACOG, and it's quite sturdy. However, I do have two complaints about it.

The crosshairs are actually quite small, compared to that of other scopes. Unless they're just made that way.

And second, I'm not too sure if it's just mine, but it seems like the lens optics aren't entirely aligned properly or something. The reason I mention this is because it sometimes looks like there's a semi circle kind of line in the middle of the scope when looking through it. It's not that bad, but it's just noticeable. You guys probably don't know what I mean, but it doesn't matter! =p

^ you are referring to the TA11 version. the TA31 version (which i have 2 of) has larger reticle, and no problems, in my opinion, aside from the eye relief not being the best. but it a GREAT optic. it is NOT illuminated.

all i would suggest would be a TA31 ACOG, AN/PEQ-2A or similar (G&P makes a FANTASTIC functioning version that i have) and rail covers. a BUIS is completely unnecessary, but if you must, i suggest the version pictured above.

mine:

0803081632.jpg

0803081635a.jpg

-Joe

I've got nothing to say to help you make your gun more accurate to the real deal, but I just want to tell you that you should order your gun through airsoftadvantage's WGCshop special order service.

The gun will come later, but it will end up costing you about only $330 shipped. And yes, they do not remove the trades when you order it this way.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I'm going to go with the following for now:

- G&P M16A4 (with M5 RAS installed)

- G&P vertical foregrip (included)

- G&P rail covers

- G&P TA31 ACOG (4X, not illuminated)

- Stock-mounted spare magazine pouch (khaki)

The AN/PEQ unit'll come when funds allow and circumstances demands it.

Everybody has an M4 and/or an AK, right?

I prefer having a bit of extra reach and the M16A4 seems like a reasonable platform for such a job. Besides, aren't Blackwater operatives using M16A4s for DMR duty in Iraq?

From a practical point of view, an M16A4 enjoys the benefit of having the support of a wide range of aftermarket parts and accessories. Also, being an Airsoft replica means that it doesn't suffer from reliability issues associated with the direct impingement system as the real steel version does. Finally, I'm a fairly large man (6'4", 210 pounds), so carrying and using such a rifle is not a problem.

masakarijoe - your M16A4 is the G&P version I want to get, right?

the gas infringement system is NOT "unreliable"... it just requires much cleaning. in reality, the M16A4 MWS is a FANTASTIC weapon system.

anyway, yes, my rifle is exactly what you referenced, with a few of my accessories. and im a fairly small man (5'9 145lbs) and i carry that beast above :D

-Joe

How is the performance of your M16A4? I have a G&P MBK installed on my TM M733 and I found the HOP unit to be inadequate. What replacements/upgrades do you recommend to insure performance and reliability?

I'm not going to argue about direct impingement - I respect your opinion.

These new gen G&P units are just fine. My new gen Mk18 Mod0 is stock when it comes to the bucking and unit and it shoots straight, hard and accurately. If you get the new black geared unit, you are going to be fine. The older blue ones are a bit weaker.

The G&P M16A4 is a beast btw, gotta buy one myself too next summer. :)

How is the performance of your M16A4? I have a G&P MBK installed on my TM M733 and I found the HOP unit to be inadequate. What replacements/upgrades do you recommend to insure performance and reliability?

performance is fantastic. ive done NOTHING to it aside from a new bucking, nub, and a tightbore. and my hop is of the older blue version.

ROF is unreal; about 850 RPM, just like the real thing, on a 9.6.

i dont recommend any internal upgrades. mine shoots 375 stock with .20s

I'm not going to argue about direct impingement - I respect your opinion.

oh, no worries, i wasnt arguing... but being that ive fired real M16s, i find that the system, while definitely inferior to more modern systems, still does its job, and is very reliable if you put the effort into cleaning.

-Joe

masarakijoe:

That M16A4 looks incredible. What M5 RAS and M203 are you using? G&P?

I have a SAM-R setup on an AEG right now that I want to transfer over to one of these new WE guys whenever I can, and I might just have to blatantly copy your setup.

sure :P

but the complete rifle is a G&P.

as far as moving to a WE, make sure its what you want to do! ive had enough with the fickle trend of gas not working in anything but perfect temperatures. but i have ZERO experience with any gas rifle. good luck

-Joe

I'm going to see about the WE, wait a few months.

Since the AEG already has an FN lower, A2 stock, etc, I was going to make that the A4/203, sort of a cold weather backup if I ever need one.

Archived