FPS limits for sniper rifles

ARadam6696

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
exactly. The worst thing is kids just try and get a gun thats shooting as fast as possible within their budget, no matter what role their playing.

BINGO!

What's with this craze about maxing a site's FPS limit? At my local site, it's 400 for everything, a few people I know want to push it as much as possible, where I'm fine with a 325 fps gun. The only thing I think higher FPS's are useful for is if you want to use heavier bbs without trying some incredible correction for drop...

Well, if you think about it, the only way it could be the guns fault is if you cocked the thing and the bolt assembley flew out and smacked someone in the face, or if it discharged itself.

Everything else falls under the catagory of 'User Error'...

Ben.

If someone is firing a rifle above 400fps my friends and I require 2 things, first that the sniper have a dedicated spotter with a gun at or below 400fps and second that both of them are skilled at using mil-dot scopes to estimate range; we then calculate a med based on the size and weight of the bbs being used and the performance of the rifle on gameday (I live in texas were its hot all year long and almost everyone uses gas sniper rifles) and make sure that they use mil-dot scopes in game. This has worked flawlessly and allows us alot of freedom when it comes to upgrading our guns.

my 2 cents ;)

i find the only reason for upping fps above 350 ish, is either to give you a SMALL increase in range with heavier bb's (like another 10-15 metres) and it increases the damage done by a lot. they simply cut through brush better with few other advantages

EDIT : this is for aegs sorry

I would say:

400 for AEG's

450 for Semi AEG's

550 for bolt action's

And I really like the idea of having 18 and under players have to shoot under, say 350 FPS, because they often don't understand the power of their gun or the fact that high FPS isn't worth it.

My DMR shoots at 460 and IMO it really isn't worth it. Airsoft is about comrodery and fun, and getting bleeding welts isn't fun.

Uh, I have to disagree with you on the undr 18 thing. I belive that if the player is new, then yes, but if he demonstrates maturity, then why not let him play with a faster shooting gun?

Yeah, I hate being thrown into the 'Under 18 means they are completly stupid and have no common sence' catagory.

Yes, I understand that there are people under 18 who do display those characteristics, but I don't think all of us should be restricted.

The gun itself is shooting 620 with .2s. Ive thought about the subject a little bit and think that a mandatory secondary weapon should be nessesary for snipers. Most of the time you will never be shooting under 100 feet to hit someone. To test we let a few people try to pull the gun back and noone that tried the first time could. So any thought of those "noob snipers" went out of the window right then. I still believe that most people are ignorant to what high fps rifles really are. I moved onto snipers because I got tired of AEG play being too easy. I first started sniping and played with a stock l96 anwith .25 ammo but at only 450-500fps they are horrifically under powered competing against 400 fps rifles. Also I have to bring up the fact that at 100 feet you are still well within the engagement range of an AEG. So in my opinion they are fine for play. In the summer(alaskan winter right now) I'll try to get a video of me shooting at 300 feet and beyond for those that dont believe.

I was talking about Fox13's post. Not Thrashers.

Aha, my apologies :)

Aradam brings up an interesting point and probably goes off into a whole other argument (that of should different levels of AEG have different FPS limits) but it also makes me realise how, balanced you could say, the FPS rules in the UK are, leaving the effective ranges of _typical_ AEGs and sniper rifles at about 30m and 60m respectively so even when a sniper has opponents sniffing around their MED, even if they are discovered they are at the mercy of the marksmanship skills and combat drills of their opponents, depending on the experiance of the players on both that can lead to some pretty interesting game play.

That said, theres always going to be some in both camps that will have their weapons check past the chrono but through a lot lot of tinkering skill will get a 350fps AEG hitting torsoes at 50m and a 500fps sniper reaching out to 90m, its when that sort of player has both a thorough knowledge of how their weapon performs and a good degree of ability in the skills needed for sniping that FPS to a degree becomes a moot point

+1 ARadam6696 ... a second weapon of your own chosing is important .... one that is not high FPS and to be used in those short range situations....

.... Responsibility is each and everyone's to take charge of at the end of the day. In the absense of us all taking responsibility, we have to accept rules ... rules which never work entirely for everyone but we all compromise and accept because we want to be responsible ..... if only we all were responsible enough to begin with ....

I appreciate being allowed to use a very powerful gun in comparison to some of my friends .... because I have earned their trust. That means something to me. I started off with a 370 FPS ..... I didn't go straight in with a 620 FPS.

Apologies if this comes across rant like .... I've just has this thread for a conversation with a ... someone really risk adverse! :flamed:

Good Hunting

• 2 weeks later...

in all honestly i feel horrible for the airsofters in the UK. around here in virginia the fps limit for sniper rifles are about 550fps which is just fine because the internals for any rifle would have to be replaced on a normal basis if you are shooting above that. i have no idea how UK snipers can outrange their aeg counterparts and still hit them effectively

Well with that kind of mentality you might as well just use a pistol. I think that a sniper rifle should have longer range than your average assualt rifle. Along with proper concealment and whatever else you think is nessesary it should make a nice long range package. Thats why I got into sniping. The point of this thread however is to determine what fps is reasonable. Since most people dont engage under 50-100 feet I can see that its quite resonable for 650fps. A sidearm should be fine for any close encounter under that.

Heh, perhaps I'm just a cynic but I'd like to see it empirically tested if there is indeed a significant range benefit between 500fps and 550.

I personally think that the limits are just right in the UK for both AEGs and snipers but my opinion when it comes to FPS is that if the weapon in question chronoes at the legal limit with the hop set for max effective range and is not obviously set to get past the chrono then I don't think it is unreasonable to have a rifle which chronoes 550fps w/.2s hop off, and then by the time it is tuned to hit a torso sized target at 70m the thing is doing 300fps with .4s (which roughly equates to 410fps w/.2s)

Without wishing to cause offence it would be interesting to take a team of airsofters from the US and pit them against a team from the UK in both urban and woodland settings first with a set of upgraded 'UK spec' AEGs/Snipers, then reverse roles with the teams playing with as equally upgraded US spec guns and see which team did better. Just seems from the attitudes put across in the last couple of posts that to me it wouldn't be at all surprising if the the UK team did better due to being less reliant on FPS to acheive range.

This isn't to tar all US players with the same brush but is more aimed at the general notion world wide that FPS is everything in some groups. While FPS is a relatively important factor in range it isn't the be all and end all.

I think that would be somewhat flawed because Uk airsofters are used to engaging targets at the 328 fps range while US airsofters are used to the 400 fps or lower. So essentially its the same because both are used to playing at set ranges, the UK airsofters would have no advantage what so ever. It all comes down to the skill of the player. Think of it this way. Both sides have guns shooting 328. Do they develop a certain skill because of their fps? No. They are used to fighting at the 328 engagement range, just like US airsofters are used to the 400 fps engagement range. Although in the end it would come down to the player not the weapon.

Archived