CA P90 Sportline mini review.

greg

Hello,

Just got hold of a CA P90 sportline, thought I'd share my initial thoughts:

The box was good 'cos it had a handle, so I could pick it up with one hand. It came with a battery, charger, & protector spex that are no good to me, so will go in the bin. I wish they would knock a fiver off the price & junk this stuff,,,,,,come on. <_<

It also came with a hi-cap, which maybe useful & 500 bb's labeled 'Advanced Precision',,,,,, we'll see! :huh:

The one I got was the TR, from AA & I believe they retail about £130. Unlike the TM, it didn't come with a silencer. (On a side note, that silencer TM give you with a TR is poo & probably represents about £25.)

Any how, it's black plastic & the body is kind of more textured (matt) than a TM with a few blemishes & CA trades. Solid enough though & the false allen screw heads look very real. The mag is also more textured than the TM.

Chronoes 325-330fps with .2's, 5" groups at 20m (as per TM). Rof is good, no real way to measure or compare, but the same as similar 1 jule guns (more on that later). The mag (despite what the haters say) feeds fine, as per TM. I strip 'em, give 'em a wipe over with a silicon rag, then when loading, give 'em a right good shake.....No probs.

Taking it apart reveals similar (if not the same) as the TM. It strips as per the TM, front comes off to get at the barrel, box comes straight out of the back (2 screws).

This revealed the anodized blue barrel, blue cylinder & (horrible looking) blue plastic (nylon?) gear bushes.

Comparing the box next to a TM, the metal is kind of patchy, & plastic switch housing is less shiny. Otherwise it looks the same, except the middle gear bushing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hallelujah, CA have done away with that dodgy oval gear bush in favor of a standard round one. So, fingers crossed, when the time comes, I can drop in some stock 6mm bearings. :D

I haven't split the box yet, (give me a chance, I only got it yesterday!) but looking through the holes I can tell ya the gears are kind of scalloped light weight type & the piston is black. :huh:

I ripped out the wire & replaced it with one of 'Infected's' AB fets, heavy wire & deans connectors. Running a Flight Power Evo30 7.4v, 2000mah, 30C (which fits nicely in the battery compartment) gave similar rof to other 1 jule guns of a similar state, measured at 1700rpm.

It does do that horrible 'donggggggggggg' thing every now & then, when fired on semi. This isn't prominent, but I've noticed it on guns before & don't like it. It gives me the colly-wobbles & I'm sure herralds doom. :D

Oh, & the motor height needed adjusting; in a bit. :D

Plans are to up the spring to get 350 & 'Hydrographic' / (dynomat) silence the body, lalax barrel, then run it to destruction & replace bits as they go bang!

That's all folks. I'll let you know when it blows up.

Greg.

PS, as a TM is now retailing between £200 & £280 (Effin Wolf! :rolleyes: ) in the UK, I'd say this is a bit of a bargain. ;)

I also have one of these; won it at a raffle from one of the local OP's.

For the pricepoint CA is trying to meet, it isn't a bad replica. There are the obvious seam lines on the plastic, and the battery is marginal. But they do get points for including the battery and charger - again, trying to keep up with what is offered with a clone AEG. Not sure how well it would take to upgrades, I'm planning on leaving it stock for the rare CQB games we have.

I have the CA P90 Red Dot Sportline pre-upgraded from Land Warrior (which i presume means something internal, as the barrel is the same, along with power and ROF).

So far, the gun has done me damn proud, coping well at Woodland and Urban games.

Yes, the quality of the plastic on it isn't the best (seams and i chipped the upper reciever), but for the price, it's easily comparable, if not considerably better than other Chinese replicas at the same point (my JG M4CQB died before I even took it skirmishing so I got the P90 as a replacement).

As i'm fairly new to internals I haven't stripped it down, so i can't comment on that.

Compared to a friends TM P90, the CA P90 is probably equal in terms of performance (after the TM had been upgraded to 328fps).

(after the TM had been upgraded to 328fps).

For me, this is the whole point.

328, out of the box, same accuracy as the tm, not sure about range or durability yet, only time will tell. Sure the TM is good, but you do pay for that & then you have to pay again, to get it up to 328! :mellow:

Greg.

I'm interested to know why you would 'have' to pay to have a TM P90 upgraded to 328, or any TM gun for that matter?

Surely its better, and cheaper to just learn to adapt your playing style so you are not reliant on fps ;)

1, I'm interested to know why you would 'have' to pay to have a TM P90 upgraded to 328, or any TM gun for that matter?

2, Surely its better, and cheaper to just learn to adapt your playing style so you are not reliant on fps ;)

1, I didn't state that you have to UPGRADE. Please re-read my post, I was pointing out, that if you chose to raise the TM fps, to 328fps (the same as the CA), you will "have to PAY". Even if it's just a tenner for a spring & you do the work yourself, it still drives the like for like, over all cost, up. ;)

2, Now here's a thing, I agree that fps is nothing compared to skill. But if everyone else is as skilled as you, with equally well sorted guns, & you are running 50 or 60fps less than other players, you will struggle. :mellow:

You may of course enjoy that struggle. The choice is yours. :D

Greg.

Not really, my first TM G3 SG1 had been running at 260fps for a year before i ever got it chronoed and i never found i had any problems with it range wise, according to SYAs madbull chrono my MP5 SD3 was doing 245fps (265fps on my chrono) and i was still matching the range of the armalites on the field and didn't get taken out untill they called in someone with an M14 :D

Not really, my first TM G3 SG1 had been running at 260fps for a year before i ever got it chronoed and i never found i had any problems with it range wise, according to SYAs madbull chrono my MP5 SD3 was doing 245fps (265fps on my chrono) and i was still matching the range of the armalites on the field and didn't get taken out untill they called in someone with an M14 :D

Agreed, me & Superman give everyone a regular thrashing at 350fps games, armed with nothing more than 245fps mp7's & pee shooters................................... ;) The mp7 is very under rated, bb's go straight as an arrow for 30m. Problem is, the bloke at 30m with 350fps. His bb's hit me, while mine were still on the way. He stepped to one side & like a scene out of the matrix etc, etc. :unsure: My gun & skills were superior, but I'm on the way to a regen.

Any how, we can have a thread dedicated to 'does fps really matter', but as said, I wasn't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,oh I wont bother repeating again. :P

Greg.

PS. I have a mate (no, not Superman :rolleyes: ) who has a sub 300fps TM mac which can easily hit man-size targets at 60m. Problem is, no one stands still long enough to get hit. :D

PPS. I'm gonna do it. General discussion; 'Does FPS matter?'

Why do people always focus on fps and overlook the HUGE importance of a good hop-up unit, nub and rubber?

Yes fps matters to a degree but a good hop setup will mean you WILL outrange someone with 400fps and a bad one.

Anyway the ONLY thing putting me off the Sportline P90 (besides CA's spotty QA recently) is the lack of metal, which the clones offer for a similar, if not lower price.

Anyway the ONLY thing putting me off the Sportline P90 (besides CA's spotty QA recently) is the lack of metal, which the clones offer for a similar, if not lower price.

Yep, there is very little metal here, even on the inside. :D

Greg.

Greg you bugger, have been trying to ignore p90's but you've got me looking at them again :P

By the way, how does the ca compare to the acm jobbies?

PPS. I'm gonna do it. General discussion; 'Does FPS matter?'

I will bite at this... Yes fps matters, otherwise why would people sacrifice autofire for single shot snipers...150fps difference ;)

1, Greg you bugger, have been trying to ignore p90's but you've got me looking at them again :P

2, By the way, how does the ca compare to the acm jobbies?

3, I will bite at this... Yes fps matters, otherwise why would people sacrifice autofire for single shot snipers...150fps difference ;)

1, You know you want to. ;)

2, Don't know, ain't seen one yet. :D

3, Not here, not here, go to Gen Disc, knock your self out.

I love mine. I've been looking for a 'new' 90 for a while. Got two 90's already, both TM based; 1 sub300fps highspeeder & a 425 semi only sniper. Chalk & cheese on the inside but a pair of beauties.

This one should end up a lightweight 350 forest gun for places like GZ where you can spend all day in the bushes on your knees. :blink:

Er, did I just say,,,,,,,,,,,,, :o

You know what I mean. :rolleyes:

So hydrographic Hardwoods green with an aim-rep & shorty silencer to match, a gun that's easy to crawl with. But packs a punch.

Dynomat & anything else to keep it quiet...........(P90's are great to keep quiet, they even have silent hi-caps -_- ) how did the A.R.L. thing go? :huh:

Greg.

how did the A.R.L. thing go

Haven't done it yet - am waiting for a couple of fet's to turn up from infected before taking the gun to bits (again)

1, You know you want to.
I know, I know...but times are hard :( and the wife looks funny at me every time a new box turns up :( :(

Saying that though...have another mk23 in the post for a little skunkworks project ;)

Haven't done it yet - am waiting for a couple of fet's to turn up from infected before taking the gun to bits (again)

I know, I know...but times are hard :( and the wife looks funny at me every time a new box turns up :( :(

Saying that though...have another mk23 in the post for a little skunkworks project ;)

I love Infecteds AB fets, I've had about 15 in the last 2 years.

I Made up a few of AI's Project Aries ones the other day (40A non AB), they seem ok, but the spec is lower, the resisters are larger & my workmanship (though pretty good) ain't a patch on his.

The week pound made me give it a go. That, an RS account with £50 credit to be used by year end (March) & a rainy Day. :D

Components came to £2.30 per unit + wire/shrink & about an hour. Each. Heck it was raining so I had nothing else to do. :(

To be honest, I'll just order the next lot from Infected again. :rolleyes:

Still,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,at £130 & 380fps, I can see why you are interested in the ACM. Mmmmmmmm, 7mm bearings & a metal receiver? On paper, it looks better than the CA. The quoted 800rpm could be easilly improved with a good bat, wire, fet, weaker spring etc.

Greg.

As said, I wanted to get this gun to about 350fps & it came in around the 1 jule mark.

I dropped in two new barrels with a Mad Bull 'Blue' hop rubber & chronoed:

Stock barrel & stock rubber= 325-330fps.

Lalax 6.03x247mm & Madbull rubber= 333-338fps.

Madbull 6.03x363mm & Madbull rubber = 347-353fps.

That'll do nicely & fit in a socom silencer, so 350fps, & haven't even had to open the gearbox! :D Yet. <_<

Greg.

• 3 weeks later...

So, opened the gearbox to find a black placky piston & head, with absolutely no tooth damage. :huh: A linear spring & black placky, non-bearing guide.

The cylinder was kind of well lubed, as were the gears. A little too much for my liking but better than none at all.

I was astounded to find that the shimming was spot on.

The gears are a mixture, (I don't know the correct terms) the first & second from the motor are branded with CA & look like good quality steel. However the one that winds the piston back is a light gray colour & looks a bit dodgy. I have left them in at the moment to see how they do.

I have changed the top end (piston/head, cylinder/head, spring/guide, nozzle) to see what happens. First off, the annoying 'donggggg' sound on semi has gone. I'll let you know chrono results asap.

Bad News:

The dodgey looking blue plastic bushes had better be good. I was going to replace them with metal (having used an M100 spring) BUT, they ain't 6mm,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or 7. I couldn't measure them but I would guess 5.5mm, ish. So replacement could be a pain.

Good News:

The axle spacing is as per ver 2/3. Unlike the .3mm offset on other P90's, .

Greg.

So, with a systema M100 spring & nozzle & Promy guide, type d cylinder/head, piston/head, we now chrono 360 with a MB 247mm barrel & 370 with a 363.

The inclusion of a systema turbo has given a much healthier rof.

The original was a CA 'high torque, made in Hong Kong'. Which weren't bad, but not as fast as the sys.

Fingers crossed those dodgey blue nylon bushes will take it.

It will probably end up with a 300mm barrel, so that the silencer can do some 'hushing'.

Get the body/receiver back from Hydrographics next week. Might try to do pics.

Greg.

• 1 month later...
ive just put into my tm p90, an extended barrel (non tightbore), an aluminium piston head, and a m110.

dont know what it will do till its cronod or how long it will last any ideas

Er, is everything else stock?

If so, all I can say is, er, it wont last for ever. Theory is, not long at all, but Marui may surprise you, especially if the rate of fire is kept sensible.

If we are running a sweep on the power, my money is on 370-380fps. :D

Most importantly, Why?

What are you trying to achieve?

Greg.

shoulda have added some metal bushings, cause if i remember rightly the stock tm has nylon bushings

It does, but I did a thread on this recently & I'm not convinced they are that week.

Some of the respondents reported running nylon bushes for years & tens of thousands of shots on m100's, without any sign of problems.

Greg.

Archived