Has Anyone Tried This?

fr3sh

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No matter what shape you make a projectile (at 'normal' Airsoft velocities), you won't better the performance of a back-spinning BB.

Any other spherical or cylindrical projectile fired (on the level) from any weapon, will hit the ground in the same amount of time as one simply dropped from the same height.

We've all seen how soon a BB fired with no hop at all hits the deck.

Gravity drags any projectile earthwards at the same rate, whether it's stationary, or doing 10000fps.

You can put a tail or fins on it, make it spin (longitudinally), or anything else, it won't make any difference to how quickly it loses height.

Only a back-spinning ball creates lift to delay it's unavoidable drop to earth.

Having said that, a frisbee type projectile would be interesting to experiment with.

Those foam disc shooter toys have way more range than they should given the measly velocity they shoot at, and the lightness of the discs.

So would something like those X-Zylo flying rings that create lift and seem to defy gravity, would be a bit like those ring-rounds(?) from The Splinter Cell games.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright, I have an idea!

We all agree on the fact that HOP-UP is essential.

I did some simulations using an airsoft ballistics calculator to figure out whats better- hop-up or aiming higher, and hop-up wins every time.

So we can't back-spin an aerodynamic projectile, but maybe we can get the lift in a different manner?

I mean, hop-up works by creating a back-spin, which produces lift (Bernoulli or Coriolis effect, one of the two).

Maybe we can archive lift by shaping the BB like an airplane wing?

The projectile will need to be fed with the correct side up (precisely or it will curve), and will need fins to keep that side up during the flight.

Attached is a little idea, maybe by cutting a grove on the top of the projectile the turbulence will create lift.

The problem is, the projectile weight and grove depth\shape will have to be calculated and adjusted for a specific speed:

If the projectile is moving to fast it will climb, too slow it will drop, just like with normal hop, but u cant adjust this one by turning a screw...

thoughts?

lift.jpg

I'm pretty sure that creating turbulence on a wing doesn't create lift. In fact, on planes, from 747's to RC planes, spoilers are used to eliminate lift on wings by creating turbulence.

Yes, thats true on an airplane wing with a more "conventional" aerodynamic shape. (spell checker ..why don't u work?!? :D)

Turbulance can create lift-

Lift is created when there is more pressure on the bottom of the wing then at the top,

If the turbulance slows down the air at the top it will create lift.

Thats actually how bees fly.

I'm still thinking about it though, maybe it will be better to create a projectile shaped like an airplane wing instead of this turbulance idea, but the concept remains the same:

A micro airplane.

Edit:

And dont forget the awefull, awefull problems we'll have with magazines, loading, and keeping the projectil "right side up" in the barrel...

We may have to use square barrels!

Archived