Compressing spring on full auto

Wutang

Title says it all. I'm going to an op with 400 fps limit and according to the last op I was at, my gun wasis shooting around 420 on a broken in Guarder SP120 spring. I decided to compress the spring using full auto and waiting for the spring to weaken. About how long should I wait? Thanks.

With a low quality spring out of a clone gun, it would only take a week or so to lose some significant FPS. However with a good quality metal (I'm sure guarder uses good material) It could take a bit longer. I'd compress it and check it every couple days. I've heard stories of PDI springs not losing FPS even up to a months time compressed, which is all attributed to the quality of the spring, I couldn't imagine it taking more than a month to lose 20 fps though, even with a PDI quality spring.

I don't see how a properly made spring could use it's elasticity even if you had it compressed for a decade. It's all a myth. Repeated compression and decompression will have more effect.

I don't see how a properly made spring could use it's elasticity even if you had it compressed for a decade. It's all a myth. Repeated compression and decompression will have more effect.

Quoted for truth!

A properly made spring can remain compressed for a very long time and not suffer in the slightest. Its use that breaks a spring in. Not leaving compressed. Most springs need use to take their "set" so to speak. Normally after a couple of thousand rounds a spring will take its set and FPS will settle down slightly. Or other parts in the gearbox take a set. Either way you are not going to loose much more from that SP120.

You are most likely going to need to change to a different spring or change the spring guide etc.

I would put in an SP110 myself.

SCIENCE!

If you want to reliably upgrade/downgrade a gun, change or chop the spring. Compressing it, firing it lots, putting warpaint on and dancing round it at the equinox.... these things are all mostly superstition, and extremely unreliable.

Change the spring.

I'd imagine a lot of the fps loss you hear about comes down to poor quality piston head o-rings more than anything else, all of my guns where fps has dropped has been down to o-rings (Any guns i have that arent TM in other words).

Springs are cheap, buy a new one and sort it out properly. Putting wear on your gun and wasting bbs seems like a pointless and wastefull way of doing it, you'll probably end up spending more on the bbs than a spring would cost infact ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived