Airsoft Hand Grenade

DEVILHUNTER

AIRSOFT HAND GRENADE

Features:

• Works with gas.

• Refilliable.

• Activation by impact.

• 122 bbs.

• Throws the bbs to the 92% of the spherical surface.

Some years ago, I thought a system for airsoft grenade with this features, except the activation by timer. Even I did a video wich explain how it works:

(Yeah, I know, the video is awful)

The problem is that design and build a timer valve is very hard. When this chinesse grenade appeared, I thought that the simplest design to copy was the valves of the 40mm grenades.

moscartvalve01.gif

Photos (in the grenade’s body, it is missing the rubber pieces that holds the bbs):

exterior.jpg

exteriorcortado.jpg

interiorcortado.jpg

Operating system:

1-When you pull the ring, the valve is free to be pushed.

posicion1.jpg

2-When the valve hits the floor (if the stroke is not in the first time, it will be in nexts rebounds) the bearings released.

posicion2.jpg

3-When the bearings are released, they are pushed toward the center of the piston, that because of the gas pressure, rise up. When the piston rise above the holes, the gas is released and the bbs are thrown.

posicion3.jpg

I have the doubt if the gas has enough pressure to throw the bbs. The grenade’s body can be made of polyurethane resin, that resist very well the strokes. Another option is the rubber, like the chinese model.

Suggestions?

Sorry about my bad English.

I would have thought that rubber would absorb the impact more successfully than resin, but one thing I'm confused of, is how much force is required to initiate the 'detonator' / valve? because if it doesn't hit immediately, then on a rebound there may not be much force, resulting in no 'detonation'.

You could also have a mechanism that would be knocked out of place with sufficient force instead of the green mechanism so it could be guaranteed to explode if hit from any direction. And that would not be effected if the grenade was rubber not resin.

I have the doubt if the gas has enough pressure to throw the bbs.

Oh it most certainly will. That valve system adopted from the now common 40mm grenade opens very rapidly and will have more than enough pressure to blow those bbs past 250fps each. What concerns me is the rather small chance of actually hitting the valve. For safety reasons, airsoft grenades are rolled rather than thrown to minimize any injuries one might sustain from it.

But before that, I suggest installing a pull ring, like normal grenades should, to avoid the accidental activation of the device while its still on you.

On the whole, I'm quite impressed with how much work you've put into this idea. The pictures are great (I'd like to know what CAD software you're using, too). Relying on the button being pressed for detonation seems to be the only problem.

Why not "flip it upside down" - Well, it's not exactly that simple, of course. Why not have the plunger sink into the grenade body soon after the pin is pulled, using a spring like this? To minimize the chances of it detonating in hand, a spoon similar to those on real grenades could hold the plunger in the "Up" position once the pin is pulled. Once thrown, the spoon would fly off, allowing the mechanism to sink down into the grenade, detonating it. Sort of a mix between the original design, and the newer design, without the gas timer system.

EDIT: If you made the spoon right, the downward force from the spring would cause it to fly off once you let go of the grenade, after the pin is pulled. Can you imagine that attached to a trip-wire? Finally a good airsoft trip-mine.

This is a very well thoughtout plan. Any idea on pricing? :huh:

Yeah, you build it, I'll buy it. I think out of all the airsoft grenade designs (both concept and actually manufactured) this seems the most innovative yet... realistic? At the very least it'll give us a good baseball type grenade for matches :D

As this relies on landing on the right spot for detonation, I don't rate it.

First, it means you can't roll it.

Second, it may not go off at all.

So, change the method of detination & I'd love it. ;)

Greg.

Problem is, the only physical timer that can be implemented in such a small space is an overpressure valve, which becomes very erratic depending on temperature especially if its to be a reusable one as oil can really mess up timing when added into the mix. *points at AI Tornado*

Now, if someone were to put together a solenoid valve, a 12V A23 battery, and a small 555 timer IC board... well, you'd need grenades the size of a steilhandgranate.

Of course the grenade will had a safety pull ring.

The software I had used is AutoCAD.

I thought in putting it a spoon, but I rejected it becase it had no advantage to the impact activation.

By the time, this is a design more than a project. I don't have time to put in prototypes.

This grenade can't be rolled, but when I say "throw the grenade" I don't mean throw with all your strength. It's thought for cleaning rooms in CQB throwing the grenade below your chest, 5 or 10 meters away from maximum.

As renegadecow sais, timer means icrease the grenade size. There is a [ur=http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/2198]Spanish grenade (Zoxna)[/url] that has a timer, but is biger and expensive.

As renegadecow sais, timer means icrease the grenade size. There is a [ur=http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/news2/2198]Spanish grenade (Zoxna)[/url] that has a timer, but is biger and expensive.

I have the zoxna.

Comletely useless.

To heavy to safely throw. The bb spread patern is 2 dimentional at best. The fuse time is too long to make it a viable trap.

But, it is easy to use & very powerfull.

A lighter/smaller version with a shorter fuse, 3 dimentional spread & the same amount of power would be perfect.

Greg.

I have been toying with the idea of making a grenade using a POM 40mm gas shell but I got stuck on how to find a compact timer system also. The best Idea I could come up with that didn't rely on gas was this:

http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/1695/nade.jpg

There are 2 rubber wheels (this is the friction method, you could also use a gears with teeth on the plunger) these grip the plunger on either side and roll, they allow the plunger to move up and down, the speed of which is controlled by how tightly the thread on which the wheels rotate is set. Tighten the wheels (or cogs) and they move more slowly giving you more time before the plunger is depressed.

The plunger is released when the narrower section passes the wheels (releasing the grip on the plunger and allowing it to be sprung downward. The spring would either have to be compressive and be inside a hollow plunger or elastic pulling the pin in to the gas release valve. It has a few flaws but I think it's workable?

Archived